• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Albany Airport is about 2hrs to Killington,Straight up the Northway (87) I think the fastest-
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=killington+vt+to+albany+ny&ia=web&iaxm=directions&start=what:Albany%20International%20Airport,where:737%20Albany%20Shaker%20Rd%2C%20Albany%2C%20NY%2012211%2C%20United%20States&end=what:Killington%20Resort,where:4763%20Killington%20Rd%2C%20Killington%2C%20VT%20%2005751%2C%20United%20States&transport=drive

there's also the Rutland Airport- not big, not sure about car rentals there either but it's the closest- 40min

Lots of places to stay. I like the Killington Motel. Mom and Pop- call direct for best rates, huge rooms, hot water heat, hot showers, breakfast included and he roasts his own coffee beans. nothing fancy but Very clean and nice people and Steve the cat.

You'll be about 1hr from Sugar Bush and 1hr from Stratton-- stay Longer ski more Eastern IKON Mts.. Could even go to Loon- Loon back to Albany Airport about 5hr drive in clear weather.

No big elevation here compared to the West.. Top of Killington about 4200Ft.
Best way to Killington from SFX is via Chicago connect to Burlington or Albany . Killington is 2hours from each in good weather.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Meanwhile, back at the ranch... while most folks have moved on to Mammoth, conditions at Squaw were terrific from opening EAAD2758-7782-45CA-8E80-0E1E576F9F43.jpeg untill about 11am.... Shirley went from firm to first class corn as a progression across the ridge starting in the bowl and reaching a peak on last tree run an hr or so after . And , it seemed like every local racer was hard at work getting laps... sooo many superb skiers out this am. Pic of yours truely getting ready to dine on some more corn jst down the ridgeline....

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Shirley went from firm to first class corn as a progression across the ridge starting in the bowl and reaching a peak on last tree run an hr or so after
DFDD0BB9-68EA-4835-8899-3C87376B11A4.jpeg
I was also at Squaw today. I keep thinking I am done but 4 overnight freezes in a row, why wasn’t that happening in April :doh: . Anyway, can’t complain & Kudos to Squaw for hanging in there!
BTW, Even though Squaw One is still running Mountain Run is done unless you want to remove your skis & walk a few times.
E4D9AAA8-B5BE-4FFB-8B37-D08464A84F2F.jpeg 0E0651A8-647D-460C-91C3-600C422B75A5.jpeg

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
View attachment 133561
I was also at Squaw today. I keep thinking I am done but 4 overnight freezes in a row, why wasn’t that happening in April :doh: . Anyway, can’t complain & Kudos to Squaw for hanging in there!
BTW, Even though Squaw One is still running Mountain Run is done unless you want to remove your skis & walk a few times.
View attachment 133562 View attachment 133563
Thought i was done too! But alas watching the temps last few nights and my son asking if i wanted to get some laps together- it’s his 30th B Day today - combined to make it irresistible. Gotta love Squaws effort to keep the music playing.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We plan on heading to Mammoth Thursday for a day trip.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Even though Squaw One is still running Mountain Run is done unless you want to remove your skis & walk a few times.
I usually don't download, but have never seen Mountain Run open and look like this.
I downloaded today after picking up beer I'd buried in snow near base of Emigrant on first run. 1767MountainRunGaps.JPG
I did see a few people on it including one guy carrying enough speed to cross a few 5-10' gaps although the two 20' ones slowed him down.

I was in 1st Funitel and skied until 1:15. I took a couple of warmup laps on Gold Coast, skied Siberia a few times before moving to Shirley where the most consistent snow was. Line ranged from 2-5 minutes. I returned to Siberia about noon and used Reverse Traverse to ski North Bowl twice. I thought once may have been enough, but snow was good enough that I did it again and managed to link turns through entrance (left of center).
1754NorthBowl.JPG
Looking down entrance to North Bowl I did twice. 1761DownNorthBowl.JPG
And looking back up
1763UpNorthBowlEntrance.JPG
Will be at Mammoth tomorrow and Fri, most likely starting from Mill at opening.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier

4ster

Instructor
Sounds like he will still be involved in both operations for now...
During his transition, Ron will be actively involved with all day-to-day operations of Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows including the Base-to-Base gondola project, destination renaming and rebranding efforts, and the hiring process for its new President and Chief Operating Officer.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My conversation this winter with one of Mammoth‘s long time managers makes me believe there will be exciting changes surrounding the main lodge area.
While skiing in May, I overheard someone who sounded authoritative talking about it. I think he said something like "... moving the beginner area <inaudible> where is always should have been."

4ster

Instructor
While skiing in May, I overheard someone who sounded authoritative talking about it. I think he said something like "... moving the beginner area <inaudible> where is always should have been."
Yes, that was part of it & IIRC moving the gondola base location, new or drastically refurbished/remodeled main lodge & Mammoth Mountain Inn along with some other infrastructure needs but don't quote me on that. They were on vacation & it was just part of the lift conversation while I was touring an old friend around Snowbasin having a great ski day but they seemed pretty excited about it ogsmile.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Not sure why the last 4 posts in Tahoe thread are about Mammoth, but I'll make it 5. See Mammoth Base, Mammoth Lakes, California - Ecosign
and
SEXY BEACH | The Sheet (thesheetnews.com) has the following about Main Lodge redevelopment (which may not start for 2 more years):

“Millions or Billions?”

Brownlie and MMSA Vice-President of Real Estate Development Tom Hodges then danced around the question before arriving at something like “Hundreds of Ms, approaching a B.”

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Mark wrote a nice article

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hmmmmm
MM Inn to become a 5 star mini-village? While I cannot deny that it desperately needs an upgrade/renovation, something tells me the Inn's dog super friendly policy may not be part of the new plan, which makes me sad.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmmmm
MM Inn to become a 5 star mini-village? While I cannot deny that it desperately needs an upgrade/renovation, something tells me the Inn's dog super friendly policy may not be part of the new plan, which makes me sad.
True. But a $50/day charge per dog is not really all that fig friendly to start with.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
True. But a $50/day charge per dog is not really all that fig friendly to start with.

Also true, but MMI allows you to keep your (well behaved) dog unaccompanied in your room while skiing etc., unlike the fancier hotels e.g. the Westin, which still charge the same nightly fee if they allow dogs at all. The idea of having to pay for a dog sitting service (which wasn't available due to limited staffing this Spring) or doggie day care (again no space available) seems much more onerous than what MMI charges. There are second tier hotels in town that allow unaccompanied dogs to stay in rooms, but staying up on the mountain is soooo much better ........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online