• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I really wish that Head had kept the Monster 98 in the line with changes similar to those they made to the 83 and the 88. Would have been perfect for those of us who enjoy a heavier, damper ski with a touch of forgiveness.

Well, for 2019 head does have the Kore 99. (I havn't skied it but have compared it in the shop back to back with a Kore 105) About a mm narrower than the Kore 105, tip and tail and 6mm narrower at the waist. Kore 99 with Graphene but no metal is a lot lighter than Monster 98, but like the rest of the Kore lineup it should be as damp as a metal ski.

If you like heavy and damp, the Nordica Enforcer 100 might be your ski. Based on a flex comparison between Enforcer 93 and Kore93, the Kore is stiffer, so a Kore 99 is likely stiffer than an Enforcer 100 as well. I am not sure about stiffness comparison between Kore 99 and Monster 98.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I have a pair of Kore 93 on order and it will be the first non metal ski that I have owned in decades. It has graphene which is lighter and stronger than metal. Kore 93 is damp and stiff and has the feel of a metal ski. So never say, "Always".

@Philpug, in your Insider Tip for the Kore 93 you recommended mounting the bindings 1 cm back. I was wondering what are your reasons for this suggestion?

My comment about metal was ONLY regarding the Monster 83/83x....

The Kore's just ski better mounted aft. At the recommended mount, it doesn't track as well in mixed off-piste conditions. Conversly, the Monster 88 can go 1cm forward in this year's iteration. Other than the cut off tip profile, it appears to be identical the '16-'17 version. The dimensions are identical, and they returned to the minimal tip rise after last season's brief experiment. The new one's rip.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Well, for 2019 head does have the Kore 99. (I havn't skied it but have compared it in the shop back to back with a Kore 105) About a mm narrower than the Kore 105, tip and tail and 6mm narrower at the waist. Kore 99 with Graphene but no metal is a lot lighter than Monster 98, but like the rest of the Kore lineup it should be as damp as a metal ski.

If you like heavy and damp, the Nordica Enforcer 100 might be your ski. Based on a flex comparison between Enforcer 93 and Kore93, the Kore is stiffer, so a Kore 99 is likely stiffer than an Enforcer 100 as well. I am not sure about stiffness comparison between Kore 99 and Monster 98.

It's not a Monster 98. Not at all. For most people, that will be good. For the 11/10th sorts, they'll miss the authority and mass of the Monster 98 and 108. Great skis, just a handful and hard to sell.

Reactions: Ron

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
If you like heavy and damp, the Nordica Enforcer 100 might be your ski. Based on a flex comparison between Enforcer 93 and Kore93, the Kore is stiffer, so a Kore 99 is likely stiffer than an Enforcer 100 as well.

I think you're probably right that the Enforcer 100 might be a good choice. I want to ski them back to back with the Bonafides. I have the current Cochises 185 and really, really like them. I only wish that the Bones came in a 184/5 length. The 180 seems a bit short for the conditions that I would be skiing them in and the 188 a bit long for me. That's why I'm probably leaning toward the Enforcer.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Head lineup looks somewhat redundant. A bunch of good skis though.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
It's not a Monster 98. Not at all. For most people, that will be good. For the 11/10th sorts, they'll miss the authority and mass of the Monster 98 and 108. Great skis, just a handful and hard to sell.

I though the Monster 98 (last one) in 177cm was (is) an excellent ski and pretty easy to ski. Superb for mixed conditions. I did not get to demo it in 184cm though. I do own the 16-17' 88's in 184cm and love them but can see it being a handful for lighter folk. I never got to demo the 108 :( .

I loved the Kore 93's in 180cm which hints at the wide performance envelope that head has engineered in such a light ski. Fun and easy in bumps and typical dryish mixed conditions in Colorado. Its not a ski for the 10//11's but its not wimpy either.

Reactions: Ron

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I though the Monster 98 (last one) in 177cm was (is) an excellent ski and pretty easy to ski. Superb for mixed conditions. I did not get to demo it in 184cm though. I do own the 16-17' 88's in 184cm and love them but can see it being a handful for lighter folk. I never got to demo the 108 :( .

I loved the Kore 93's in 180cm which hints at the wide performance envelope that head has engineered in such a light ski. Fun and easy in bumps and typical dryish mixed conditions in Colorado. Its not a ski for the 10//11's but its not wimpy either.

Going shorter in the 98 was a good choice. Again, anecdotally it's interesting what lengths work for which people, but we should be careful not to be too specific in applying our preferences to other's needs and narratives.... but anyone who doesn't like the Monster 88 is dead to me* . :roflmao:

(That's a joke for folks who might misinterpret things.)

(* Phil's words when I told him I thought the Renoun was a very good ski, but I still prefered my 88's.... "You're dead to me." It was pretty funny! )

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
My comment about metal was ONLY regarding the Monster 83/83x....

Conversly, the Monster 88 can go 1cm forward in this year's iteration. Other than the cut off tip profile, it appears to be identical the '16-'17 version. The dimensions are identical, and they returned to the minimal tip rise after last season's brief experiment. The new one's rip.

maybe its the same on paper (I didnt look) but its ski's different. And, different in a good way. I liked all 3 versions now but all 3 skied differently. I do think the new version is the best so far.

Monster 83 vs 88, the 83 is a super ski, so if possible test the 88 vs the 83. you may be surprised. I am also a Rossi 84 fan too.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Head lineup looks somewhat redundant. A bunch of good skis though.
Actually, I think Head has one of the clearer collections on the market with each collection having a purpose.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Actually, I think Head has one of the clearer collections on the market with each collection having a purpose.
Can you talk about the purpose of the collections? I get caught up in the skis but I don't feel like I have a good handle on things from the collection standpoint.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can you talk about the purpose of the collections? I get caught up in the skis but I don't feel like I have a good handle on things from the collection standpoint.

The Supershape is their technical collection, for skiers who tend to stay on the groomers and looking for a precision turn. The new V-Shapes are intermediate to advanced skis that lean towards the frontside but do not need the attention of the Supershapes, the V8 and V10 are surprisingly versatile. The Monsters have been trimmed down to a 83 and an 88, cleaning that line up by dropping the 98 and 108 (which have been replaced by Kore variants). these are for advanced to expert skiers looking for a hard snow biased all mountain charger. Kore's are more off piste to soft snow biased.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
maybe its the same on paper (I didnt look) but its ski's different. And, different in a good way. I liked all 3 versions now but all 3 skied differently. I do think the new version is the best so far.

Monster 83 vs 88, the 83 is a super ski, so if possible test the 88 vs the 83. you may be surprised. I am also a Rossi 84 fan too.

FWIW, the flex might be a wee different (16-17 and current)... hard to tell. My older one is a bit tired. Either way, the new 88 is excellent. Maybe the best ski no one can sell.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FWIW, the flex might be a wee different (16-17 and current)... hard to tell. My older one is a bit tired. Either way, the new 88 is excellent. Maybe the best ski no one can sell.
Tougher than the Monster 83?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Ha! Only because more shops in the west probably ordered the 88. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the monsters (said with great sadness) go away. Now if they made them black and called them the new 'Standard 83/88', then they'd be on to something.

:golfclap:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ha! Only because more shops in the west probably ordered the 88. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the monsters (said with great sadness) go away. Now if they made them black and called them the new 'Standard 83/88', then they'd be on to something.

:golfclap:
They went away once and came back...the question is, how many times can lightning strike? I don't see them going away, that leaves too big of a hole between the V-Shapes and Kores.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Now if they made them black and called them the new 'Standard 83/88', then they'd be on to something.

I vote for the name Head Masters or Head 360.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
They went away once and came back...the question is, how many times can lightning strike? I don't see them going away, that leaves too big of a hole between the V-Shapes and Kores.

Sadly, I don't see a place in the industry for MX89's/Monster 88's/ Legend 88's/ etc.... There's little public interest in these types of skis ( current company excepted. )

Hypergruv

"Suck At the Highest Level"
Skier
Quick question before I pull the trigger on some new Heads: Between the Rally and Titan - in a 163, am I really going to be able to tell the difference?

I have read all the reviews, here, PSIA, looked them over in the shop - If you buy some Titans from Pepi's, and there's a little drool on them, sorry. I just can't seem to make a decision between the two. FYI: I am looking for the one that is going to give me the most utility - a Swiss Army knife of sorts.

About Me: 44 yr old male. Vail local, skiing Vail/BC 100+ days a season. Part-time Instructor. Have powder skis - Icelantic Nomad 115's. This would be my first "real" ski in 20+ years. This would round out a 2 ski quiver. Like I said, looking for the proverbial Swiss Army knife.

Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Like I said, looking for the proverbial Swiss Army knife.

Thanks!
Are you looking for the Swiss Army Knife with the magnifying glass, spoon, fork, the chain tool. USB charger and the olive corer? If not, the iRally is better scaled in the 163.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January