• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2020/21 Northeast

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am in the same camp as @elemmac on fatties for spring snow. I was at Killington yesterday and was on my Origin 96"s and let em run and pogo'd down the trails like a Kangaroo. Such fun and what a great day.

So a quick Kton report: Still some firm runs up high on the peaks and on slopes with less sun. Not icy at all, just not real soft. Anything with a lot of sun was soft and wonderful. Even bottom of Bear Mtn was not terribly slushy, but it was super soft mashed potatoes. Spring wax is absolutely needed, I was using Dominator Butter wax and it was fabulous. I was on the same skis the day before yesterday at SR without the wax, and was doing the herky jerky all day long and swearing a lot. Back to Kton, most runs had excellent coverage, like SR, they make a lot of snow on a lot of trails and it makes a huge difference in coverage. I skied one run down Outer Limits. I don't remember the moguls being as big and as steep on that trail, I must be getting old. They were soft and skied fabulously. Multiple "catch your breath" breaks needed on that run. Crowds were low and essentially no lines. Today and maybe tomorrow will be great again. Hopefully Fridays rain will be light and conditions will continue to be good next week. Have to watch the temp's to see how it goes. This last 5 days were the "make up classes" for the missed spring of last year.

Outer Limits about 1/2 way down

IMG_20210323_114347800.jpg

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
It's amazing how people can have totally different opinions on this one. Whatever puts a grin on your face I love to feel the weightless, effortless bounce of wide skis on lumpy, mashed potato bumps, almost trampoline-like sensations. The Völkl Ones were on point yesterday afternoon...

View attachment 129186
View attachment 129187
Hah, good point. I assert those ski well because the top sheets are nice. Probably have black bases, too. ogsmile
I haven’t totally given up on the Menace. We shall see if we get some more nice spring stuff.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And the wedding is still on??

Take him down Outer limits if you want it to be canceled ogwink
He is progressing and handling chop pretty well, but true moguls are still a work in progress for the entire family. Jane was showing some good form on the large Wildfire moguls, so she is stoked again to hit OL.

He is on the Army scholarship at Pitt med school and did two tours in Jordan at a paramedic so I don't think we can scare him off!

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Anywhere on epic still worth skiing next week?

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Berkshire East closed due to power outages.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Killington opened in the afternoon and we got about two hours in before the lightning closed the lifts at 3 pm. Delayed start this morning until 9 am. Heavy rain forecasted for Sunday.:(

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
MRG throws in the towel.

Skiing in Stowe was... better than I thought it would be. It wasn't heinous. There were fun parts. I think the Front 4 might be toast. Hayride could go a while longer. Gondolier was good and I expect that Mansfield Blues should be fine.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Today was probably one of the best ski days I've had this year. Yes, it started out refrozen, and the lack of coverage has my race skis retreating to the tuning room until next year, but between the late-groomed stuff that softened almost right away and the other stuff that softened as the sun hit it, it turned into some pretty darn good spring skiing.

The magic (and missing) ingredient was lift lines. Aside from the 11:00 a.m. timeframe at Barker, I didn't see a meaningful liftline all day. We skied onto Jordan for multiple laps, which is the first time that's happened this year; I actually went back out after coaching and grabbed a couple more runs of glorious spring bumps, with a bit of moss and grass thrown in for good measure (the small "walking required" disc wasn't kidding—I would've needed a pair of well-thrashed silly-season skis to be comfortable sending what was left in the largest gap on Top Gun—but I was able to side-step across it and did not have to give in and remove skis). A lot of trails have areas of thin or missing coverage, but the vast majority of the snowmaking trails still have pretty good width and depth for skiing purposes (as long as you pretend it's mid-April and not the end of March).

I'll be crossing my fingers that tomorrow's weather doesn't wallop what's left too badly.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm not sure what weather they are expecting in NH tomorrow, but apparently both Waterville and Cannon will be closed.

James

Out There
Instructor
There’s wind advisories all day tomorrow.
Today morning was ok. Not as nice corn as yesterday. Then the rain came.
AA283F48-94C3-4908-8CA9-9B9C39C04B4D.jpeg
This about 1pm. You have to wait for someone to come along.

68E09DCE-0B18-4DBE-8F5D-674062418C58.jpeg
It’s a bit wet. Top was very windy with ice pellets mixed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online