• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is a narrower ski less fatiguing overal?

• yes, a narrower ski will be less fatiguing, easier to move on average

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • no, a wider ski will be less fatiguing, easier to move around, we're not carving high angles anyway

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes, narrower will be easier most of the time, except in deep, heavy snow.

Votes: 39 75.0%
  • not really, a wider ski will be easier to move around when it counts the most.

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think a ski narrower than 106 but not too narrow, like 88-96ish would be a good compromise and less work for her knees overall. Sure fatter might give more float in powder but fatter skis also just tend to be heavier. I would also look for a somewhat soft ski.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
OK, we're on page six. It's time to throw another curve. How wide should a 160 lb skier go for best results for skiing deep wet snow at ludicrous speed (with the appropriate helmet of course;).
69, May the Schwartz be with you!!!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Travelling ski from MN?

The heart -- hoping for powder most of the time -- says 105, but the brain says 95.

And, FWIW, the more conditions my wife skis her Black Pearls in, the more she skis them, if she has any doubt at all about the day's conditions.

While my post above may seem sarcastic, I seriously am amazed at the quality of information that Phil espouses. As well as the breadth and depth of his knowledge.

Good God man, stop this! @Tricia has to live with this guy!

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
I'm joining this thread late, but have some thoughts being a female skier. I've been very impressed with how well wide skis hold an edge these days. More and more manufacturers are realizing people want skis that can handle a lot of conditions not just a fat rockered one for powder that stinks everywhere else. Sounds like your wife is a good skier, who could benefit from shorter skis; less swing weight but also less to "stay on top of,' i.e. aggressive knees overs toes action. While I enjoy skiing big powder skis, a 95 waist performs really well in almost everything except a big powder day.

Here's a few I'd recommend mostly in the sub 100 category:

Volkl Kenja
Armada Victa 93
Armada Trace 98
Atomic Vantage W 95
Blizzard Black Pearl 98
Blizzard Sheeva 10 102

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just in case anyone cares, St Nicolas did bring her the 170cm K2 Fullavit 95.

She just skied them along with her new boots for the first time on green groomer, man made corn then slush here in Duluth yesterday. Certainly satisfied the ease of pivot and turn initiation. I’m guessing her Dynastar Legend 10(full camber, 67mm waist) won’t get much use, she’s not into hard carving, more about smooth and easy.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And, unsurprisingly, after a day of skiing hardpack, her knees don’t hurt like they did with the 179, 108mm wide skis.

Sponsor

Staff online