• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

workouts to get in shape for ski season?

freddie

Booting up
Skier
Hello

I haven't been very active the last few months and am worried about the upcoming season.

I'm looking for for a work out routine that targets fitness to get ready for ski season.

I recall seeing workouts posted a month or so but now can't remember where, it might have been here or on snow brains but looked a bit and can't find them

anyone know of any they could share links to?

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Kind of late for any aerobic work, but you can do a few weeks of quads, butt and hamstring with with weights or machines a couple of times a week.
And core work, 5 times a week

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Look up the "Sparticus Workout". It's a great full body workout that gets your heart rate up.
This looks like an awesome exercise to get into the level of shape that IMO we need to be at, including the cardio component which usually has to be supplemented with running/cycling, whatever

I am however going to go at my own pace since I'm starting a little behind (sounds silly to have to say, but it's easy to get caught up in cadences and try to keep up).

This is not for someone like me to jump in full speed on and requires some build up time to get through 3x of these 10 circuits with 15 second rest between each circuit.

I would also add that there are other workouts that also focus on balance. This one has that just built into the workouts, but if you are wanting to target specific balance drills, etc. there are additional things out there that could help.... REI Balance Drills

One thing I am currently doing is the single leg balance with the other leg moving to 3 points at full extension about 6 inches off the ground (6, 9 and 12 o'clock---just make sure you are 2 or 3 feet back from the sink :doh: ). I do this every night while brushing my teeth.

~GA

puptwin

good ideas, poorly executed
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is not for someone like me to jump in full speed on and requires some build up time to get through 3x of these 10 circuits with 15 second rest between each circuit.
The great thing about the Sparticus Workout is that you can simply shorten the working interval and lengthen the rest period as you learn the routine; adjust the time to increase workload as you gain strength. I've made a couple substitutions for moves that don't work for me and even added a couple. This is the foundation of my exercise program with other days focused on traditional strength training. Working the posterior chain is something I've been giving more attention to as it is too often overlooked.

Last edited:

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
The most ski specific thing you can do is work on core strength and flexibility and balance. Avoid machines that isolate core muscles out of the load path. Those build strength faster but they don’t train core muscles to work together to support balanced movements. Start a general fitness program like CrossFit or Spartacus and stick with it.

Don’t overthink it. Recreational skiing only requires good general fitness and a healthy back. You don’t need to do Linsey Vonn’s or Johnny Moseley’s workouts.

dm

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
The most ski specific thing you can do is work on core strength and flexibility and balance. Avoid machines that isolate core muscles out of the load path. Those build strength faster but they don’t train core muscles to work together to support balanced movements. Start a general fitness program like CrossFit or Spartacus and stick with it.

Don’t overthink it. Recreational skiing only requires good general fitness and a healthy back. You don’t need to do Linsey Vonn’s or Johnny Moseley’s workouts.

dm
I agree...also don't over-do it!!

The core and full body workouts have no equal for total fitness IMHO.

The issue is people see these workouts and they get very nervous.

The instructions assume a person picked up the workout while they were already in shape, and I am totally out of shape.

If you can only do a single repetition, then that's what you do. For most people, 1 will turn to 2, and 3 and on and on.

I've been doing some light workouts for a couple of weeks (stationary bike and weight lifting) and started the Spartacus today. I was able to do 2 full sets over 30 minutes making sure to read the direction on each exercise (which slowed me down lol), do them properly (this slowed me down too, in a good way) and take enough time to recover.

I use a Wahoo Tickr' HR monitor (the watch based ones just don't track well enough IMO) to watch HR as an indicator if I am over-doing it or not.

If I am going past 85% of mx Max HR and have more to go, then I take a break until my HR comes down a little bit (maybe another 20 seconds?)...then I start again.

To quote a famous Ted talker, "I can't tell you exactly when, but at some point, you will be in-shape".

Marathoner

Putting on skis
Skier
Kind of late for any aerobic work, but you can do a few weeks of quads, butt and hamstring with with weights or machines a couple of times a week.
And core work, 5 times a week

I disagree with this statement. Aerobic capacity improves more rapidly than muscle growth. And skiing is highly aerobic, so improving in that area will definitely make your skiing more enjoyable. Go at both the aerobic work and with the weights now! I am doing the same, I just started as well.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Trail running (up and down hills, jump off little drops etc..), bicycling, ice skating.. skate boarding, roller blades if you must.. :huh:

Last edited:

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
And just as important as exercising, maybe more - STRETCHING

Reactions: BMC

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
"work on core strength and flexibility and balance"
Yes! Add cardio, whatever you can achieve. And overall strength, absolutely including core. With balance drills, do them with your gaze moving around. Don't lock on one point to look at. This makes balancing easier, but it isn't real life. In life we're always looking all around, and then suddenly we need to find balance--still looking all around.

Sponsor

Staff online