• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pano spinning? :roflmao: And Fargo? If that's ND I believe the weather there is also not the best. I was watching video on the Weather Channel from Saskatchewan earlier and it was pretty bad. I believe it was from Regina.

Pano has been shutdown since yesterday morning. Made it up once and got back down and that was it. Even the gondola and cobriolet is shut down today. Might actually be windier in Fargo right now but even by Fargo standards last night was on another level.

Last edited:

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
review is in the process. Suffice to say, they are the king of trees and powder bumps and can get you back to the lift on edge.....
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a set of Atris, but I am starting to think I might need to give the Menace a shot at that width. I have a friend that swears they are the best skis he has ever had.

Reactions: Ron

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I did a bunch of work on my CS-2 workbook this AM and made a batch of green chili :). I decided to go out for some training this afternoon. As I was walking to the locker room at a bit before 1pm, I met a bunch of instructors warning me that it was cold and windy. Not to be deterred, I headed in, put on the boots, pulled out the slaloms (which have over 95% of the days this season). Skiing down to the lift, I noticed how firm it was. Up the lift, a bit breezy, and it seems cool. In fact, it's so cool, I decide to take a warm up run from the mid station. Lots of debris from the trees blown into the run, and it is super firm.

Wow, such a Breckugee I've become. It's maybe 20 degrees out and I'm feeling cool. And so firm.

Just decided to chalk up today as a ski day and a rest day. What a wussie I've become...

Mike

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
An avalanche is snow sliding down an incline. I don't get the problem. They have long been dealt with by avalanche pros. They even issue advisories!

roof avalanches are not a minor issue.

:geek::geek::geek::geek::geek:

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am really sad to say this, but I have to recommend that folks stay away from Monarch. I hate saying this because I love our independent mountains, but their coverage is so poor I don't think they should even be open. In an hour I took multiple hard rock shots and multiple times almost came to a stop on large patches of dirt. I've never seen Monarch in this bad of shape, even when they just opened. Large rocks, ice chunks, and significant dirt patches on every run we did.

I really love Monarch and would encourage folks to come enjoy no lift lines and great powder once it snows, but as of today, I would stay away from here. I might have destroyed my rock skis this morning. It really is that bad.

Sorry Monarch. I do love you folks there, and will be back as soon as you get snow, but you really shouldn't be open with these conditions.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Dang -- good beta @TDCSPRINGS . I was thinking of chasing a storm that way this week but 6" won't do anything but hide the rocks.

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
Dang -- good beta @TDCSPRINGS . I was thinking of chasing a storm that way this week but 6" won't do anything but hide the rocks.
I really love Monarch and our independent mountains, but this is bad; really bad. It's going to take 12"-18' minimum to make that mountain skiable. I know they are struggling so I wanted to support them, but I wish someone would have warned me. We were here 3 weeks ago, and it wasn't horrible, but it has drastically declined since then. We really need some snow right now!

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I really love Monarch and our independent mountains, but this is bad; really bad. It's going to take 12"-18' minimum to make that mountain skiable. I know they are struggling so I wanted to support them, but I wish someone would have warned me. We were here 3 weeks ago, and it wasn't horrible, but it has drastically declined since then. We really need some snow right now!

We're seeing the same thing at the Front Range mountains. All that holiday traffic without any real refresh has taken its toll. I'm hitting lots of earth again when I wasn't 3 weeks ago. If it weren't for the wind as of late, I would have pulled the golf clubs back out...

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
We're seeing the same thing at the Front Range mountains. All that holiday traffic without any real refresh has taken its toll. I'm hitting lots of earth again when I wasn't 3 weeks ago. If it weren't for the wind as of late, I would have pulled the golf clubs back out...

Im going MTB'ing even if I need to drive south a bit. Will post pics in the next few days. If it snows a lot thank me later.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I am really sad to say this, but I have to recommend that folks stay away from Monarch. I hate saying this because I love our independent mountains, but their coverage is so poor I don't think they should even be open. In an hour I took multiple hard rock shots and multiple times almost came to a stop on large patches of dirt. I've never seen Monarch in this bad of shape, even when they just opened. Large rocks, ice chunks, and significant dirt patches on every run we did.

I really love Monarch and would encourage folks to come enjoy no lift lines and great powder once it snows, but as of today, I would stay away from here. I might have destroyed my rock skis this morning. It really is that bad.

Sorry Monarch. I do love you folks there, and will be back as soon as you get snow, but you really shouldn't be open with these conditions.

Not surprised given how little it has snowed. The backcountry around there should be decent in select areas. Monarch is still awesome and the surrounding mountains spectacular.

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting that over the next 5 days or so that Monarch is getting most of their snow on 1 day while Copper's forecast is continuing with the inch or 2 each day for several days. Unfortunately the only thing that does it make some of the numbers look better.

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
Not surprised given how little it has snowed. The backcountry around there should be decent in select areas. Monarch is still awesome and the surrounding mountains spectacular.
I was stunned to see bare ground on a large amount of Monarch pass. Last time I saw that much dirt in January was 2011sh when we were bone dry as well. Still a great little mountain. Fingers crossed these next few storms produce for them.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
The conditions over the last two days at Vail were very firm, but the grooming crew works magic. How I never hit a rock, I'll never know. The snow has to be very thin, but they somehow spread it where it needs to be - kind of like a snow comb-over. :geek:
Something's got to give. This is just not great.

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
The conditions over the last two days at Vail were very firm, but the grooming crew works magic. How I never hit a rock, I'll never know. The snow has to be very thin, but they somehow spread it where it needs to be - kind of like a snow comb-over. :geek:
Something's got to give. This is just not great.
How are the bowls? We were there when they opened Blue Sky a couple weeks ago but haven't been back since. Coverage wasn't bad, but it had dropped about 6" the day before. We are planning to head to Vail Monday unless someone tells me it isn't worth the extra 30 minutes of driving.

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I thought WP was alright when I was there on Wednesday but it got pretty scraped up by the end of the day. Thursday was a mess with the wind, grooming helped some today but it was firm and thin. They finally opened Pano up at the end of the day, so at least I got to ski that one last time. Going to Vail on Sunday and Copper Monday, then heading back home. I'm sure it will dump snow when I leave, at least I hope it does because you guys need it.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I was stunned to see bare ground on a large amount of Monarch pass. Last time I saw that much dirt in January was 2011sh when we were bone dry as well. Still a great little mountain. Fingers crossed these next few storms produce for them.

Jan 2012. 10/11 was the season from heaven, 11/12 was from hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor