• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2020/21 Northeast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We hit the slopes post rain, pre freeze yesterday for some fun creamy turns and softish bumps on lower mountain runs. the rock hard bumps on lower Organgrinder were kind of melty. Went snowshoeing today. It is what it is.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I did get out from about 11:30 to 3:00 today at Killington. Sunny, cold and windy, with a very light crowd. Calling the surfaces firm would be generous . Had to smile when the Killington report this morning said bring your handwarmers and sharpest skis to enjoy some "classic New England sking and riding".
We skied from 2-4 yesterday and I had the right tool for the job, some Rossi Hero Elite LT. Still skidded out in a few spots. I'd like to blame the need for a fresh tune, so I dropped them off at Potter Bros, but I know in my heart that I let my form get away from me.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hello all! I have missed this community. Hope everyone is as well as possible given the circumstances....I am about to cave after deciding to "sit this one out," with dreams of going to Quebec (but we're still banned). Other close options I was thinking of were Jay Peak or Maine (if not for skiing, just general serenity and good food). I've looked at their gov websites and they still list 14 and 10 day mandatory quarantines. Does anyone here know if any of those restrictions have loosened at all and they just forgot to update their websites?? I know, wishful thinking....
For NY you can bypass the 10 day quarantine if you test negative within 72 hours of departure and on the 4th day of a minimum 3 day quarantine upon arrival...

James

Out There
Instructor
Hey Pumba, great to hear from you!

The main recent change in VT:

CAN I COME TO VERMONT?
If you are fully vaccinated (it has been 14 days since your final vaccine dose), you may travel to Vermont without quarantine. Anyone else traveling to Vermont must quarantine.

Jed

Booting up
Skier
Just to clarify for those not vaccinated, if you are traveling by car you can quarantine in your home state for either 14 days or 7 days plus a negative test. If you travel by public transportation the quarantine must be in Vermont. You also may not lodge with anyone outside you household when in Vermont. You will likely be required by your lodging to provide the document attesting to this compliance.

Additional to the post above, those vaccinated may house with one additional household in Vermont.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hello all! I have missed this community. Hope everyone is as well as possible given the circumstances....I am about to cave after deciding to "sit this one out," with dreams of going to Quebec (but we're still banned). Other close options I was thinking of were Jay Peak or Maine (if not for skiing, just general serenity and good food). I've looked at their gov websites and they still list 14 and 10 day mandatory quarantines. Does anyone here know if any of those restrictions have loosened at all and they just forgot to update their websites?? I know, wishful thinking....
For NY you can bypass the 10 day quarantine if you test negative within 72 hours of departure and on the 4th day of a minimum 3 day quarantine upon arrival...
Maine requires a negative test no more than 72 hours prior to entry or quarantine but not both. Additionally, tests are available in Maine for the return trip home. I haven't counted how many tests i have taken but safe to say i am a pro with the nasal swab.

Vermont is out unless you are a hermit or bend the rules so to speak.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Stowe report for March 4th.

Cold and windy. Anything ungroomed was closed and for good reason, so it was a groomer-zoomer day. Gondola was on wind hold all day, but you could still reach Perry Merrill and Gondolier by cutting over on Rimrock. Those runs were pretty awesome; nobody else over there, sunshine, soft-ish sun baked snow. Even the turns on Nosedive were in pretty good shape; the wind must have been blowing snow in there for a change.

With the gondola on wind-hold, pretty much everybody was lapping the quad, which was also running slowly, so there was a pretty decent liftline. On the bright side, it meant that the trails themselves were pretty quiet.

I headed over for some Spruce-side laps around noon-time. I took one lap off of Sensation (Spruce-side summit lift). Main Street was horrible; super icy and crowded. Headed back to the quad side, but it was getting pretty scraped down over there and I didn't have the legs to keep driving the skis the way they had to be driven to grip in those conditions.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pretty nice day here at Killington. Temps in the teens, some wind but no lift issues, and a sunny bluebird afternoon. The Killington groomers again performed their magic overnight and the blue ice of Tuesday is now gone and replaced with a soft(ish) packed surface. With a light crowd and lots of trails open, surfaces stayed enjoyable right to the closing bell.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
We skied Pico for a change of pace today. Some runs were a little crunchy or slick, but a good day! Never ventured into Birch Glades before, that was fun.
Pico is the place to go on Thursday if there has been new snow Tuesday/Wednesday as they are closed those days. You can find fresh tracks while Killington will be completely tracked out and groomed. Last Thursday I skied Birch multiple times with lots of fresh snow to be found. One of my favorite trails in Vermont. My other fav at Pico though a bit tougher is Summit Glades. Lots of woods at Pico also.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Need some New Hampshire advice (never been). Thinking about road-tripping it up next Wed night and skiing Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, driving home Sunday. Was thinking of Loon but is Bretton W worth the extra drive, or another?

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Need some New Hampshire advice (never been). Thinking about road-tripping it up next Wed night and skiing Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, driving home Sunday. Was thinking of Loon but is Breton W worth the extra drive, or another?

Loon and BW are vastly different mountains. BW is (in)famous for its pitch, or rather the lack thereof. It’s a very relaxing mountain. Loon has some real pitch.

Note that they aren’t that far apart. Maybe 30 miles? Cannon mountain sits between them as well. Cannon probably presents the most challenge of the three.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pico is the place to go on Thursday if there has been new snow Tuesday/Wednesday as they are closed those days. You can find fresh tracks while Killington will be completely tracked out and groomed. Last Thursday I skied Birch multiple times with lots of fresh snow to be found. One of my favorite trails in Vermont. My other fav at Pico though a bit tougher is Summit Glades. Lots of woods at Pico also.
Wife and I were going to venture into Summit Glades perhaps after Birch, but ran out of time and legs. I was there also on Saturday with a friend before the deluge and tried Sunset 71 bumps, which was just a bit above my current skill level, but still a fun challenge. Today iT was a slick mess and we bailed to KA.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
What’s Loon likely to be like on Saturday — or would that be a good divert day to, say, Cannon?

A zoo. Loon is super crowded on the weekends. Cannon slightly less so. Was at Loon today and while it was a glorious bluebird day, I'd have been better off with hockey skates than my K2s.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Quick trip up to Crotched yesterday for ½ day. Ski on to the lift (as compared to the long lines weekday mornings at Wachusett.)

Decent mountain, good conditions with a bit too much sugar in places for our tastes, and choice of skis (SL.)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Last time I encouraged a Pug to visit Maine - in this instance @Sandy_NYC - it turned into a major debacle. Therefore I'm sealing my lips this time and just sending good vibes to you and Peter. Nice to see you posting.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Need some New Hampshire advice (never been). Thinking about road-tripping it up next Wed night and skiing Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, driving home Sunday. Was thinking of Loon but is Bretton W worth the extra drive, or another?
Loon is a good mountain I have skied a few times. My only gripe is the chairs don't have foot rests and when my feet hang down when riding the legs get tired quickly. Because of that it has been a while since I went back, not sure what it is like today.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Killington's an hour, fifteen mins closer, probably even better when taking in we have to roll around NYC right around 4:30 rush hour if we head to NH (work departures...). Is the juice worth the squeeze headed to Loon to "try something different"? We were at Killington within the last ten years or so, I'd say...

And Sugarbu$h (kind of was in the mood to head there) is stupid money for three days.

Loon is a good mountain I have skied a few times. My only gripe is the chairs don't have foot rests and when my feet hang down when riding the legs get tired quickly. Because of that it has been a while since I went back, not sure what it is like today.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Killington's an hour-fifteen closer, probably even better when taking in we have to roll around NYC right around 4:30 rush hour if we head to NH (work departures...). Is the juice worth the squeeze headed to Loon to "try something different"? We were at Killington within the last ten years or so, I'd say...
Of course not. Plus Killington is different than 10yrs ago.
Killington has the added benefit of half a dozen very good ski shops. It’s March, things go on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor