• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Conditions were surprisingly good today at LL. There was 2"-3" of fresh on top of hard underneath. Still, didn't find myself scraping. No wind and with a thin cloud cover the sun was still providing good light conditions.
I arrived at 9:30 and was in the sixth row in the parking lot. I left at 11:30 and the lot was only 2/3 full. Found myself skiing right on to each lift this morning. Had to cut my skiing short as i hadn't skied or worked out in three weeks due to a knee sprain (better now) and my thighs didn't appear interested in a full day. Will be back out Thurs-Sat if I-70 stays open during those snow days.

opfreak

Booting up
Skier
Claimjumper, most any groomer on Peak 9, Peak 10: Centennial, Double Jack, may Cimarron, Peak 6: Bliss.

Thanks for the Tips. I wanted to Try Bliss, but it was on hold when I got to the top of 7, so I went down claim jumper, did some laps in the park thats way to big for me. Then went over to 9, did some laps and back to the gondola, before the trip back.

I really need to get to breck for a few days earlier in the season. The first part of the day was pretty firm and windy. Then it was almost all mashed potatoes. But I think I might have underrated it as a blueish mountain. The blues might be a bit easier then other places, but they are long and wide, and people tend to spread out.

Keystone on closing day... Schoolmram was imho still too crowded for a beginner green. My sister enjoyed the length, but bla so many people that dont know what they are doing funneled into one trail. Pass.

Sad this season is over.. I know its not much for most here, but I ended up 12 days on a mountain, with >120k vert. both of which are personal records. And I'd still want more.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
This could be tasty. Totals may add up before this cycle is over.

Joel Gratz is now forecasting 27" over the next five days at A-Basin. Fingers crossed this materializes.

MIGHT even venture back to The Beavers area, which was looking pretty much well-done during the afternoon last Friday.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Joel Gratz is now forecasting 27" over the next five days at A-Basin. Fingers crossed this materializes.

MIGHT even venture back to The Beavers area, which was looking pretty much well-done during the afternoon last Friday.

Joel's write-up doesn't seem to be too confident on exactly what is going to happen with the bigger storm. His snowfall prediction still shows a over a foot at least coming into Friday morning. It'll probably be a $hit $how on I-70, but I think I'll go to battle for some deep freshies...

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
What a glorious surprise @Snowfan and I had today at Breck. Hopes for a good bit of fresh cover overnight was dashed with a 1" report. Getting over to Peak 10 early yielded some great runs on Cimarron with the perfect combination of 2 - 3" of blown in fresh on sun softening corduroy. We saw our racing friend Peter on the lift and he joined us for a few delightful laps before we headed over to Imperial.

There we met CJ Mueller and friend getting on the lift and rode up together with them. After a great story from CJ about Steve McKinney's sister Tamara and Cera F, we proceeded to find more sun-drenched and softened snow in Imperial Bowl. I made some 8s above 6 Chair in CJ's honor.

IMG_20210414_114011560.jpg

IMG_20210414_114048120.jpg

IMG_20210414_120053675-8s.jpg
I know the line should have been straight but I was following the best snow not going for points.

IMG_20210414_114603542.jpg
The clouds were pretty cool sitting below the summits.

Then it was off to Horseshoe and some sweet snow in Lulu and Outlaw with runouts below picnic table. Cucumber's T-bar line boundary was fresh and plush. Woohoo!

And miracle of miracles, Peak 7 opened for the first time in about 2 weeks. So back to Imperial.
Two runs on CJ's and we were just about done but we had just missed the timing for the bus home so took another run in Cucumber.

IMG_20210414_141838513.jpg

1618448073033.png
I traversed from CJ's over to below the rocks, then resumed my line on the fresh.

A full day was topped off by Empire Burger margs, burgers and o-rings.

Time for a nap.

strava3485506726824489889.jpg
Failed GPS (taking photos screws it up, go figure. I need to turn of geolocation in my camera, I think) shortened my day according to Strava.

IMG_20210414_144218491.jpg

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
@Noodler I’ll have my son with me so no tour, but ping me on text and we can link up!

This is looking pretty good along the Divide.

D3A8D49E-AE21-463D-B773-A866EAABD6F8.jpeg

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fabulous morning at MJ today. Trees up top were buttery soft. As the sun tried to come out, lower runs turned into good-for-you snow. But really sweet 10" and plenty of fresh tracks to be found.

However, I did not expect to see patrol working the parking lot. Went to my car at lunchtime and this is what I saw.
20210416_143056.jpg
20210416_115555.jpg

Burt to a crisp.. Hope everyone got out unscathed!

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
That truck looks like the car that caused a backup on I-70 today.

I decided to avoid the LL crowds and headed to Copper. Almost regretted it, but got to help a beginner get his skis back on and 'noticed' a snowboarder on a trail. Thought about racing the snowboarder. So glad my better judgment kicked in. When he took off, he straightlined the run. We acknowledged each other again on the shuttle, then started chatting. He and his skier friend are both from Fredericksburg VA where I grew up. And, oh, by the way, his top speed so far is 57 mph.

Copper's snow was nothing to brag about, but the human part of the day got high marks.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Just had one of my best days of skiing ever at Breck. Winter was back today and it was good. Winter conditions on mountain with 1foot of powder and the sun was mostly hidden so spring did not return in full.

Still some variable conditions out there - some good snow and good for you snow depending on where you went. First tracks in imperial were not so great. Echair was very nice.

Also had group lessons for my wife and myself that turned into privates for both of us :)

Have skied every day this past week. Tuesday had worst conditions. Wednesday was spectacular slush fest in imperial and horseshoe. Today was better yet, but totally different snow.

I'm loving the spring skiing! Ski tomorrow and Sunday, then we leave.

PM me if you're at Breck and want to meet for some turns tomorrow or Sunday.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Today was a pleasant one at Loveland. @Noodler was @Snowfan and my guide. It was nice to follow (directions at least) for a change. Snowfan and I got in line early only to find it really didn't matter. Noodler joined us after he rested in the lodge following his skin up and ski down before the lifts opened.

The sun was peaking out as we arrived at the top of Chet's.

IMG_20210416_090645955.jpg

IMG_20210416_090643872.jpg

IMG_20210416_092920474_BURST004.jpg
Patrol showed us how it's done on Superbowl as we arrived at the top of Ptarmigan. I didn't see any but I could have sworn I heard some ptarmigan as we were traversing on a road.

IMG_20210416_111654013.jpg
I couldn't pass up this cute guy at Chair 9.

Thanks for the guiding, Noodler and thanks for lunch, Snowfan.

Soft snow all over the place but hard snow underneath in many places. We finished with me demonstrating my tree technique. Lots of laughs from the others. You had to be there.

strava7019254849599344091.jpg
We did get around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online