• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why You Should Pull the Trigger on the LEKI Trigger 3D Poles

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, I’m intrigued. Is there a reason to do it that way rather than reduce the diameter of the bamboo to accommodate the LEKI grip?
Didn’t want to mess with possibly disturbing the structural strength of the bamboo

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I forgot my Trigger poles today and was reminded how much I dislike regular straps after I borrowed some poles from the rental shop. PITA! I also discovered it’s quite impossible to stomp out of a LOOK SPX binding because the heel pieces are very upright. I harassed a little kid for a pole so I could release my bindings before I got the loaner poles. Thankfully I was able to ski right to my car and grab a long umbrella out of the back to get the skis off when I was done :roflmao:

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just a word to the wise: If you buy any of these LEKI Trigger system pieces, check the fit before you start using them. I bought the Trigger S gloves to go with the poles and the loop on the left handed glove is too small to smoothly fit the pole. I decided to run with it in the hopes it would open up as this season played out. It has not...

I've reached out to LEKI to see if they can do anything for me, but since i've been using it a couple months now I don't have high hopes.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I though I had already chimed in into this all too important thread!
It seems not.
I have been using LEKI Triggers since the early 2000's...
In their first iteration it was a bit...too easy for the strap to get off but the poles itself were really good, IIRC it was a Ventrix hybrid Alu/Carbon model (printed on it "ULTRA" "HTC 6.0"), somewhere in here there is a thread form me about it being broken and an attempt to mend it, it worked for a while but then it broke down again. Not the pole fault, it had been a "user error" (my son, who had borrowed the poles for the day, "stepped" on the lower carbon half with the ski edge whilst making a turn...resulting in an almost clean cut); despite me offering LEKI to pay for a spare one if sent to me, they plainly refused. Claming the model was too old and out of production when the incident occured.
I still have the pair in my basement.
Nevertheless, at that time I had moved on and was using already another pair, full carbon with the Trigger S. Very light and comfortable.
Only thing, those were a tad too long for me (125 cm), according to some coach. Thus I went to a shop to have them shortened and...they basically destroyed both poles by crunching the (carbon) shaft in a vise ( not satisfied with the first one, they repeated the procedure with the second) and doing I don't know what they did to the handles and to the tips (both were broken and bent).These are now, broken handles and broken tips unrepaired and "mended shaft" (thanks to duct tape) my "Alpine Inline" poles. In the shop favour and needless to say, the gave me free of costs, a brand new pair, only a full alu version (but comparable in market value) in the 120 cm measure. Prior to that and to test if I felt comfortable using shorter poles (I had been using 125 cm poles for some 20 years at that point in time) I purchased a heavily used full alu world cup model (at a bargain price). This one now sports SL hand guards and I use it in SL gates.
Amidst those I found at a shop sale a full carbon 130 cm (I think) off piste model with traditional straps, that I use off piste only. Price was a bargain, colour was somehow matching my black/gold Gotamas, how could I resist?
Last pair I bought is again an hybrid Alu/Carbon (in 120 cm) with Trigger S, Venom model, I bought it pre-pandemic and prematurely, in a burst of optimism, as a prize in celebration of my passing the L2 exam (not PSIA, but it is equivalent to the PSIA L3). Since I failed the exam so many times, those stayed in the basement until this season, when I actually passed. So last Sunday they came off for the first time and tasted snow.
I must say that overall I am quite satisfied by LEKI poles performances. A bit less so of the gloves (I have two pairs both full leather, one WC fingers red/white with titanium knuckles guard and a WC red white mitten, again with titanium knuckles protection). They are not particularly warm and the five fingers seams have come opened in places...Still they offer the best integration with the poles.
Talking about the Venoms, I am quite satisfied by that hybrid model, it's increased weight (compared to the previous full alu model, but thinner) providing a sense of stability to the overall skiing feeling without having a noticeable effect while swinging. I need to use them a bit more, but I felt that the increased weight, if used correctIy might have been helping me stay more centered...
I noticed too , back in January, in some still taken out of a clip shot of me during an exercise where quite some effort was required while pole planting (jump turns) that the thinnier full alu models I was using then was bending under the pressure and that undermined, to my eye, the whole exercise "performance"(at least visually/aesthetically)...So lighter isn't always better...
Concluding, yes definitely pull the trigger on LEKI poles (and gloves) but choose with consideration which model for which use.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For those wondering, and if it hasn't been posted upthread, the trigger DOES release in a good fall. :rolleyes: :philgoat:

Nobody

Skier
..it depends what is a "good fall". I fell, hard, some years ago. When I stopped, my poles had indeed come off, BUT with the gloves (those white red of above) still attached and turned inside out...

Magikarp

Putting on skis
Skier
Here are my "LEKI" poles. Someone locally made these for me when my LEKI carbon fiber poles broke. I don't think I'll ever use a carbon fiber pole again.
20230210_143329.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm so afraid of carbon poles that I just replaced my perfectly functional 20-year old pair out of FEAR!!!!

And sale pricing and Ski Essentials bonus bucks.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm so afraid of carbon poles that I just replaced my perfectly functional 20-year old pair out of FEAR!!!!

And sale pricing and Ski Essentials bonus bucks.
When carbon fiber fails it usually fails “catastrophically”. In other words no bending, no visible cracks, it just breaks, often without warning. Chips from ski edges are enough to compromise it. When I see cyclists using carbon fiber seat posts, it makes me shudder. I’m not anti carbon fiber I just think the price/performance/durability triad doesn’t make sense in these applications.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I see cyclists using carbon fiber seat posts, it makes me shudder.

Let me set your mind at ease: I race mtbs at 192 pounds and have been riding carbon fiber Bontrager seat posts for maybe 15 years without issue.

Quoting myself here to get at least a bit back on topic, I'm a classic pole grips with straps kind of guy, and I can report that the new version of Scott's SRS grips are still absolutely horrid!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I do not like these poles/grip at all. I have a pair of 115 Stella S for sale.

The strap does not stay in the clip. When I skate they come off. And I'm used to not taking my straps/poles off for the ride up. (Unless I'm riding with kids, then I need them as a safety bar) I can't keep the straps on and pull down the safety bar either. So I'm selling these.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've tried these and have a pair....its an interesting concept but just doesn't really work for me. I don't mind regular straps...take them off in the trees and generally have no problem with them. Normally, I like advanced tech and interesting solutions...this time it didn't feel like a huge upgrade.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
My 2 cents. Broke one tip releasing a pivot heel. LEKI replaced it. Didn't do that again. Kept releasing trigger when loading and losing a pole. Ok I'm done. Back to $5 metal poles. Gotta nice pair in the ski room.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jesus, what do you do if that happens when you're miles out on the trail. Ride home standing the whole way I guess?

Yup, twice before I gave up on those. Extra good workout!

Nobody

Skier
..it depends what is a "good fall". I fell, hard, some years ago. When I stopped, my poles had indeed come off, BUT with the gloves (those white red of above) still attached and turned inside out...
Just for the record.
These are the LEKI gloves that were attached to the poles "turned inside out" after the fall recounted above
WhatsApp Image 2023-02-20 at 14.15.03 (1).jpeg

Notice the freshly applied "work of art" with the tri-colour duct tape.
All four fingers seams are broken (due to the leather breaking, not tothe seams coming off) and cold was "fintering through those gaping holes, I first (a couple of years ago) applied the common silver duct tape to close the holes.
Then last year removed it, thinking to find a good seamstress to mend them. Failing to find one, decided to re-apply duct tape. But had the idea to use tri-colour (to represent the Italian flag).
These are the gloves I now use in GS (and SL) gates, given the good knucle protection that the metal guard offer. Given their age, they are a bit cold anyway (the lining has packed out completely). Alas are not produced anymore, so I am really hesitant to lay them to rest...

Magikarp

Putting on skis
Skier
My LEKI grip "triggers" get jammed from snow sometimes, anyone else has this issue? What should I use to make it better? WD-40, door lock dry lube, anti-freeze, or something else?

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, I’m intrigued. Is there a reason to do it that way rather than reduce the diameter of the bamboo to accommodate the LEKI grip?

Didn’t want to mess with possibly disturbing the structural strength of the bamboo
I whittled down the diameter of the bamboo with my sharp pocket knife to accommodate the LEKI Trigger grips. I‘ve been using them for probably 6-7 years without any problems. I don’t think the structural integrity of the bamboo has been altered in any appreciable way.

Sponsor

Staff online