• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC 2021-2022 PNW Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilligan

Getting off the lift
Skier
Lift infrastructure at the mountain was actually very good when the area changed hands
Yes it was. The gondola (originally proposed as a tram) and Northway were both in place which were the most impactful lifts in the masterplan. And Alterra added additional cabins to the gondy to bring it to, I think, full capacity. Quicksilver was also replaced as well as Chair 6 - but not by plan as we all know! The only significant proposed lifts that haven't been built are the Bullion Basin and Kelly's Gap express lifts.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Yes it was. The gondola (originally proposed as a tram) and Northway were both in place which were the most impactful lifts in the masterplan. And Alterra added additional cabins to the gondy to bring it to, I think, full capacity. Quicksilver was also replaced as well as Chair 6 - but not by plan as we all know! The only significant proposed lifts that haven't been built are the Bullion Basin and Kelly's Gap express lifts.

Kelly's gap would be good, but maybe making FQ an 8 pack ... I know they'd like to make QS a detachable and run it up a bit higher... hopefully there'll never be a lift up silver basin. :)

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Once Crystal builds the Kelly's Gap lift, the infrastructure on their current footprint will feel very complete. Their existing lift infrastructure is quite good. I appreciate that they consciously chose doubles for Northway and the Chair 6 rebuild. @markojp I totally agree about not having a lift up Silver King.

I do hope that over time they expand their footprint to Bullion Basin. Ultimately, it would be nice if everything from Pickhandle to East was lift-served. I know that would stink a bit for uphill users, but we are suffering from a serious lack of inbounds terrain and capacity in Washington in the face of population and outdoor recreation increases. Expanding an existing ski area feels infinitely easier than trying to create a new one.

If Crystal did expand their footprint, it would be great if that could be paired with keeping more roads/passes plowed for backcountry users. While it would be a costly undertaking, keeping Cayuse and Chinook open year around like Paradise would be awesome. Sadly, I don't think the ski community has enough political power to influence the powers that be to make it happen, although the history of local politics often says that a small group of very loud, vocal people can make change happen. My dream would be for 410 to stay open year round, but that would require building sheds and dedicating serious resources to control work.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Crystal has not been my home mountain for 10 years or so but even then there were times where parking started to become an issue.
How feasible would it be to build a parking garage similar to Winter Park? Yes, they charge for parking. 1 level to keep cleared of snow and 3 or 4 levels of parking. It might delay a new lift for a season but in scheme of things it could be a major enhancement.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I have some mixed feeling on the Alpental Development Plan on the one hand I really like the fact that they limit uphill travel with chair 2, but at the same time hate the wait on busy days. Their proposal for a high speed quad up international, would likely open up the back bowls and make them inbounds. Those that currently access them through the gates probably hate this idea, but at the same time there is nothing to stop them from creating new gates further out. All that said and done I believe this plan is well over 20 years old and there is no time frame for implementing it.

gilligan

Getting off the lift
Skier
Crystal has not been my home mountain for 10 years or so but even then there were times where parking started to become an issue.
How feasible would it be to build a parking garage similar to Winter Park? Yes, they charge for parking. 1 level to keep cleared of snow and 3 or 4 levels of parking. It might delay a new lift for a season but in scheme of things it could be a major enhancement.

A parking structure Is in the approved masterplan but not sure how big it's planned to be I believe it's part of the proposed Bullion Basin base area at the south end of the B-lot where the BB and Kelly's gap lifts would start. Of course this all pre-Alterra.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
it would be great if that could be paired with keeping more roads/passes plowed for backcountry users. While it would be a costly undertaking, keeping Cayuse and Chinook open year around like Paradise would be awesome.

As cool as that would be, I just don't see any way that's realistic. There are all kinds of issues ranging from prohibitions on avalanche blasting and even salting roads within the park, to lack of emergency services within a reasonable proximity. It would be a massive undertaking logistically, and "costly" is an understatement. And it would benefit such a tiny group of people in the grand scheme of things. I just don't see this happening.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
As cool as that would be, I just don't see any way that's realistic. There are all kinds of issues ranging from prohibitions on avalanche blasting and even salting roads within the park, to lack of emergency services within a reasonable proximity. It would be a massive undertaking logistically, and "costly" is an understatement. And it would benefit such a tiny group of people in the grand scheme of things. I just don't see this happening.

Great points. I do hope that as interest in winter recreation continues to grow, Washington considers expanding accessible backcountry terrain to more logistically feasible areas than Cayuse and Chinook, but I won't hold my breath.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skibowl's base area got snow. Wild to see such low snow levels already. It looks like we're in for more snow during the week, but less than Colorado or Utah is getting.

Skibowl snow oct 11 21.PNG

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Based on local forecasts, I'm guessing in about a week the local ski areas will start accumulating snow down to the base.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Does anyone know if Meadows or Timberline are OK with uphill travel before the season starts? I'm not looking to do anything crazy, I'm just thinking about hiking up a mellow blue or even green that isn't too rocky in a couple of weeks, or whenever we start to see enough accumulation, just to get back on the snow. I'm very used to low tide from my time on the east coast, but I'm not interested in anything crazy that could end my season before it starts.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Does anyone know if Meadows or Timberline are OK with uphill travel before the season starts? I'm not looking to do anything crazy, I'm just thinking about hiking up a mellow blue or even green that isn't too rocky in a couple of weeks, or whenever we start to see enough accumulation, just to get back on the snow. I'm very used to low tide from my time on the east coast, but I'm not interested in anything crazy that could end my season before it starts.
Pictures or it didn't happen. :beercheer:

Reactions: RJS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online