• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review 2017 Tester's Choice PREMIUM

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oooohhh! Well, if my Kenjas end up unsalvagable, then maybe I'll need to hunt down a pair of these used (ahahahahhahaah, is that funny?!)
:roflmao:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Oooohhh! Well, if my Kenjas end up unsalvagable, then maybe I'll need to hunt down a pair of these used (ahahahahhahaah, is that funny?!)
[Mobster thug voice]. You wants I should take of that little problem for ya?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
LOL no. I actually love my Kenjas and hope I can still ski them!

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I think @Olesya C bought some Renouns at the end of last season to replace her Kenjas??
No, I never even demoed Renouns before. Actually I will admit I didn't know about them. :duck:I got Kicker POTUS this spring as a replacement for Kenjas and POTUS I got with a nice discount I got after demoing them at Blue Knob, PA.

I did demo Kastle FX95 at Crystal Mountain in spring and oh boy if I didn't already buy POTUS I might have bough the Kastle. :drool: Let's just say I get what the hype is about with Kastle after demoing those - so smooth and stable, very nimble for 95 mm waist ski - a lot of fun. :)

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I demoed the Stormrider 88 a few times at Stowe last year. Very easy ski at different speeds. Change turn shapes at will; it was like the ski had ESP.

So I bought some. And then I got hurt . So my new Stockli's have been sitting there patiently waiting their chance since March.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
No, I never even demoed Renouns before. Actually I will admit I didn't know about them. :duck:I got Kicker POTUS this spring as a replacement for Kenjas and POTUS I got with a nice discount I got after demoing them at Blue Knob, PA.

I did demo Kastle FX95 at Crystal Mountain in spring and oh boy if I didn't already buy POTUS I might have bough the Kastle. :drool: Let's just say I get what the hype is about with Kastle after demoing those - so smooth and stable, very nimble for 95 mm waist ski - a lot of fun. :)
Oh, that's right! It was the Kickers! My bad.
I need to get on my Kastles again. I put them away after I bought the Kenjas because the Kenjas are just a better all-mountain option for someone like me who spends a lot of time on groomers but wants to play off-piste, too. I know that the Kastles were smooooooth. They might be a great ski to give tours on when it's strictly smooth groomer skiing.

steve drulias

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
So I am looking for a ski in the 76-84 width. My current ski is Kastle MX 88 (4 years old).
What is the difference between the Stockli Laser AX, and the Kastle MX 84?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So I am looking for a ski in the 76-84 width. My current ski is Kastle MX 88 (4 years old).
What is the difference between the Stockli Laser AX, and the Kastle MX 84?
Steve, I will answer the question with some questions. What did you like best about your MX88? What did you like least about it? The MX84 will give you extenuate what what best about the MX88 and minimize what was it's weakest attributes. The MX series is good enough that it could tailor those strengths and weaknesses to the specific skier. It is obvious that the 84 will be better on firmer snow so, lets assume thats why you are considering that over the MX89. Now to compare it to the Stöckli, the AX is much friendlier, it has a bigger sweetspot and is a more relaxed ride. It is more tollorant of mistakes and not as...well demanding. This is nto a good thing or bad, just different. The AX is a bit quicker edge to edge jsut because it is about 10% narrower, It will flow into the turn instead of bite and the same coming out of the turn, the tail is a bit more rounded as compared to the race tail of the Kastle.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Apparently there is a Stormrider 83 as well. Anyone ever try it?

FYI, ski depot still has a pair of the 88s ex-demo @ 177cm, $479 with Attacks.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Still? Why? At that price they should be gone. Are they rough?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I haven't seen them in person. Just noticed on their site.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

There was a new "flat" 2015/2016 SR88 $545 posted on eBay, relisted for about a month back around May which nobody bought.
I didn't like the reviews I found and knew the 16/17 would be significantly lighter. Now RealSkiiers dot com is confirming my decision - "88’s crash diet raised its scores for Finesse properties across the board, and its global Finesse grade from B+ to A+. That the 2017 model became so much easier to ski cautiously without paring away the high-octane performance" http://www.realskiers.com/ski-reviews/stormrider-88/
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/272232990296

Btw, at the time the same seller had listed a new flat 15/16 167cm women's SR Motion 85 for even less which also didn't sell ... I actually considered that one, NGT only for 16/17 and reviewers noted that it is good for lightweight men. I really wanted something around 90mm under foot and 167cm could be too short for me, IDK?

Ski-Depot currently has a new flat 15/16 167cm SR Motion 85 and 15/16 168 SR 88, each for $699

Last edited:

palmettoski

Booting up
Skier
I left an analog impression of my reaction to RENOUN Z-90 on the snow. For the data driven members of the group, here's your 411. Thanks to Cyrus for posting these numbers.
Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 11.52.53 AM.png

Deester333

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Phil,
Thank for writing up on these - awesome info.
How would u compare the enforcer 93 to the Kastle fx 95hp or even the fx 94.
I wish Kastle/Stockli would do demos here in Alberta. If I could demo, I'd spend the cash on some of these models.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Kästle's not too hard a find around here, but Stöckli demos are tough. I guess that's one of my season goals, find a Stöckli to demo.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil,
Thank for writing up on these - awesome info.
How would u compare the enforcer 93 to the Kastle fx 95hp or even the fx 94.
I wish Kastle/Stockli would do demos here in Alberta. If I could demo, I'd spend the cash on some of these models.
The Enforcer is a little more playful, on firmer snow, it bites into a turn al little better because of the Hammerhead tip, the Kaslte is slightly better in 3D snow. As far as power, the Nordica falls right inbetween the regular FX and the HP. The old 94 was a different animal, a little more traditional in feel and of all of these, the best on firmer snow and the least versatile off piste. The old 94 was odd sized with 166/176/186 too

Sponsor

Staff online