• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2021-2022 Poconos and Greater Area Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Meh-- I have MS, which sucks, but I've got it pretty well under control overall. Mostly affects me in the heat rather than the cold, so I'm working it. First few years really drug me down while I tried to get my shit back together, then it was a few years of trying to get fitness back, and a few weeks ago I ran my first 1/2 marathon in a decade, so that's pretty cool. Have days but I've been worse overall.

Pretty sure I skied with Ski-3po at a Utah gathering a million years ago-- good to see familiar usernames here.
This is interesting, I didn't know heat effected it. I bet if you post in the fitness and infirmary area about Skiing with MS you'd find that you're not alone.
It seems that every time someone posts about anything like this, diabetes, cancer, heart condition, (name the health issue here) members come out of the woodwork and find support, tips and ....support.

I know @UGASkiDawg 's wife has MS.

Mostly, I'm glad you are posting again. I look forward to making some turns with you.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty sure I skied with Ski-3po at a Utah gathering a million years ago
That's a pretty easy username to remember. I always figured we'd eventually have an R2-Ski2 as well... but so far, we don't. (And maybe a Luke Ski-walker, and an Obi-Wan Ski-nobi. We do have a @Ski Jedi though.)

I skied with you at the Utah Gathering also.
What was your Epic username?

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was Northeasterner, now Phelmut in reference to the pee in the helmet at Abasin.

Aleph Null

Putting on skis
Skier
Nah, My GF hates cameras. I was probably single then as it was a lot easier to push those long solo trips when I was a solo person.

She's a pretty casual skier- I took her up to one of the last Epic Academies I went to up at Stowe, and we've gone on a Breck and Big Sky trip, but she's a green/blue cruiser who doesn't mind a short or off day... opposite of what I'm looking for most mountain days. After I took her out west she's declared that she's not going to do PA skiing again-- guess she's a bit spoiled now, too.

As regards to MS, it definitely took a lot out of me the first few years. I had some real balance and stamina issues, but now most of my issues are invisible and intermittent-- some cog issues and fatigue, but it's not every day, so it's easy to celebrate those days.

Most of my next few years of ski days were spent with my father as he aged a bit skiing and slowed down cruising for a few hours. I pushed myself a bit with bike training and a few years back skinned up a bay for an early morning dawn patrol at A-Bay and was crying as the sun came up as I really didn't think I'd be doing that again. Now, I'm starting to think about finally getting my AAIRE-1 and trying to push myself to do some actual touring... though it scares me more than a bit to try to keep up with folks that don't live at 36ft above sea level.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
She's a pretty casual skier- I took her up to one of the last Epic Academies I went to up at Stowe, and we've gone on a Breck and Big Sky trip, but she's a green/blue cruiser who doesn't mind a short or off day... opposite of what I'm looking for most mountain days. After I took her out west she's declared that she's not going to do PA skiing again-- guess she's a bit spoiled now, too.

Funny thing about that. For 18 months my wife wanted to go skiing but I never wanted to take her in PA - because I didn’t think she’d get past her fear of the icy/man made. At month 19 and I went to Tahoe with her friends and I suddenly pushed skiing which she ended up loving.

Fast forward to back home, her first trip to Blue and she almost cried her first time down (so different than the fresh powder she learned on). Anyway she knew how fun it was an kept with it but even now she doesn’t like it as much as out west or our long weekend trips to tremblant.

I have an epic this year so I’ll try JF/BB for first time. Since it’s an hour drive it’s good for turns but nothing like out west. But turns are turns.

On plus side if is spoiled with west - it’s a good excuse to take her out west. My wife loved Banff/LL the most so far but I haven’t gotten her to CO yet.

Last edited:
TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
I know that JF and Blue opened in a limited capacity this past weekend. Elk just announced that they are targeting Thursday 12/16 to open.
Hopefully, Mother Nature cooperates with the plan. The temps are really all over the place in the long-range forecast.
I have both 12/16 and 12/17 off from work, so I'll be there if it works out.

I haven't seen announcements from any of the other areas, but they certainly could be out there. If anyone has some additional intel please add it.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Anyone doing the WNEP ski card this year? $120 for 1 lift ticket to 6 ski areas (Montage, Shawnee, Swain, Sawmill, Tussey, Big Bear at Masthope.) It's a good deal, but I live outside Philly now so I'm not sure I want to drive all that way for those ski areas. Made more sense for me when I lived in Scranton. My dad and I did it a number of years ago and it was fun to see ski areas you might not ordinarily get around to.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Where would you ski from Philly? Seems everything is a couple of hour's drive

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Where would you ski from Philly? Seems everything is a couple of hour's drive
-Probably Blue most frequently. About 90 minutes.
-Montage/ Elk as the parents still live in that area.
-Windham and the Catskill ski areas every now and then. About 4 hours, but I'm still in my 30's and willing to wake up at 4 am for long day trips and still ski bell-to-bell

At any rate, I'm looking forward to another season!

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-Probably Blue most frequently. About 90 minutes.
-Montage/ Elk as the parents still live in that area.
-Windham and the Catskill ski areas every now and then. About 4 hours, but I'm still in my 30's and willing to wake up at 4 am for long day trips and still ski bell-to-bell

At any rate, I'm looking forward to another season!
I only got up that early for bus trips to Elk by the Wilmington Ski Club (well, Montage once). 2.5 hr to Blue and a little more to JF. Those were my PA Triumvirate until we moved to Killington.

Our Pocono skiers need to seriously consider the upcoming NE Gathering at Killington and extend your season into early April!

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looking at the web cam, looks like Camelback is going RFID this season. Getting ready for an inter-changable with Blue? Or perhaps Ikon, though I kind of get the idea that won't happen. As a pass holder of both a CBK Pass and Ikon Pass it doesn't bother me (buying both) but I wouldn't mind KSL extending a small incentive to CBK/Blue pass holders to purchase an Ikon.

BTW looks like they resumed making snow up high (Asp to be precise) this morning and I would imagine an all out assault tonight when the temps start to tumble. I can see maybe a Thursday or Friday opening

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking at the web cam, looks like Camelback is going RFID this season. Getting ready for an inter-changable with Blue? Or perhaps Ikon, though I kind of get the idea that won't happen. As a pass holder of both a CBK Pass and Ikon Pass it doesn't bother me (buying both) but I wouldn't mind KSL extending a small incentive to CBK/Blue pass holders to purchase an Ikon.

BTW looks like they resumed making snow up high (Asp to be precise) this morning and I would imagine an all out assault tonight when the temps start to tumble. I can see maybe a Thursday or Friday opening
I have a Triple Ticket…so I’ll be there at least 3 days…(hopefully snow days)….lol.

jessnie

Booting up
Skier
Skied at Jack Frost (for the first time) yesterday. Not sure whether it's due to the bad weather forecast for the days ahead, the lines at all the lifts are crazy. Spent more time waiting in the line than skiing for sure. But I find their green and blue slopes are very friendly for beginners/intermediates.

jessnie

Booting up
Skier
Epic Pass influence?
That plays a part for sure, but given it's my first time there so really have no benchmark to refer to. I hope the line yesterday is more of an exception rather than norm, probably people who ski there more often can chime in here. Anyways plan to go back soon!

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Skied at Jack Frost (for the first time) yesterday. Not sure whether it's due to the bad weather forecast for the days ahead, the lines at all the lifts are crazy. Spent more time waiting in the line than skiing for sure. But I find their green and blue slopes are very friendly for beginners/intermediates.

Didn’t ski yesterday but I skied Monday/Tuesday and one day last week. The terrain is still limited and with the holiday it definitely was busier this week (expected). Last week I really had no lined before I left around 12:30.

What I will say is if you get there by 9 it doesn’t even get crowded Over on challenge until about 10:30 / 11 AM. Ive just tried to get there right at 9 and ski a bunch of runs before it gets crowded later.

Epic Pass influence?

I would guess no since it’s only been hitting later in the morning. I’m on epic this year and been skiing 9-12 pretty much to avoid the crowds this week.

Unfortunately limited terrain and holiday week never make for fun with the crowds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online