• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2021-2022 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No jughandles? In the entire state? SOLD!
PA now is putting in roundabouts. Wow….progress, LOL! Took them long enough to figure out that they are more efficient than traffic lights in some areas. Of course, all the old-timers near me protested the construction of the first one. It’s helped alleviate traffic backups by a lot, but….change! :eek:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
PA now is putting in roundabouts. Wow….progress, LOL! Took them long enough to figure out that they are more efficient than traffic lights in some areas. Of course, all the old-timers near me protested the construction of the first one. It’s helped alleviate traffic backups by a lot, but….change! :eek:

Any chance of a diamond intersection? pleeeeeez?

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any chance of a diamond intersection? pleeeeeez?
I think 2 were put in on Rt 22 in the Allentown/Bethlehem area, replacing dangerous clover leaves were the convergence of the exit/entry ramps caused all kinds of traffic weaving chaos. They are easy to navigate.

However, I’ve seen some PA new highway construction where they still put in the chaos-inducing clover leaves. :huh: But, it’s PA. Not exactly the model of innovation here.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No jughandles? In the entire state? SOLD!
NJ tops the list of states with jughandles. PA is right behind. According to Wikipedia,
States with a prevalence of jughandles include New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Ohio, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New York, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, and Vermont. Jughandles are particularly associated with New Jersey.[3][4][5]

Looks like NC didn’t make the list. Good news for @johnnyvw !

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Progress? NJ has been getting rid of them over the last 30 years, as they cause back ups because people forget the "rules of the road" when they get to them...they either freeze up or just barrel into them. They worked well in the 30's to 50's when traffic was much less, not so much these days

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Progress? NJ has been getting rid of them over the last 30 years, as they cause back ups because people forget the "rules of the road" when they get to them...they either freeze up or just barrel into them. They worked well in the 30's to 50's when traffic was much less, not so much these days
To be fair, the areas where roundabouts are being implemented aren’t on high-trafficked highways, but more moderately trafficked 2-lane roads where lights caused the huge backups.

PA drivers aren’t quite NJ drivers either. ogwink

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
The new one in PA that I'm most familiar with is in the Marshalls Creek area (near Ski Shawnee), where they did the by-pass. In that case, it works OK because the whole by-pass makes life easier than the old intersection did. The other one I know being constructed is in Brodheadsville. That area is always a mess with traffic.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To be fair, the areas where roundabouts are being implemented aren’t on high-trafficked highways, but more moderately trafficked 2-lane roads where lights caused the huge backups.

PA drivers aren’t quite NJ drivers either. ogwink
Not true:

http://www.yargerengineering.com/articles/roundabouts.html

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not true:

http://www.yargerengineering.com/articles/roundabouts.html

I believe @Wendy was only referring to the roundabouts she knew of in PA... not all of them in general.

Around here, the same holds true. I know of several roundabouts in suburban or more rural areas, where a stop light can occasionally create some traffic delay, but there isn't enough traffic that a roundabout ever backs up. I haven't seen new roundabouts going in at more high traffic places around here.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I believe @Wendy was only referring to the roundabouts she knew of in PA... not all of them in general.

Around here, the same holds true. I know of several roundabouts in suburban or more rural areas, where a stop light can occasionally create some traffic delay, but there isn't enough traffic that a roundabout ever backs up. I haven't seen new roundabouts going in at more high traffic places around here.

You know, I'll bet that Google know a lot more about that than they're publishing. Their map interpretation and traffic evaluation facilities should be able to generate that info almost as an afterthought.

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The old timers probably remember the disastrous roundabouts of New Jersey and never drove a properly implemented roundabout. Japan had sent engineers to Indy to study their roundabouts.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

True. Just the ones I see around here.
We can get a lot of tractor trailer traffic on roads not designed for them (one reason why we can’t wait to leave PA). At traffic lights, the heavy trucks take so long to get going again that it backs things up, whereas with just cars it’s not so bad. The roundabouts at least keep things moving enough that the trucks don’t have to stop, just slow down, so that the backups don’t occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January