• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WOMEN'S World Cup 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
7F732585-3A82-48A9-B425-E58756B77245.jpeg

GOGGIA
LGB
SHIFFRIN

(purely emotional picks)

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No - this is bold.

I kinda prefer italic myself...

(I'll show myself the door...)

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Goggia was amazing - almost perfect run !
MS 4th - nice ! BJ 9th.
Nicole Delgado has been having a better year - glad to see that. She’s a cutie.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Reported that Corinne Suter did not have any major injuries from her crash, whether she starts tomorrow is not yet decided.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Seems like both Gut and Shiffrin may have been hurt by their start positions, 20 and 21 respectively.
(Shiffrin was ranked 9th in downhill before this race, and Gut 10th.)
Did course conditions deteriorate that much?

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Shiffrin finishing in 4th and only a half second off the leader bodes well for some great results in the upcoming SGs. When have we last seen a female skier that has a solid chance of winning in all four disciplines? I am in awe.
Shiffrin, the last several years
Gisin, a contender (but not winner) in all 4 disciplines the last few years
Vlhova, not a winner in speed yet, but certainly a contender
Maze, up until her retirement
Vonn
Riesch

maple19

Getting on the lift
Skier
Vonn
Riesch
Although Shiffrin is not the only woman of her “era” to be a contender in both speed and tech, what she’s doing is simply remarkable. If you look at the stats, Vlhova has only been on a speed podium once (in SG), and as you said Gisin has never once won in speed - meanwhile Shiffrin has 8 wins and 16 podiums! Even Vonn “only” had 6 wins and 11 podiums in tech, and Shiffrin likely has many more speed races ahead of her. For me it’s the consistency with which she can be a contender that is so crazy.

Last edited:

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Although Shiffrin is not the only woman of her “era” to be a contender in both speed and tech, what she’s doing is simply remarkable. If you look at the stats, Vlhova has only been on a speed podium once (in SG), and as you said Gisin has never once won in speed - meanwhile Shiffrin has 8 wins and 16 podiums! Even Vonn “only” had 6 wins and 11 podiums in tech, and Shiffrin likely has many more speed races ahead of her. For me it’s the consistency with which she can be a contender that is so crazy.
I mean, Shiffrin is pretty clearly going to be the GOAT of women's ski racing when she retires.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Vonn
Riesch
Good list but I was thinking about who IN THE SAME SEASON had a serious chance to win in all four discplines. Not just a chance, but seriously in the hunt.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Good list but I was thinking about who IN THE SAME SEASON had a serious chance to win in all four discplines. Not just a chance, but seriously in the hunt.
Well, in 2022, Gisin was on the podium in SL, GS, and SG, and was top 10 in all 5 DHs she started (including a 4th). She has been on 4 DH podiums in her career.
In 2013, Maze won 11 world cup races, including at least one in all 5 disciplines. That same year, she also won 3 medals at world champs.
In 2009, Vonn won 9 world cup races, including 2 SL, 2 DH, 4 SG, and 1 KB. Was top-10 in several GS.

Shiffrin's exceptional no doubt.

It's pretty rare to actually win in all 4 in general, and only 7 women (and 5 men) have won in all 5 (including KB) for their careers (Paerson, Wiberg, Kronberger, Vonn, Kostelic, Maze, Shiffrin). I think only 4 women have ever won in the 4 main disciplines in the single year. Last to do it before Shiffrin in 2020 (the only time she's done it) was Maze in 2013; before that, Kostelic in 2006 (I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online