• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WOMEN'S World Cup 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Watching a bit of the qualifiers on replay, the race hill looks more interesting than many that have been used in previous WC parallel events

TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Well, the timing of this was unexpected (at least to me).

James

Out There
Instructor
Mike Day has left the building.

————————
“Mikaela wants to do something different going forward. She wants a new challenge. And she informed Mike and Mike decided to go home,” U.S. Alpine director Patrick Riml told The Associated Press on Wednesday. “It’s a shock for me that he took off.”

“He left yesterday,” Riml said. ”He’s on the plane probably now.“
—————-

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
C3318EE7-CE00-40DB-BCD7-3299442DD125.jpeg

Shiffrin
LGB
Bassino

4ster

Instructor
Amazing even though I shouldn’t be amazed! :) :micdrop::cool:

Awalkspoiled

Putting on skis
Skier
Apart from being thrilled, I was really intrigued on a technical level. Shiffrin looked like she was freeskiing - more on the first run than the second, but on both to some degree. Smooth, rhythmic style with lots of up-unweighting at the edge change - looked very old-school to me and not at all like her slalom skiing where her upper body tracks such a straight line (as it usually does in the true speed events also). Vlhova by contrast was using much more of a cross-under technique and was slower. I'd be curious to hear the thoughts of the real technicians among us - it's a long time since I did any racing myself.

4ster

Instructor
Apart from being thrilled, I was really intrigued on a technical level. Shiffrin looked like she was freeskiing - more on the first run than the second, but on both to some degree. Smooth, rhythmic style with lots of up-unweighting at the edge change - looked very old-school to me and not at all like her slalom skiing where her upper body tracks such a straight line (as it usually does in the true speed events also). Vlhova by contrast was using much more of a cross-under technique and was slower. I'd be curious to hear the thoughts of the real technicians among us - it's a long time since I did any racing myself.
Don't mistake her legs getting long with up-unweighting. I think she is just using a greater range of motion. She certainly did not come out of the gate full gas in run 1, looking like she was just cruising but I think nerves & perhaps a little olympic flashback had her feeling her way into that run as she smoked the final section. Opposite in run 2 were she came out firing! Not only is she a great racer, she is a smart one too.
I really thought she may have lost it with her 2nd bobble in run #2...

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Smooth, rhythmic style with lots of up-unweighting at the edge change
I'd be curious to hear the thoughts of the real technicians among us
Not a technician, not even sure if I'm real, but I can repeat what I've heard on commentary over here in recent seasons: last season, Felix Neureuther was saying that Lena Dürr could do with higher hips, that she's so low that when she tries to angulate she can only lean on the inside ski. This year, someone (think it was on ZDF), said that Wendy Holdener had been watching Kristoffersen and as a result had started skiing with higher hips. In the Men's thread, someone reported Frank Wörndl saying the same about Odermatt. Think the idea in the case of Holdener and Odermatt was to shorten the pressure phase through stacking. From what I recall, in the case of Dürr and Holdener, it was about the height of the stance rather than the transition per se.
Anyhow, like you I hope someone with more insight into what's current might chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online