• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fat Bikes 2020/2021 Fat Bike Winter rides.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another fun ride today. Took a new to me spur down into a lake basin that was beautiful, but the steep-ish 15+ minute climb out left me a little too damp and cold for the next 20 minutes. Best saved for the other three seasons!
IMG_3565.JPG

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The trails are in such good shape around here now, we've got random grooming fairy's or something, I've never seen this many groomed trails so early in the season. Friend and I busted out our usual Tuesday night ride, we had originally planned to ride a different trail system but my car is in the shop and I didn't have a way to get to the original plan. So we just rode the mushing trails that go behind where I work.

My friend brings his little Jack Russel terrier on most of our rides, with two coats on and booties she's good down to around -25f or so. Crazy little dog just goes nuts when she sees my bike and I, she prefers to follow me instead of her human for some reason. She has been trained quite well to follow just off to the side of the rear wheel.
20201124_190123.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My friend brings his little Jack Russel terrier on most of our rides, with two coats on and booties she's good down to around -25f or so. Crazy little dog just goes nuts when she sees my bike and I, she prefers to follow me instead of her human for some reason. She has been trained quite well to follow just off to the side of the rear wheel.

Those Jack Russells have got GAME!

I usually bring our lab for a pre-ride and post-ride. She has the "wheel" insanity gene, but is great once we get going. I usually take her about 3 miles pre-ride and 1 or so miles post-ride.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Woke up early on Thanksgiving day to take our border collie out for a bike ride in order to give my wife the opportunity to sleep in for a change. It was supposed to have snowed during the night but all I found was a nasty layer of ice covering my car and falling out of the sky. Anyways we cranked out a short 5 mile bikejour in the freezing rain snow darkness and had a grand time before the sun even lightened the sky. Picture was taken at about 8am with an upset border collie, he didn't want to stop or pose for a picture.
20201126_080434.jpg

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@firebanex : you think riding stairs and winter camping is crazy? I think getting up early to ride in the freezing rain in the dark is...

Those first two are fun, and only slightly challenging. Getting out of bed in the dark to ride in freezing rain? I last did that 30 years ago for my paper route... :eek:

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
those pogies look seriously warm. What brand are those? I am using wolf tooth's but they dont seem to be all that warm

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Getting out of bed in the dark to ride in freezing rain? I last did that 30 years ago for my paper route... :eek:

I once delivered papers at minus 50. Probably 1970 or 72. Babbitt MN. Yikes! Makes fat biking seem tame.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those look like Dogwood Pogies, right @firebanex?
45Nrth and Revelate also have warm ones.

I actually prefer moderately warm pogies, over the super warm ones.
There are plenty of days where there is just a cold wind, and not much insulation is needed. That is what the Wolftooth ones are aiming for.
I just asked for some new pogies for a present, and am asking for the 45Nrth Draugenklaw, specifically beacuse they are less thick.

I also need to adjust warmth of my hand wear, so I combine moderately warm pogies with varying weights of gloves. Start out with warm gloves, once you are warmed up, switch to thin ones, keep The thick ones in reserve, in case they are needed.

If I were you @Ron , I’d stick with The Wolftooth ones. Steamboat doesn’t have the same frigid climate Fairbanks does(certainly more daylight), so plenty of days where you would want less insulation.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
just rode, Im waiting for my phone to recharge for pics. Headed out at 18* came back at 30*, about 1K up it was a few degrees colder and a couple more inches of fresh. Great ride on the new tires and another ride in with the OMW Boots and pants as well as the first test of the Thermic Heated socks. I will keep those wolf tooth pogies for sure, with my gloves, my hands were actually hot and I rode the last couple fo miles without gloves inside the pogies. the brake shifters were freezing but my hands were comfy.

We got a surprise storm yesterday, only 2" at the house but on the mountain, at 10,500, they got 7". I had to get out on the bike :). Beautiful bluebird skies and crunchy snow is good for the heart and head.

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Slim good eye! also in my defense, I live in the hills and figured it was just the cloud doing it.. didn't realize it was actually worse down lower in town where I was going to park and ride. @Ron They are indeed Dogwood Designs poagies, made about 20 miles away from where I live. Dogwood and another local shop Apocalypse Design (local sewing/repair heavy duty custom sewing mostly) seem to be the most popular options here. I do see some of the others that have been mentioned, but I think the main issue is that the other options are not quite as warm for what most of our riding is at. I usually use a "winter" weight biking glove inside them, this year it's the midweight Handup gloves ones. No issues paired with the poagie even down to the -33* ride I did a couple weeks ago. I usually also carry a pair of proper winter gloves in my frame bag as a just in case if I had to walk out or something (also got another puffy in there for the same reason).

It is an ever evolving situation with my winter kit, right now I'm searching for a better solution to my old Merrell slip on boots. They work pretty fine and are good to around -30 so long as I have chemical heat packs on my toes. But the heels are starting to disintegrate, I emergency fixed them a couple weeks ago with a very liberal application of shoe goo. Going to put on my Christmas list for a pair of 45nrth boots, I'll need to check with my LBS but I think it's the Wolfgar boot is their go to boot for riding. Like wise I have a pair of insulated mountaineering pants that are fantastic but eventually they will also fall apart and are of course, discontinued with no similar replacement that I can find.

Rode again today with my Wife and her Dad, was just below 0* and they are not quite as crazy as I am about biking, but they had fun and was what the ride was all about :) For myself it's super weird to actually see these trails in the light because so often my rides are after work and in the dark.
20201127_115246.jpg

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Ron , I assume You meant to say: “brake levers and shifter were frigid”?
That is one more reason I prefer a not super thick pogie.I want to have a glove on inside that is warm enough to keep the grips and levers from cooling my hands too much.

The other thing I do is insulate the brake and dropper levers and Shift paddles. If they are alloy ones* I drill a hole or two in the paddle/lever for two reasons:
  1. For grip: most levers/paddles are slightly cover to begin with, wrapping them in stuff turns them into cylinders. The hole in the middle prevents this.
  2. For warmth. Aluminum conducts heat very well. So if I have my finger mostly on “air” covered by the insulation, it will be a bit warmer.
I use heat shrink tubing, with some very thin neoprene or aerogel inside.

*I like the idea of carbon brake levers for warmth on a fatbike, but I have bent a lever once, (alloy) and could bent it out to a useable shape. I have also broken a carbon one.
In the same vein, if you are buying brakes, I highly recommend 2 piston, not four piston brakes. Pad retraction is issue in the cold, and corrosion makes it worse: it’s much harder (impossible) to fix a stuck piston on a four piston brake than a two piston brake (ask me how I know )

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@firebanex ,
I get terribly cold feet on the bike. Much colder than hiking or skiing. We don’t have the super cold temps you have very often, but it does happen. -30 every once in a while.

The boot I have now it the warmest, most backcountry-proof boot possible. The only drawback is a bit wide in the middle of the foot:

Neos overboots: Waterproof, calf high. No need for gaiters. Keep feet dry if stepping in water(overflow rivers). Studded the soles with gripstuds.

Palau (similar to Intution) liner boot: closed cell foam: super warm, super light and doesn’t absorb moisture. So even on a long ride, no sweaty liners, getting cold,
let alone on a multiday ride.

Even better, if you do go in the river, and fill the boot with water, you can just pour it out, and there is no problem.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@firebanex and others: plus 1 on carrying a spare, super warm glove/mitten and puffy jacket. Also a small sitpad, to insulte your but or knees from cold/wet ground.

You get sweaty, and if you have to stop for even a minor mechanical(flat tire) you can get hypothermia pretty quick on a cold windy day. Let alone if you are injured and need to be rescued (whether that is by a friend or by a SAR team).

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Conditions for fatbike are perfect right now. In fact, a plus bike with studs would probaly work fine too.
only a short stretch of bare, off camber ice, on the lowest section of trail, where that always happens.
6EAEE08E-10E5-4E04-B159-9EF105DD7D9C.jpeg
474DE601-2259-4D04-B34C-5B4374D89938.jpeg
D4278206-08D6-48A0-A8ED-26287300E67E.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No issues paired with the poagie even down to the -33* ride I did a couple weeks ago.

I bow down to you!

And the obligatory pic, to keep @Ron at bay. I was really bummed to find that my Park Tool truing stand does not work on fat tires/wheels.

Grinding:Truing Bench.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online