• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What was wrong with the old fashioned all-metal dipstick?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But automotive reviews thinks that is outdated technology, and they still complain about the current technology of HVAC controls buried in infotainment menus

I read too many auto reviews, but pretty much quit reading any review that discusses infotainment and electronic driver aids before how the car actually drives.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I read too many auto reviews, but pretty much quit reading any review that discusses infotainment and electronic driver aids before how the car actually drives.

Can you tell me which reviews you *do* read, 'coz that's the retardulosity I'm wading through everywhere.

Seriously, at this point it's easier for me to wade through Honda tech IP than sit through review flim flam about the infotainment and useless lane keeping.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Car and Driver used to be my go-to. They never shied away from calling out stupid stuff like HVAC nonsense.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don’t laugh- Apple is toying with the idea of building a car - from the ground up. Why would they want to? Apparently it’s all about the OS. Apple software would control all the info ( and infotainment) in the car where you are a essentially captive for a not inconsiderable amount of time.
this is a profit engine for them. These amenities are what sells a lot of cars these days. Two things apple excels at are product development and supply chain management so it will be interesting.On the other hand, it gives new meaning to the “ spinning wheel of death”....

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you tell me which reviews you *do* read, 'coz that's the retardulosity I'm wading through everywhere.

Even the best are trending a bit in this direction.

Car & Driver and Autoweek suit me best.

Anybody else have any? I am NOT a video guy.

These amenities are what sells a lot of cars these days.

True.

(pauses to weep silently into his morning bowl of fruit, granola and yogurt)

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You think you have problems, I've heard GM switched from rubber transmission seals to teflon in thier trucks. Let's see how well that goes.
I recall attending a failure analysis seminar where an ex GM quality engineer noted how big business's supply chain worked. Noted how they had a slew of V6 head gasket issues due to their Supply Chain's decision to save 20 cents on a cheaper gasket and not have it validated with engineering.

Sad thing is we had a 3.1L that failed a few years later. Seems it may have been an issue that extended past Supply Chain.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just checked the oil on my brother-in-law's car, a Honda Fit.
He is a bit technologically inept, .......

It has a bright orange plastic tab at the business end, the same color as the handle. Plus the tab has a slightly raised edge, making it harder to fully wipe it. The color contrast with oil is poor, and you don't get as distinct a bead at the edge of the wetted area as with oil on metal.

perhaps file a few fine groves into the plastic in order to "grab" and display the oil a bit better?

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Still better than the BMWs with no dipstick at all. Just an electronic sensor that doesn;t display until the engine has been and driven for a few minutes. Totally stupid.
Or Porsche. Although I've run into zero issues, apparently it's quite a pain given the large amount of oil in the system that doesn't fully drain (front rads + rear engine = lots of hoses) combined with needing the engine at operating temp to get a readout takes some time to get the level just right.

Sponsor

Staff online