• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2021-2022 Poconos and Greater Area Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
As I sit here right now, a mile from the base of Elk Mountain, Hurricane Henri is pushing through the region and likely dropping 2" or so of rain on the region. It's 75 degrees with 80% humidity and yet I can't help but think, "what if this was all snow?".
As Labor Day approaches, one's mind can't help but wonder about the upcoming season: are we going to have another banner snow (and attendance) year here? Is the uptick in COVID cases in the area going to be a continuing issue? Only time will tell on that and a lot more, but I know I'm not the only one counting down the days until day #1.

How's everyone feeling?
How has the summer been treating you?
Did you buy any gear this offseason? (I got a much-needed new helmet at Idlewild's summer sale a couple of weeks back, other than that the kit and gear will be the same this season.)

Hope everyone is doing well, think snow-NE PA's ski season is only about 4 months away :cool:

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Any exciting infrastructure improvements at any Pocono resorts? Was hoping for a six-pack to replace the Sullivan after last year's major accident, but looks like business-as-usual.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any exciting infrastructure improvements at any Pocono resorts? Was hoping for a six-pack to replace the Sullivan after last year's major accident, but looks like business-as-usual.
I was just up at the mountain last weekend for a short hike and some "leaf peeping" Didn't look like much was done over the summer, though there did appear to be some snow making pipe work being done. There were no chairs on the Sullivan Line but I don't think that is unusual. Does look like they disassembled the zip line from the summit to the base though. I'll take just getting back to more normal with après ski etc.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
While the CO folks are making first turns, its 80 here in Delaware today...

Any of you old heads out there remember Blue Marsh Ski Area outside Reading?

Welcome to the site! Wait, one post since 2015?

Wife and I live up in the Landenberg/Kennett area right on the PA side of the DE-PA border. We both used to work in DE, "Home of Tax-Free Shopping", which we take full advantage of. I didn't start skiing until age 50 in 2008 up in the Poconos (Jack Frost and Blue Mtn mostly with a sprinkling of Elk), so I missed on this semi-local gem. I once had free lift tickets to Spring Mountain, but never worked them into our busy schedule before their season closed pre-maturely. What is your favorite Pocono spot?

Aleph Null

Putting on skis
Skier
Hey Marker & Phil-- Yeah, I'm beyond a lurker at this point-- more of a has been than a newbie. I was an Epic Ski guy -- I skied with Phil and Tricia before they were Phil and Tricia, but some health stuff and life stuff have dropped my skiing days down to around 7-10 per year-- mostly out in CO or UT or occasionally in Tahoe. My brother lives up above Breckenridge, so summit county is easy enough that I usually keep my better skis out there.

Back in high school in the late 90s I taught at Blue Marsh because I lived up in Reading-- it was a great little place for a bunch of punk kids who wanted to mess around on the mountain and not pay for lift tickets and close enough I could head up after school a few days a week and every weekend and make a few bucks when they'd bother paying.

Now-a-days, I'll occasionally head up to Blue Mountain (phil's favorite) or JF/BB, but I'm mostly one of those annoying elitists who doesn't bother driving 4 hours when I could fly for just a little longer and be up in . Wish I was a little bit closer so I could do a weekend gig teaching a handful of lessons again. I should use my epic pass at JF/BB more often now that they're on the pass, so maybe this year I'll head up a bit more.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
occasionally in Tahoe.
Hit us up!
I was just looking at old pics from Big Sky. Wasn't it your mom who skied in my group, or was that someone else?

Aleph Null

Putting on skis
Skier
Yeah-- that was my mom. She's still skiing-- we were in CO when the Pandemic hit and my mom canceled last minute, so hoping that we can get her out again when she's comfortable traveling. My uncle has a place at Donner lake and before he lived in CO my brother was living part time in SLT, so it always seems like I'm running around trying to catch one of them when I'm out there, but next time I'm out there we'll hit you up and see if we can make some turns somewhere.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah-- that was my mom. She's still skiing-- we were in CO when the Pandemic hit and my mom canceled last minute, so hoping that we can get her out again when she's comfortable traveling. My uncle has a place at Donner lake and before he lived in CO my brother was living part time in SLT, so it always seems like I'm running around trying to catch one of them when I'm out there, but next time I'm out there we'll hit you up and see if we can make some turns somewhere.
It'd be great to see you and her again.
We travel a fair bit, so maybe we'll bump into you somewhere else if not here in the Tahoe area.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
3 posts in 6 years? Slow down cowboy. You are making some of the more active members nervous.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
I haven't taken a hike up there to confirm with my own eyes yet, but I hear that Elk is joining the RFID gate club this year.

Aleph Null

Putting on skis
Skier
Hope all is back on track now.

Meh-- I have MS, which sucks, but I've got it pretty well under control overall. Mostly affects me in the heat rather than the cold, so I'm working it. First few years really drug me down while I tried to get my shit back together, then it was a few years of trying to get fitness back, and a few weeks ago I ran my first 1/2 marathon in a decade, so that's pretty cool. Have days but I've been worse overall.

Pretty sure I skied with Ski-3po at a Utah gathering a million years ago-- good to see familiar usernames here.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied with you at the Utah Gathering also. I was actually thinking about some fo the people from the old Epic days and thought about you. Wasn't your GF going to be on TV or something, or was that someone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online