• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2021-2022 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Last minute invite from a buddy has us at Sugar tomorrow. Will keep an eye out for PugSki stickers. I’ll be in orange pants, dark grey jacket light grey helmet. If Gunther’s lift is running I’ll be lapping that. Otherwise suffering through the Six chair or maybe hanging out in Oma’s.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
no action shots but Chip skis a very smooth classic with style while Pipe flails on sketch side scrub.
So I guess I ski with style ;)
What a blast yesterday was, we got a bunch of laps in- lost count after a while. I haven't taken a day trip like that since the mid 80's and never drove 3 hours one way to ski.

The funny thing was that both of our wives were like- "I can't believe your going skiing with a stranger, hope they're not crazy or anything." Good times for sure!

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
So I guess I ski with style ;)
What a blast yesterday was, we got a bunch of laps in- lost count after a while. I haven't taken a day trip like that since the mid 80's and never drove 3 hours one way to ski.

The funny thing was that both of our wives were like- "I can't believe your going skiing with a stranger, hope they're not crazy or anything." Good times for sure!

Remind them they were strangers at one point and it turned out ok :D, unless they think otherwise…. :roflmao:

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Beautiful day on Sugar Mountain. Good to great conditions until the crowds set in heavy around 12. We bailed then, 30 min wait for the parking lot bus and cars inching along backed all the way out to the main road.

After years of skiing there finally knocked out the “double black” Whoop-Dee-Do - short and steep. And icy. Meh. Gunther’s and Tom Terrific skiing pretty good today. Really need Sugar to update Gunther’s Way lift and get it running. The lower half is just a s* show.
04A6C6E4-B94E-4CB9-AD37-98016BC69C80.jpeg A2DC2E00-66FC-4D86-BB42-3CAD92436303.jpeg F67E6268-4FF3-4C26-B02E-FCA690E5F073.jpeg C28E9145-90D9-4E23-AE3F-F796D576BDA1.jpeg 40CFC2BC-047D-4B4C-9CAF-0A3B1D2203C8.jpeg

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The funny-to-me part of this comment is that ^that^ is pretty darn close to the exact math for every randonee / tour/self powered ski that isn't on proper nordic skis.
Yeah, but you’re talking 30 min uphill climb for the 1 min descent, correct? Unless I misunderstand you? (I haven’t fully completed the cantunamunch mind-meld yet :beercheer:).

To be clear, I’d be perfectly OK with a 30 uphill climb that ended in a 1 min descent. It’s the standing around that I can’t stand.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Beautiful day on Sugar Mountain. Good to great conditions until the crowds set in heavy around 12. We bailed then, 30 min wait for the parking lot bus and cars inching along backed all the way out to the main road.
View attachment 156370
Are all those people waiting line or just hanging out? If the line we need another ski area!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yeah, but you’re talking 30 min uphill climb for the 1 min descent, correct? Unless I misunderstand you? (I haven’t fully completed the cantunamunch mind-meld yet :beercheer:).

To be clear, I’d be perfectly OK with a 30 uphill climb that ended in a 1 min descent. It’s the standing around that I can’t stand.

You understood just fine. I can't stand standing either :D

David Orr

Getting off the lift
Skier
It's a weekend in NC...what do you expect? The vast majority of the "cluster" is "first time skiers/snowboarders" from out of state. There are signs that say, "This is not a lift for Beginners", but you all know how well we follow instructions these days. Locals have the mountain to themselves Tuesday -Thursday.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
It's a weekend in NC...what do you expect? The vast majority of the "cluster" is "first time skiers/snowboarders" from out of state. There are signs that say, "This is not a lift for Beginners", but you all know how well we follow instructions these days. Locals have the mountain to themselves Tuesday -Thursday.
Oh I expected exactly that. I also expect if Sugar wants to serve all its customers well they’ll get Gunther’s Way lift updated and running. I’m not so sure they do though. Seems to be no lack of demand for lift ticket sales in spite of the horrid logistics of getting runs in there. You really gotta want to ski to put up with that mess.

Would much prefer to be weekday skiers but with work and school and living 2.5h away well, ain’t happening.

In spite of all my whining here we happily paid our $60 for the morning. Worth it! Our choice to bail out when it crowds up. I’d pay $80 if it guaranteed a high speed quad or hell just running the $#%@ slow ass double up GW to keep from having to ski all the way down through the beginner maelstrom every time. #harrumph

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
What's the correct thread to use for posting anti-stoke? Like, say, if my local ski shop was closing?

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
So I've decided I'm going to try going to one of the areas near the Banner Elk/Blowing Rock area during one of my trips to the RDU area. Can anyone give me some info on which areas require boot up at the car, and if that's the case for all of them which one you can park closest to the slopes? I don't really care about vertical or difficulty of runs, just wanna push the "easy" button LOL

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I am going to Blue Mountain PA on Thursday of this week. If anyone is going to be around and is willing to take a few runs with an old guy. Look for the guy with the solid yellow jacket skiing on Head i-Rally skis, or PM me here.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
So I've decided I'm going to try going to one of the areas near the Banner Elk/Blowing Rock area during one of my trips to the RDU area. Can anyone give me some info on which areas require boot up at the car, and if that's the case for all of them which one you can park closest to the slopes? I don't really care about vertical or difficulty of runs, just wanna push the "easy" button LOL
Appalachian probably easiest parking situation it’s flat from the lot to the lodge. Sugar if you get there late is terrible. Old slow school bus ride and a bit of a schlep up hill to the lodge. Beech Mtn kind of in the middle, but also get there late and it’s a long walk up hill. You can boot up inside at all 3 if you are ok with a crowd. App might be best bet if you are serious about vertical or difficulty.

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm one of those people that will sacrifice sleeping in to get there early. I hate crowded ski areas. If its at all possible, I would ski on a weekday. But I may not have a choice this year. From what I've seen on the webcams, Sugar is the most crowded....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online