• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Andy wound up at Squaw... I feel bad. Kind of. :ogbiggrin: Had a great, though short, first day... skied a bunch of areas I haven't before, given I've only had one wind-holdy day at Squaw prior to this. Skied with @Chris V., @Tricia, @Philpug, and @Andy Mink. Did some off piste that was actually pretty nice with the few inches of refresh we got. Also skied the easier stuff off KT-22 (which is still a bit challenging).

Not having skied in a month, and coming from DC yesterday, my legs wore out pretty quickly. But it was still lots of fun!
I take solace in thinking the snow at Rose would have been really heavy and no fun. If anyone knows differently please keep it to yourself!

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For being only three inches, Squaw skied QUITE nice all morning IMHO. Seemed what lay beneath never froze up, so where the snow was previously churned there was lumpy gravy rather than hidden frozen chicken heads. Good times with dbostedo et al. Some thought it on the sticky side, but I must have had the wax o' the day, and I actually think skinny skis worked out best--less surface, less suction. Afternoon started out getting mankier, then some very nice new snow dusted the slopes intermittently, and the surface changed with each run. I am blessed to receive this on an April 14!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Andy wound up at Squaw... I feel bad. Kind of. :ogbiggrin: Had a great, though short, first day... skied a bunch of areas I haven't before, given I've only had one wind-holdy day at Squaw prior to this. Skied with @Chris V., @Tricia, @Philpug, and @Andy Mink. Did some off piste that was actually pretty nice with the few inches of refresh we got. Also skied the easier stuff off KT-22 (which is still a bit challenging).

Not having skied in a month, and coming from DC yesterday, my legs wore out pretty quickly. But it was still lots of fun!
No regrets skiing Squaw with you and the crew today.
The snow was really nice everywhere we went. While you guys were taking KT22, I got my pass fixed and hit Red Dog. The snow was heavy but very fun to play around in.

See you tomorrow!

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
This storm definitely seems to be setting up on the NE side of the lake thus far. SquAlpine sensors are only showing trace amounts but up here on Brockway we’ve gotten about 3”and it’s looking like Mt rose already has close to 6”! Maybe it will push more to the crest overnight but as of now Rose is getting the brunt
Crazy storm. Most of the snow was down 80 near Hirshdale rd. Hardly any on Donner when I went thru at 7 pm. Overturned 18 wheeler had EB 80 closed at Flouristan. Another jackknifed on WB there luckily did not block WB 80. Backflow from east. If this were Denver they would call it a “Front Range Storm”

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Overturned 18 wheeler had EB 80 closed at Flouristan. Another jackknifed on WB there luckily did not block WB 80.
I drove past that yesterday... crazy looking. I bet people were stuck for hours. And shortly thereafter it was snowing very hard.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Crazy storm. Most of the snow was down 80 near Hirshdale rd. Hardly any on Donner when I went thru at 7 pm. Overturned 18 wheeler had EB 80 closed at Flouristan. Another jackknifed on WB there luckily did not block WB 80. Backflow from east. If this were Denver they would call it a “Front Range Storm”
The truck was still there at Floriston this morning when we went west bound from Reno. On its side, off to the side.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Overturned 18 wheeler had EB 80 closed at Flouristan
I drove past that yesterday... crazy looking. I bet people were stuck for hours. And shortly thereafter it was snowing very hard.
That's a pretty common place for flipped 18 wheelers.
I've driven EB through there on windy days and have witnessed trucks being affected by wind coming through the canyon. I do my best to scoot on by any trucks any time I drive that stretch.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I take solace in thinking the snow at Rose would have been really heavy and no fun. If anyone knows differently please keep it to yourself!

I've a friend -- super strong skier -- who was there solo parenting her child whose skill level is magic carpet. I hope she put the kid in a lesson!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Great sping day at Alpine today... aspects of Alpine Bowl were soft early, and other areas up high softened throughout the morning. Skied solo for the first couple of hours, then met up with @Tony, his wife Lucia, and Tony Crocker. A fun time was had by all I think, trying to find the best snow between Alpine Bowl, Wolverine Bowl, and areas around them. I racked up 16K vertical before lunch, and didn't last long afterward - getting just over 20K as the snow was getting very slushy and heavy in places.

James

Out There
Instructor
Great sping day at Alpine today... aspects of Alpine Bowl were soft early, and other areas up high softened throughout the morning. Skied solo for the first couple of hours, then met up with @Tony, his wife Lucia, and Tony Crocker. A fun time was had by all I think, trying to find the best snow between Alpine Bowl, Wolverine Bowl, and areas around them. I racked up 16K vertical before lunch, and didn't last long afterward - getting just over 20K as the snow was getting very slushy and heavy in places.
Surely you have a map of your exploits?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Surely you have a map of your exploits?
Just for you @James , a screen cap from my phone:

Screenshot_20210415_Alpine_Ski Tracks.jpg

I barely ventured off-piste as the soft smooth groomers were great and most of the off-piste was sticky or lumpy or both. (The bits I sampled anyway.)

Lakeview and Sherwood were closed, so much of the place wasn't open.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Little goopy out at squaw today but overall pretty good. Stayed on KT and headwall besides one lap up sibo for a palisades hike. Lift lines were non existent on all 3. Hourglass from big cornice approach was the winner today so worth a few repeat laps. East face bumps have gotten huge in the past 10 days, but were nice and soft. Overall the upper mountain seems to be holding on pretty well. Gotta think headwall goes way of the reverse traverse in the not to distant future. KT through next weekend? Possibly the end of the month?

Alpine has Sherwood back on the schedule tomorrow, so after being closed for the past 3 days south bowls/beaver/Estelle should be a go. Hopefully the extra day in the sun helped the snow to transition a bit more for some smooth corn in the am.

Squaw peak
576EEFA7-F78B-4FB8-B30D-D1EFEE7BF9E3.jpeg

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Skied solo for the first couple of hours, then met up with @Tony, his wife Lucia, and Tony Crocker.
We were a little later than we planned leaving SLT at 840, turning onto Alpine Meadows Rd at 940 and getting onto Roundhouse about 1010. We found a lot of good snow including some ungroomed between Alpine Bowl and Palisades and were a little early into lower High Yellow. Other ungroomed we skied included Waterfall, Corkscrew Gully, Peter’s Peril and the opening under chair to the right of D6.

Tony Crocker and I quit a little after 2 with 22.7K. He is on his was to Bachelor. Lucia and I plan to be at Squaw at opening today. Pictures taken, edited and posted from iPhone in Wolverine Bowl.

First is helmetless and hatless Tony Crocker. 66F1D2EA-9482-4EB3-9573-20073FF733C9.jpeg
Next is my lovely wife, Lucia on her 6th day of season and 3rd in row (after previous two not-Spring days at Mammoth).
93AD5363-4C45-49E3-9D62-05C0C1387BCC.jpeg
Last is @dbostedo skiing right edge of Wolverine with D6, that we skied later, behind him.
24033672-A49B-4E2B-8263-98AB17676E46.jpeg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What a great day at squaw! Things were soft and nice pretty much all day on all the upper lifts. Skied headwall face, a little chute off of funnel (adventurous for me) and a bunch of stuff off Solitude.

Skied with @Philpug, @Tricia, @Tony, and Lucia.. it was a great way for ms to end my season.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What a great day at squaw! Things were soft and nice pretty much all day on all the upper lifts. Skied headwall face, a little chute off of funnel (adventurous for me) and a bunch of stuff off Solitude.

Skied with @Philpug, @Tricia, @Tony, and Lucia.. it was a great way for ms to end my season.

Shredding dbostedo
20210416_105320_036_saved.jpg

Tired @dbostedo
20210416_105326_001_saved.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online