• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2021-2022 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
OK never mind your garage - I want to see people skiing the DVP or the 401.
DVP is close..half the 401 is closed.. I suspect there are some skiers out there. The issue is, there's too much snow to even ski. I measured the back street and we have 22" on the ground. It's more snowshoe territory... After the initial plow it will be good skiing though!!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It snowed all day at Sunday River, about 11 inches. More ended up in the woods. No rain (at least through 2:30 pm), some wind holds but not debilitating, easy lines. They dropped some ropes, a bit of woods, moguls, and some rocks here and there. Good base building day.)

About 15 minutes southeast on the way home, the snow had changed to a drizzle, We had already passed the curve but I guess a tractor trailer crashed into a house. Then it was sunny/partly cloudy, and the pavement on route 95 seacost was dry. Interesting weather but it was good to us.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Bretton Woods is reporting 14" from yesterday. No telling where all the snow ended up given that both BWoods and Cannon closed yesterday due to high winds. Top of BW's gondola:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The funny thing is some of us in this thread have XC skis with surface area to make snowshoes cry.
Do you have the Atlai’s? I tried the Black Diamond Snow Trekkers in Duluth and my husband and I really liked them. We used them for breaking trail in new snow as well as exploring some snowshoe trails.

They were more fun than snowshoes, IMO. Hubby wants to get a pair next year.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It snowed all day at Sunday River, about 11 inches. More ended up in the woods. No rain (at least through 2:30 pm), some wind holds but not debilitating, easy lines. They dropped some ropes, a bit of woods, moguls, and some rocks here and there. Good base building day.)

About 15 minutes southeast on the way home, the snow had changed to a drizzle, We had already passed the curve but I guess a tractor trailer crashed into a house. Then it was sunny/partly cloudy, and the pavement on route 95 seacost was dry. Interesting weather but it was good to us.
I’m going up there with my sister-in-law to ski Feb8-9. I’ve got an IKON pass; she doesn’t, so I’ll get her F&F tickets. Since I need to get those online for specific dates, do you have any feeling about how ticket sales are at SR and if I need to reserve her lift tickets early? Or @MissySki do you know?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know how ticket sales are, but I will give a heads up about F&F tickets on the Ikon. They start with the max price ticket amount (like holiday prices) and then discount 25% from there. Depending on the timimg, I found I got a significantly lower price by buying advanced on line tickets. If they are charging holiday rates when you are there, then its a savings, but if early season or late season, the F&F is not the lowest price ticket. Based on your dates, the F&F is probably the way to go (check online multi day ticket prices for comparison)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don’t think they have been selling out of tickets at Sunday River. It’s hard to imagine them selling out non vacation mid week. It’s easy to imagine the price going up from the current price of $70.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don't know how ticket sales are, but I will give a heads up about F&F tickets on the Ikon. They start with the max price ticket amount (like holiday prices) and then discount 25% from there. Depending on the timimg, I found I got a significantly lower price by buying advanced on line tickets. If they are charging holiday rates when you are there, then its a savings, but if early season or late season, the F&F is not the lowest price ticket. Based on your dates, the F&F is probably the way to go (check online multi day ticket prices for comparison)
AFAIK this has always been the case with Ikon F&F tickets. :huh:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
AFAIK this has always been the case with Ikon F&F tickets. :huh:

Yup. This surprised none of us cynics ;)
Do you have the Atlai’s? I tried the Black Diamond Snow Trekkers in Duluth and my husband and I really liked them. We used them for breaking trail in new snow as well as exploring some snowshoe trails.

They were more fun than snowshoes, IMO. Hubby wants to get a pair next year.

I have something similar to the Hokk - the Rossi Free Venture. Think of them as 100mm wide Snowblades with full-cut skins and a Mueller binding (like a budget Silvretta 404) on them.

They totally work, but it wasn't what I was referring to when I posted the above. Fat XC and XCD skis, specifically the ones with tips > 90mm also have more surface area than snowshoes, particularly in >170cm lengths. My Rossi BC90s and my S-Bound 112s would have had no problem in Toronto's snow, though they might have been slower than the guy skiing in the ruts.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We skied with our Bromley friends yesterday afternoon and skied all our favorite trails post powder dump. I'm sure by today it was all groomed out so yesterday was a big powder bump day. Bumps on shincracker and sunset were pretty large but it was soft fluffy fantastic snow. I really love my stormrider 95s. Holy sh!t they are amazing. The summit was opened around 2pm so we got near first tracks up there and OMG it was glorious as it had been snowing for hours and was ungroomed. If we had more time today I would have gone left to right and skied everything that was open. I went to bed happy last night. My go to daily ski has been my Blizzard Brahma 82s but yesterday my Stockli Stormrider 95s came out and OMG whatta day.

A few more pictures.

IMG_9868.jpg IMG_9869.jpg IMG_9870.jpg

IMG_20220118_072355_123.jpg

Last edited:

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m going up there with my sister-in-law to ski Feb8-9. I’ve got an IKON pass; she doesn’t, so I’ll get her F&F tickets. Since I need to get those online for specific dates, do you have any feeling about how ticket sales are at SR and if I need to reserve her lift tickets early? Or @MissySki do you know?
I haven’t seen any announcements that day tickets have sold out this season so far. Last season they did quite often with capacity restrictions in place, and they’d mention it in the mountain report for upcoming weekends as applicable. You’ll definitely be fine on weekdays in that regard.

The annoying part to me is that often the friend ticket prices don’t seem any better than just buying online early, but I also don’t track those fluctuations super closely.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We skied with our Bromley friends yesterday afternoon and skied all our favorite trails post powder dump. I'm sure by today it was all groomed out so yesterday was a big powder bump day. Bumps on shincracker and sunset were pretty large but it was soft fluffy fantastic snow. I really love my stormrider 95s. Holy sh!t they are amazing. The summit was opened around 2pm so we got near first tracks up there and OMG it was glorious as it had been snowing for hours and was ungroomed. If we had more time today I would have gone left to right and skied everything that was open. I went to bed happy last night. My go to daily ski has been my Blizzard Brahma 82s but yesterday my Stöckli Stormrider 95s came out and OMG whatta day.

A few more pictures.

View attachment 155941 View attachment 155942 View attachment 155943

View attachment 155775
Yeah, yeah, yeah, rub it in that you all got powder while we got….rain and ice. :duck:

Powder days are best at smaller places such as Bromley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online