• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When is it too hot to ride?

When is it too hot to ride?

• 90º F

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • 95º F

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • 100º F

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • 105º F

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Its never too hot to ride

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • 85º F. I'm a heat weenie

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • In true fashion on a forum...It's complicated

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Rode in the 90's with high humidity today. Wouldn't have left the house if I weren't riding an ebike. Nice to be able to sit and just spin up a hill if you're feeling overheated. Should have taken some pictures. Rocks were soaked with sweat.

Yeh, we got a wind front come through around 3:30-4, chilled us down to the mid 80s with humidity in the mid-60s. It was downright nice.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Too hot now in this area to ride due to an insane heat dome !

A bit of a heat in Canada & PNW
6/27/21

From twitter: (Lytton BC is halfway between Vancouver and Revelstoke BC It's an area that gets massive snowfall in winter)
Rob's Obs @robsobs 1h
BREAKING: Lytton BC has hit a maximum temperature of 45.5C (114F) as of 240 pm local, setting a new ALL TIME MAXIMUM for anywhere in Canada.
Old record was 45.0C (113F) in July 1937.
Temp will certainly go a bit higher this afternoon with a few more hours of heating to go #BCheat [confirmed by Environment Canada]

From Wash Post:
All-time record highs set today
Portland reached at least 110 degrees, topping 108 from Saturday.
Salem, Ore., reached at least 112 degrees, topping 108 from 1927, 1941, and 1981.
Eugene, Ore., reached at least 110 degrees, topping 108 from 1981.
Hoquiam, Wash., hit at least 102 degrees, topping 95 from 2016.

Seattle Wa surged to 102 degrees Saturday second-highest ever in any month (104F is highest )
Seattle expects 104F today and 111F Monday << @dovski better crawl into a cool wine cellar. :doh:

Heat moves into Alberta Tues & Wed with possible 115F temperatures.
Canada is now hotter than the desert SW !

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
It's not just a matter of the the temperature. The key player for me once it gets over 80 degree is the DEW POINT!
Above a 65 reading and I won't be happy out there. Dew points 70 or higher, I'm just not going out to play...

Last edited:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Temperature, humidity, exposure, ride profile... they all factor in, along with general fitness, recent rides, etc.
Today we started a 30-miler at 11:00 with 85* temps, but dew point in the high 60's. Fourth hilly ride of 30+ in four days. Several exposed 8-11% climbs ... and I was cooked by the end.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
My tolerance for heat has diminished over the years, and it was never that high to begin with.

I’m primarily a road rider; the asphalt gets baked and then I feel to heat radiating back to me as well as from the sun. If the forecasted high is in the 90’s - just no. Usually if it’s that hot it’s coupled with suffocating humidity as well.

I just don’t find those conditions to be in any way enjoyable. Today was a forecasted high of 91 - I just put the bike on the trainer and rode there.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My tolerance for heat has diminished over the years, and it was never that high to begin with.

I’m primarily a road rider; the asphalt gets baked and then I feel to heat radiating back to me as well as from the sun. If the forecasted high is in the 90’s - just no. Usually if it’s that hot it’s coupled with suffocating humidity as well.

I just don’t find those conditions to be in any way enjoyable. Today was a forecasted high of 91 - I just put the bike on the trainer and rode there.
Your bike has a trainer?
:duck:

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Been a really weird stretch of weather. PNW has 105+ temps, and I rode this morning, not in the PNW, in full early spring gear: bib knickers, 3 top layers including wind jacket, thermal cap under helmet, shoe covers, and full fingered gloves. Was still cold on downhills. Barely over 43 degrees when I started.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If I'm on a descent I don't care much. Maybe hot weather is the time for lift service.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
If I'm on a descent I don't care much. Maybe hot weather is the time for lift service.

This is why the Ebike helps so much when it's hot.

Wearing full body armor and a full face helmet is no pleasure when it's hot and humid.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Do not eat protein, do not eat fats. Carbs and salt and no warmup. The moment you think you're 'warmed up', head back in 'coz you're about to flirt with heat stroke.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wearing full body armor and a full face helmet is no pleasure when it's hot and humid.
Yeah, in my head I wasn't thinking full-on downhill. I was just musing about the breeze. :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yeah, in my head I wasn't thinking full-on downhill. I was just musing about the breeze. :)

You haven't been in situations where hot wind dehydrates faster than it can possibly cool.

Long sleeve "sun" gear and tri bars can be your very good friends, especially in low moisture zones like our friends out west.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It's usually hard to get that in the east, with the big exception of urban circuit racing.\

EDIT: this thread has me thinking of lemon pasta. 93F today, perfect excuse. :D

Last edited:

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Too hot now in this area to ride due to an insane heat dome !

Seattle Wa surged to 102 degrees Saturday second-highest ever in any month (104F is highest )
Seattle expects 104F today and 111F Monday << @dovski better crawl into a cool wine cellar. :doh:
But that would require taking out my wine and doing so would just create a lot of really expensive vinegar :eek:
image.jpg

Good thing we have AC!

That said our pup is feeling the heat :pug:
image.jpg

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heat, humidity, shade, wind, all play a role. Also is acclimatization. The first few hot days each summer are murder for me. But a random hot day in august with the same temps, not so bad.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Supposed to be record highs here in Reno today so @Andy Mink @Philpug and I tried to get an early start. By the time we got home between 9:30 -10:00, it was already 96º F here.
Andy has a giant set!
08EFE8ED-DDC2-4902-BA05-B40B22A4AF1F.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online