• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

World Pro Ski Tour to Relaunch in 2017

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ed Rogers, former director of the World Pro Ski Tour in the 1980’s and 90’s, announced December 23, 2015 that he has assembled a group of investors to rekindle the tour in 2017. For forty years, different professional skiing tours served as the only made–for-television ski racing events with large cash prizes and national sponsors.
WPST-3-color-Logo-1-768x498.png
Rogers’ tour continued the legacy of the “dual” style of ski racing that was made famous by Bob Beattie- where two skiers raced on courses side-by-side against each other, instead of the clock. Competitors would qualify for a bracket of 32, setting up a single elimination, tournament style final that pitted Olympic and World Cup champions against journeymen racers from all over the globe. The plan for the newest edition of the tour is to maintain the general format because it has largely been lost on the national and international stage.

“We’re thrilled to have the opportunity to bring professional ski racing to the 21st century,” Rogers said, “our tour was very relevant when it ended it 1999 and we’re confident that this is the right time and the right group to bring the tour back to life.” According to Rogers, 2016 will be devoted to developing sponsorships and planning a six event tour for 2017 at sites all over the country.

Rogers also announced that the group has hired Craig Marshall of Portland, Maine as executive director of sales and marketing to begin business in January 2016. Craig Marshall grew up at Sugarloaf, ME and skied at the NCAA Division I level for Colby College from 2012 to 2015.

“I’m thrilled to be a part of this new effort to bring the Pro Tour back to life. Ski racing is in a crisis; it has failed to evolve to the 21st century in the same way that freestyle skiing and snowboarding have.” Marshall said. “I hope to give racers of different ages an opportunity to make a living racing or at least support their World Cup or Continental Cup careers.”

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, brining back the old to make it new again! This should be fun to watch.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Where will this tour be without guys like Hugo Nindl and the Mahre brothers to draw the crowds? ;)

Seriously, I wish the new WPST owners success. I love how the old WPST was able to hold races on smaller hills that are closer to population centers (e.g. Nashoba Valley), and I hope that they continue this tradition with the relaunched iteration. Hopefully, FIS and USSA won't be quite as nebbishy about the whole thing as they were in the early days of the original WPST, banning venues from hosting FIS and USSA events if they held WPST races.

The big question is: which talent will gravitate toward the WPST? Now that there is more money available on the World Cup tour, I can't see too many of its ranks flocking to the WPST after retirement from FIS racing. Maybe we'll see the racers who constantly churn near the second run cutoff times make the jump - those whose national team funding isn't guaranteed, for example. We shall see...

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'd love to be proved wrong but I just don't think there's the mass market for these type of things unlike say the X Games which intentionally is a focused & therefore special event. I'd give it 2-3 years tops unless a long term TV sponsor gets locked in.

Actually the announcement seems like its only funded enough for the going out and raising sponsorship phase so could crash n burn within the year.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Where will this tour be without guys like Hugo Nindl and the Mahre brothers to draw the crowds? ;)

Seriously, I wish the new WPST owners success. I love how the old WPST was able to hold races on smaller hills that are closer to population centers (e.g. Nashoba Valley), and I hope that they continue this tradition with the relaunched iteration. Hopefully, FIS and USSA won't be quite as nebbishy about the whole thing as they were in the early days of the original WPST, banning venues from hosting FIS and USSA events if they held WPST races.

The big question is: which talent will gravitate toward the WPST? Now that there is more money available on the World Cup tour, I can't see too many of its ranks flocking to the WPST after retirement from FIS racing. Maybe we'll see the racers who constantly churn near the second run cutoff times make the jump - those whose national team funding isn't guaranteed, for example. We shall see...
Two words for you...Bode. I see him being the main draw.

James

Out There
Instructor
Two words for you...Bode. I see him being the main draw.
Isn't that one word?
Would Daron race?

Well we'll see. Better tv than celebrity/retired pro skiing races from Park City? Hopefully.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If they can lure Bode, that would be a definite ace in the hole. Being able to get other notable personalities on board will also help: perhaps Cuche, the Hermannator, Maria Höfl-Riesch, Tina Maze, or even Janica Kostelic would be awesome. Maybe even get Daron to don the GS skis again - who knows?

The thing about the WPST is it is a made-for-TV style of racing that is easy for novices to understand. The X-Games had the benefit of ESPN's once-formidable marketing machine to establish it as a brand (it's one of the few things ESPN still has going for it, IMHO, as people are moving away from cable toward on-demand and Internet streams at an ever increasing rate). The new WPST's challenge will be finding the marketing and sponsorship gravy train that the X-Games already has.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If they can lure Bode, that would be a definite ace in the hole. Being able to get other notable personalities on board will also help: perhaps Cuche, the Hermannator, Maria Höfl-Riesch, Tina Maze, or even Janica Kostelic would be awesome. Maybe even get Daron to don the GS skis again - who knows?

The thing about the WPST is it is a made-for-TV style of racing that is easy for novices to understand. The X-Games had the benefit of ESPN's once-formidable marketing machine to establish it as a brand (it's one of the few things ESPN still has going for it, IMHO, as people are moving away from cable toward on-demand and Internet streams at an ever increasing rate). The new WPST's challenge will be finding the marketing and sponsorship gravy train that the X-Games already has.

I talked to Daron about it, he is intrigued a lot depends on the format and where the locations are. IMHO, anything that gets skiing on TV is good for the sport.

Lowell Watson

Making skis sharp and slippery
Skier
I wish Ed lots of luck and hope this gains some buzz. I have been lucky to have the Universal Channel and have been watching FIS on that, but it would be great to get the WPST style going again. There are a lot of young, great, FIS retirees out there that would make this type of competition fun and easy to watch. Knowing Ed, if he doesn't have Bode on speed dial already, he will soon...Will Jim Bridges be getting behind the camera?...Will Revo be sponsoring again so we can hit Ed up for free shades?...Sugarloaf would be a great east coast stop...
.:golfclap::daffy::golfclap:

Sponsor

Staff online