• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When the time comes to go back out there.

tag

Booting up
Skier
Well, not the first thread that I would like to post here (former EpicSki guy, been dropping by from time to time, but hadn't chipped in on anything yet). My season this year was cut short. On my second day of skiing, took a fall, essentially broke my neck and spent the rest of the season in the hospital regaining movement in my arms and legs. Many blessings to the great staff at Craig Hospital in Denver, by the way. Incredible people and facility. So, my doctors are recommending that if I have healed up enough to ski next season that I should book a lesson for my first time out, preferably with an instructor that knows how to work with disabled or handicapped skiers. Do most ski schools have such instructors on staff? Thoughts? Life-long skier here, part of me thinks this will be like riding a bike, it will all just come back to me.

P.S. Kudo's also to the Copper Mountain Ski Patrol. First time in 60+ years of skiing that I've had to have Ski Patrol pull me off the mountain and they did a great job.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Ouch! Good job healing up and thinking of getting back out there. :thumb:
I don't have any personal experience with what you're going through..but I would say that, even though you know how to do it, the problem is likely that your body can't respond to "commands" the way it used to. There may be some method to increase responsiveness. Get that muscle memory back..

Best of luck man! Get well!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
WOW. That is why this is called the infirmary. You have our support. Look at the bight side, you now have more time to catch up on old discussions you might have missed.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Winter Park is supposed to have a very good disabled skier program. No direct experience with them, but I've seen them out on the hill quite a lot.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
@tag That is terrible. Very glad you are gluing back together. Winter park is one of the earliest areas to have a SS specializing in physical challenges. No doubt others do but WP was one of the 1st.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I remember you. WOW! You didn't miss a lot this season. Next season will be much better. Pretty sure many of the big resorts have adaptive programs in their ski schools.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Wow, what a horrible and terrifying injury. I hope you are healing as well and quickly as can be expected. Kudos to you to be thinking ahead to next season and being able to get back out there.

So, my doctors are recommending that if I have healed up enough to ski next season that I should book a lesson for my first time out, preferably with an instructor that knows how to work with disabled or handicapped skiers. Do most ski schools have such instructors on staff?
I recommend searching out a resort that has a solid adaptive program; my son had a brain tumor when he was 4 1/2 (he is now 20) and he had a post-surgical stroke that resulted in permanent left sided hemiparesis/hemiplegia and a dense left visual field deficit. He has skied with adaptive programs here in the east at Loon and Sunday River, and in the west at Winter Park and Big Sky. If the west works better for you, as others have mentioned, Winter Park has a very professional and structured program.

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Crested Butte has an Adaptive Sports Center that is very active, serving a wide range of skiers and boarders. As it's a year round operation it has programs in summer sports too. Their building at the base of the resort is full service with meals and lodging for those who need them.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I think your chances of successful skiing next season is much more dependent on your therapy this spring/summer/fall than any specific ski training you get next winter.

Find a good Physical Therapist to work on balance, movement, conditioning, etc... and follow through with all exercises recommended. Do this now and continue through summer and fall. This is your best bet for success next season.

TS
T

tag

Booting up
Skier
Start of the season and it's questionable if I will be back on the slopes this year. Balance and strength still not where I'd like them to be, and my Doc hasn't given me the green light to get out there. The neuropathy issues make getting into my ski boots a painful experience. Bummed to think that I might miss another season.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Start of the season and it's questionable if I will be back on the slopes this year. Balance and strength still not where I'd like them to be, and my Doc hasn't given me the green light to get out there. The neuropathy issues make getting into my ski boots a painful experience. Bummed to think that I might miss another season.
Look into the Nordica HF 110. This is the boot that allowed me to get my right foot back in a ski boot. Just an idea and maybe something to look at.
Good luck with your recovery!

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
Wishing you all the best for recovery! I visited the mountains with a family member who could not ski this year… being in the beautiful mountains, enjoying nature, and a little snowshoeing was very therapeutic.Hoping you can find similar enjoyment while you heal.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I was about this close to buying these this Fall https://www.nordica.com/usa/en/men/boots/medium-wide-102mm-2/hf/hf-110
Went with some Atomics instead. Yesterday was cold and made me rethink my choice.
Would agree with your doctors suggestion and consider going through an entire progression in a private; a couple hours should get you well on your way.
Idea #2 is to do some cross country skiing first. You are an old ski bum, approach it as gently as your comfort level allows and build from there. The whole idea is to just get you comfortable sliding on skis and build from there.
Mastering the 6" between your ears will be the challenge, mastering it will be a sweet victory.
Very best of luck with whatever route you follow.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Keep working on it. You will have to deal with reduced expectations but plenty of spinal chord injuries turn out a lot worse than missing ski season. Good luck!

TS
T

tag

Booting up
Skier
At the two year mark, my doc wasn't exactly thrilled with my returning to skiing as in "I'm not saying you can't, but I'm not saying you should." My physical therapist was a little more on the "What are you, nuts?" side of the argument as I continue to work on my balky right side and my balance. My wife was more on the 'you do what you have to do' attitude. I promised my son the paramedic that he could accompany me when the day came for me to try skiing again. So this past February, two years and a couple of months removed from my lying at the top of Copper Mountain unable to move, he and I went down to Buck Hill and I got an hours worth of skiing in. Really tentative and nowhere near how I used to ski, still..... Now comes the fun part - learning how to ski within the limitations of how my body is working and hoping at the three year mark this December that I can be back in the mountains again.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@tag did you win a pair of skis once upon a time off epicski or this website? Best wishes.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yep, a little bit tentative to fully get weight on the right ski, but YOU DID IT!!! Smooth in-control skiing. Nice.

Reactions: tag
TS
T

tag

Booting up
Skier
@tag did you win a pair of skis once upon a time off epicski or this website? Best wishes.
Yup, won a drawing on the old epicski site. Can't even remember the brand now. Beautiful boutique skis, were a prototype pair. Great to look at, skied like crap at any speed under 30 mph. I do still have the carbon/graphite ski poles though.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
At the two year mark, my doc wasn't exactly thrilled with my returning to skiing as in "I'm not saying you can't, but I'm not saying you should." My physical therapist was a little more on the "What are you, nuts?" side of the argument as I continue to work on my balky right side and my balance. My wife was more on the 'you do what you have to do' attitude. I promised my son the paramedic that he could accompany me when the day came for me to try skiing again. So this past February, two years and a couple of months removed from my lying at the top of Copper Mountain unable to move, he and I went down to Buck Hill and I got an hours worth of skiing in. Really tentative and nowhere near how I used to ski, still..... Now comes the fun part - learning how to ski within the limitations of how my body is working and hoping at the three year mark this December that I can be back in the mountains again.

AWESOME!

Sponsor

Staff online