• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wifey needs a fartbag

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
Title says it all, I guess. My bride's looking for a one-piece suit. We've taken a look at the Tipsy Elves, Shinesty, and the Amazon specials, but no dice yet. She's a pretty fair-weather skier, so we don't need no fancy-shmancy Gore-Tex (necessarily), would love room for layering underneath, and ideally a hood big enough to go over a helmet for the lift rides. Suggestions/sources are welcome! Thanks!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Title says it all, I guess. My bride's looking for a one-piece suit. We've taken a look at the Tipsy Elves, Shinesty, and the Amazon specials, but no dice yet. She's a pretty fair-weather skier, so we don't need no fancy-shmancy Gore-Tex (necessarily), would love room for layering underneath, and ideally a hood big enough to go over a helmet for the lift rides. Suggestions/sources are welcome! Thanks!

Can be a tough-ish find these days.

Fashion be damned, maybe check out some snowmobile suits?!

Or: https://www.backcountry.com/airblas...eJGJY4T4OZWv7XELJJp49VKi0vGG53IRoCxyIQAvD_BwE

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Are you looking for sexy and stretchy or poofy and comfy?

I tried something like this one on and almost bought it.

57DC1D21-8876-4E51-B5AA-3EB6EF70D1A1.JPG

TS
M

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
Poofy and comfy, she's past showing off her figure! I figure she can layer underneath, so ideally thinly insulated or a shell

Edit: colors other than black are the ticket...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Thinly insulated or a shell? I am a huge fan of MTB suits. I have a Vaude and a Dirtlej - the Dirtlej has 8 snow days in 2022.

Upsides: over-helmet hood, no washing, zipoff legs for warm days. Downsides: get loud at <10F and need a standoff (fleece or pro padding) layer, you don't want to wear them against skin or thin baselayer.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Try thrift stores if you have any in your area. I've seen more than one good quality, good looking one piece over the years.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@motogreg Outside of Klim....DSG is the best and most durable winter women's gear Wifey has found ... Period! She has hips and swears by their varied fit profiles. I'm in awe of the durability and fashion component. When it gets cold WIfey grabs her DSG gear or Klim. Right now she's telling me; "... today it's 30 degrees, and that is when I use my "regular" ski clothes. 15 degrees or colder I grab Klim or DSG and my ski gear stays home. "

Not the puffy snowmobile gear of old. Snowmobile gear is light years ahead of ski gear when it comes to matching durability w/ warmth. These Women's Monosuits even have a dropseat for women's bathroom needs. I have NOTHING to do w/ DSG. Wifey just loves the Women's innovations in their gear. It's by women for women. Like DSG, when it comes to sizing more manufacturers need to take note of what Real women look like ! DSG builds multiple sizing options w/in their gear. If you're short like Wifey, you can adjust on the fly. If you're tall and/or wider in areas, same options w/in the same garment. :beercheer:

Last edited:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Why a one-piece? Not judging…just curious. IMO, bibs and a jacket offer all of the same coverage and comforts but are 1000x more versatile.

If it’s the look she’s going for, I agree with the suggestion above for Oneskee. Also Airblaster might be a good one to check out. Otherwise, just look on sites like Evo and Backcountry…one piece suits are out there (Burton, Picture, Helly, etc):

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Why a one-piece? Not judging…just curious. IMO, bibs and a jacket offer all of the same coverage and comforts but are 1000x more versatile.
A friend of mine rocks one and says she does it because it is warmer for her. Also, they are obviously good on powder days Although bibs and jacket might be reasonably close.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

A onesie is half the thickness of a bib + jacket combo around the midriff, includes the shoulder-suspension feature of the bib but does away with the ride-up-at-kidneys feature of short jacks.

The actual shortcomings of onesies have not been mentioned yet.

When tight around the waist they can restrict bending. Granted this is more apparent on a MTB than on skis.

When tight around the shoulders/upper chest they can be brutally hard to take off. As in- require a helper. Think straitjacket contortions here.

For this reason I am thinking of replacing my Vaude with an Endura Single Track.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A onesie is half the thickness of a bib + jacket combo around the midriff, includes the shoulder-suspension feature of the bib but does away with the ride-up-at-kidneys feature of short jacks.
This makes sense, but something that has never bothered me with bibs/jacket. I could see people with different body proportions having more discomfort with this though.
When tight around the waist they can restrict bending. Granted this is more apparent on a MTB than on skis.
Definitely. Or if you have a longer torso, bending over becomes quite uncomfortable. I have a onesie that I will wear skiing but won’t snowboard in due to the need to bend over to strap in each run.

My biggest gripe on onesies is the bathroom situation. I know some are now made with a zipper for easy access, so that would help the whole process. But as a lady, pulling your full suit down to your knees and trying to keep the sleeves and hood off of a public bathroom floor is always a challenge.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My biggest gripe on onesies is the bathroom situation. I know some are now made with a zipper for easy access, so that would help the whole process. But as a lady, pulling your full suit down to your knees and trying to keep the sleeves and hood off of a public bathroom floor is always a challenge.

I hear you. All the drysuit kayakers I know have Lady Js

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
This makes sense, but something that has never bothered me with bibs/jacket. I could see people with different body proportions having more discomfort with this though.

Definitely. Or if you have a longer torso, bending over becomes quite uncomfortable. I have a onesie that I will wear skiing but won’t snowboard in due to the need to bend over to strap in each run.

It's so easy. You pull the top off, stick the sleeves into the legs, then continue. When done correctly, nothing hits the floor!

Here are about 60 of my over 100 collection.
All in 2:17

Sponsor

Staff online