• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why do so many powder skiing videos look like stem turns?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Perfectly carved parallel turns aren't always the best tool in the box for the job at hand.. The more uneven and inconsistant the terrain gets the more adjustments outside of that arc need to be slarved..

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Some camera shots make body angles seem incorrect or painful looking. But they say the camera doesn't lie.
900x900px-LL-fc554add_d12a75e8_marspring4.jpg

900x900px-LL-85d675cb_marspring10.jpg

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
aa_0093w.jpg

(video...Steep smooth wind buff powder surface of some softness one must engage with an appropriate level of resistance to efficiently smoothly balance against gravity acceleration. Be it breakable fresh soft cake? Engage too little and free falling speed. Engage too much and risk loosing it in a high speed traverse. But that is no option in chutes.

Day upon clear after a 50"+ low elevation Sierra Nevada dump. Swimming the thin top surfaces of a special physical medium in this amazing universe. A most wonderful happy elastic dynamic rebounding balancing fun, down and down, hopefully at least some of the time, past interesting peripheral trees and slope features one continually makes most fun decisions about. Shins and knees softly parting a white sifting sea of crystaline water H2O snowflakes making soft ssshhhh sounds. Feeling the visceral softness of snow pressure against the front of one's inner ski pants.

aa_0104y.jpg

Last edited:

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
View attachment 181867

(video...Steep smooth wind buff powder surface of some softness one must engage with an appropriate level of resistance to efficiently smoothly balance against gravity acceleration. Be it breakable fresh soft cake? Engage too little and free falling speed. Engage too much and risk loosing it in a high speed traverse. But that is no option in chutes.

Day upon clear after a 50"+ low elevation Sierra Nevada dump. Swimming the thin top surfaces of a special physical medium in this amazing universe. A most wonderful happy elastic dynamic rebounding balancing fun, down and down, hopefully at least some of the time, past interesting peripheral trees and slope features one continually makes most fun decisions about. Shins and knees softly parting a white sifting sea of crystaline water H2O snowflakes making soft ssshhhh sounds. Feeling the visceral softness of snow pressure against the front of one's inner ski pants.

View attachment 181868
Feel free to do that at any time :snow::snow::snow:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't get to ski a lot of powder but I've always wondered about this. Below is an example. Is it just the perspective of the video or the nature of the terrain?

The few times I have been fortunate enough to ski powder, I feel that you can get away with slightly poorer technique and that maintaining speed matters more.

View attachment 181826
The person skiing can't edge pure and simple. Quickly listed, technique, ski type, ski width, conditions, and poor tune could all be the cause. Likely a combination of all of them.

True powder and soft snow skiing is different as it compensates a little for poor edging skills (actually rewards them a bit) as a hard set edge in powder initiates too much grab.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
View attachment 181867

View attachment 181868
That video is too much slow-motion. I started watching it, but gave up before the skier came into view. Ain't nobody got time for that! ogwink

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think there's a lot of armchair quarterbacking going on here (and a few people who have probably never skied something like this in their life saying the skier in the video can't ski well). This has nothing to do with powder and everything to do with terrain. That's a somewhat narrow chute at a pitch that probably exceeds 45°. It's not about looking pretty, it's about not screwing up, because a screw up there would have big consequences. I'm guessing the slight wedge at initiation isn't something they're intentionally doing. But it probably happens naturally as they try to shorten the radius and bring the skis around faster in narrow, steep terrain.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think there's a lot of armchair quarterbacking going on here (and a few people who have probably never skied something like this in their life saying the skier in the video can't ski well). This has nothing to do with powder and everything to do with terrain. That's a somewhat narrow chute at a pitch that probably exceeds 45°. It's not about looking pretty, it's about not screwing up, because a screw up there would have big consequences. I'm guessing the slight wedge at initiation isn't something they're intentionally doing. But it probably happens naturally as they try to shorten the radius and bring the skis around faster in narrow, steep terrain.
Exactly, is this guy stemming? Yes. Is he a better skier than everyone in this thread? Also yes.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Hyperbole is entering the disagreements in this thread. It usually doesn't end well. I'm enjoying this discussion and hope people rein themselves in before things go south.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Those are just more dynamic, fat ski turns in steep terrain. If your body angulation is such your skis can't be exactly parallel. It's like, physics and sh1t.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I doubt that you would see, let's say Tim Petrick, skiing like that.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well that guy would be missing out on the fun new techniques that have developed with free riding on fat skis.

Fat skis started changing the way we look at lines back in the mid 90’s. The body angulation a lot of free skiers use often tucks the uphill knee deep into the chest and we let that uphill ski follow through as it floats on the surface. That gives our two skis a more triangular shape than traditional parallel turns.

you can see it in this classic Powder cover of Kreitler from 1999.
FFDBCA8A-6EAD-4876-BCA2-55DE81374D0D.jpeg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Well that guy would be missing out on the fun new techniques that have developed with free riding on fat skis.

Fat skis started changing the way we look at lines back in the mid 90’s. The body angulation a lot of free skiers use often tucks the uphill knee deep into the chest and we let that uphill ski follow through as it floats on the surface. That gives our two skis a more triangular shape than traditional parallel turns.

you can see it in this classic Powder cover of Kreitler from 1999. View attachment 182033

If you don’t know who Tim Patrick is, his contributions to the sport, and what he skis on, you are probably not qualified to have this conversation with me.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The human instinct for SELF PRESERVATION?!

As noted by Bob:

That vid has nothing to do with powder and everything to do with consequences of the terrain. Sticking the turns way more important than perfect textbook visuals.

SIDE NOTE: I know time marches on, but every time I see Tim's name, I really, really miss his (and Lito T-F's) writings in Powder Magazine! :(

Smear

Getting off the lift
Skier
Exactly, is this guy stemming? Yes. Is he a better skier than everyone in this thread? Also yes.

Got curious and had to google the guy. Thinking let the people with "even lower FIS points" or better FWT ranking throw the first stones...

Got very surprised when the first video that showed up was a ski video from ski touring in my home town mountains.

Enjoy the scenery, damn I miss home, the vibe and the skiing. Remember that unsolicited MA on people that have not asked for it is rude and inappropriate even on the internet.

He is no ex-racer but an ex-nordic combined athlete (ski jumping and XC) and has pursued alpine skiing semi-professionaly for the last 12 years or so.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking for myself, because I do it all the time (even though I know who Tim Petrick is :rolleyes:), I am bracing my downhill leg to control speed. I recognize when I'm doing it. I should try not to do it. But I still do it.

Sponsor

Staff online