• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Window Shopping for Gravel Bikes

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
For pressures, a guy could type for hours, or simply say that this is a GREAT starting point:

Have you seen any tables that show two optima, completely not adjacent to each other, and surrounded by worse options?

One implication being that you really can't get to either optimum by intuitive/feel approximation?

( I haven't seen tables, just comments, but then I don't have Jan Heine's or Josh Poertner's latest app/data/tables)

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have you ridden with them loaded? Any shimmy, like on fast downhills?

I mostly use underframe bag (this one: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...nture-boss-frame-bag/p/35555/?colorCode=black). I haven't carried a heavy load in it ever because I haven't done a bike packing style trip. It does hold a mid size u-lock, tire pressure gauge, hex tool, phone etc. in a much more comfortable (to me) way than a backpack or jersey with pockets on it could. A lot of that stuff could go in the down tube storage but it would be harder to get to there. I can't say I've noticed the bag distorting handling very much when I take it off. I do think it's slows me down marginally but that could be in my head.

Vibration, shock, something else?

Rough, dry dirt paths are the issue I think the bars might be able to solve. I experience high frequency vibrations in my arms (not my ass) and I think the fancy bars on the SLR level bikes are supposed to have some kind of gel core thing to help soak those up (see here). Even chunky gravel feels fine and I doubt anything short of a full suspension mountain bike would help with roots which are the big impacts that aren't getting damped as much as I would prefer.

Interesting - here I have been racking my brain to restomod old steel to electronic shift.

My mini review on Rival e-Tap AXS - It's not clear to me it improves shift quality or speed, if there's a difference there it's pretty subtle. Some combination of the 1x chainring and eTap tech have fully eliminated chain drops that are not attributable to very bent derailleurs (I have shifted off the cassette and into the wheel twice and both times had very bent derailleurs from crashes that turned out to have been more significant than I thought at the time). In that sense eTap seems a bit more robust than a mechanical 2x GRX group set my wife has been running which has had rare, though more frequent than mine, chain drops. The biggest issue I have with eTap (and this is admittedly 100% user error) is that it's very possible to forget to put the battery back on after charging or if you remove it (as recommended) due to taking the bike on a long road trip. The battery issue is only really notable because I don't see a ton of obvious benefits to the system.

I don't have a lot of interest in trying Shimano Di2 setups because charging them would be harder (I gather you have to plug the bike in, the battery doesn't detach). I do think the removable (and swappable - on very long rides I carry a charged spare) SRAM setup is on balance better even though I find forgetting the battery frustratingly common.

Edit: also, I have a bit of paranoia about forgetting to charge frame integrated lithium ion batteries after I killed an old e-bike by neglecting to plug it in last winter.

Just straight line some potholes on a downhill - that'll teach your wheelsuckers :D

(You're not wrong, though there is also a period of adaptation when one joins any given group ride/wolfpack)

Yeah, I need to get back on that horse. I seem to be competitive enough I get cranky when I'm losing in part because of things I know money would help address. I'd rather buy a new mountain bike than the new wheels so I've been trying to control myself on that one...

Overall been great and had a ton of fun this summer with it :thumb:

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Rough, dry dirt paths are the issue I think the bars might be able to solve. I experience high frequency vibrations in my arms (not my ass) and I think the fancy bars on the SLR level bikes are supposed to have some kind of gel core thing to help soak those up (see here). Even chunky gravel feels fine and I doubt anything short of a full suspension mountain bike would help with roots which are the big impacts that aren't getting damped as much as I would prefer.

I have a set of low frequency steel tuning forks on their way to me right now. Testing stuff like bar feel is very much one of the intended uses :)

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I was wondering today if anyone still makes an Allsop beam bike. Maybe gravel would be ideal for it. Is Otis Guy still around?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was wondering today if anyone still makes an Allsop beam bike. Maybe gravel would be ideal for it. Is Otis Guy still around?

I don't think so. There was a time ages ago when I was so sick of breaking full sus mtbs that I was this close to buying a beam bike.

However, the basic concept of the Allsop stem is alive and well -- and pretty refined -- in the form of the Redshift Shockstop stem, which I love on my gravel bike.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Also consider Niner. This is a review that I wrote on the steel version. I liked it so much that i purchased the carbon version.

Used 'cross bikes are also superb, and a bargain. If it is flat where you live, and you have a 'cross community, most can't give brakes with caliper brakes away. Ultimately, with 4,000' descents here, I purchased the Niner, and sold my caliper braked Crux.

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
Do any of you have the urge to go back to your road bikes? I am considering gravel; this is from a POV of someone averaging 18/19+mph around here; will I miss the speed and cornering? Or is it just a slight downgrade for the ability to do stupid stuff like go on MTB single track with it?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Do any of you have the urge to go back to your road bikes? I am considering gravel; this is from a POV of someone averaging 18/19+mph around here; will I miss the speed and cornering?

For my own part the two are far enough apart to actually want two different bikes.

The geometry is slacker, the gearing is far lower, the cornering is not even close to being the same, the bars are wider and more tapered, all the components are heavier and de-facto less aero. Also for my own part, the tires and inserts I'm using on the GR bike I want nowhere near my road rig.

I'm sure I could go shop for a AR/GR bike that was aero and crit-geo, but then I wouldn't want to take it out by default, whatever nasty slop I wanted to ride that day. Or on super nasty paved roads.

EDIT: To sum up, yes, I absolutely have the urge to go back to the road bike, but more as an exception or treat. YMMV

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do any of you have the urge to go back to your road bikes? I am considering gravel; this is from a POV of someone averaging 18/19+mph around here; will I miss the speed and cornering? Or is it just a slight downgrade for the ability to do stupid stuff like go on MTB single track with it?

IME, that's a big yes. Keep the road bike, and don't worry about buying the lightest, most expensive gravel bike available.

Unless, you know, that's your jam, man! :geek:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm sure I could go shop for a AR/GR bike that was aero and crit-geo, but then I wouldn't want to take it out by default, whatever nasty slop I wanted to ride that day. Or on super nasty paved roads.
I did this on purpose when I finished (re)building my road bike with aero wheels and AXS.. Next day was raining and I used it to commute to work. Nothing quite like taking a brand new set up and getting it covered in nasty road grit. It really takes care of the "first scratch hurts the most" part of the process real quick.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I have ridden my road bike one time since getting the gravel bike. I'm not sure why I haven't gotten ride of it. 2004 LeMond Maillot Jaune --> Canyon Grail My daughter is really wanting us to do Ragbrai next year. I think I'd just run some skinnier tires on my Grail even for that.

scott43

Skier
I guess it depends on what you want. I really just want slightly longer wheelbase, two bottle mounts and ability to put 35s on. So I will basically use it as a Swiss Army knife. Gravel roads when encountered, road bike test of the time. And I'll just switch tires based on expected conditions.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January