• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2021-2022 Steamboat Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Steamboat was a bit of a cluster F*ck today. Im not sure of the whole story, but the sundown lift was shutdown so I dont know what they did with the 1st tracks people but they delayed the general population and held them at the top the Gondi until 9. We took the Christy to Thunderhead lift. We know how to circumvent that so we skied down to the BC lift down through some incredible untracked pow, We were told the Storm peak lift was also shut down. There were about 50 of us waiting for the lifts to spin, snow still dumping. At 9, we heard a huge "yay" sound of hundreds of skiers dropping down from the Gondi. It was hysterical, no one told them Storm peak and 4 Points lifts were not spinning, so they anyone who skied down past BC lift got stuck at Storm peak. 4 points opened a few minutes later. We took BC up and skied down under the lift Thats a great bump run usually with large bumps on a good pitch We were about the 15th person down and some much snow blew in there were no visible bumps. It was crazy good! Headed up 4 points and hit Hurricane which gets overlooked on powder days. Yep, there had been maybe 10 people down it. The Wildcats just ripped it!

But, that was about it for the day! The hoards had hovered up every flake of powder. :). Hearing about the uncertainty of Storm Peak and Sundown , we moved to the lower mountain and lapped Teds, Oops and Vertigo which were cut up but still really good. 5 minute lift lines at Thunderhead.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Crazy day up on the MTN, Suffice to say, it was a short day for me as with limited lifts open and hoards of people who cant ski in boot high tracked snow = chaos. We got 3 amazing runs and then retreated to the Lower MTN which was cut up but still really good. imagine taking all the skiers and jamming them into using only 4 points and BC lift. Well, yep... SH*tShow :).

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just made reservations for a hotel in Steamboat for the end of the month for Marcia, Feebee, Ellobruce and me - two us look forward to skiing beginning on the 26th

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Just made reservations for a hotel in Steamboat for the end of the month for Marcia, Feebee, Ellobruce and me - two us look forward to skiing beginning on the 26th
I look forward to skiing with the dogs....... :).

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Steamboat was a bit of a cluster F*ck today. Im not sure of the whole story, but the sundown lift was shutdown so I dont know what they did with the 1st tracks people but they delayed the general population and held them at the top the Gondi until 9. We took the Christy to Thunderhead lift. We know how to circumvent that so we skied down to the BC lift down through some incredible untracked pow, We were told the Storm peak lift was also shut down. There were about 50 of us waiting for the lifts to spin, snow still dumping. At 9, we heard a huge "yay" sound of hundreds of skiers dropping down from the Gondi. It was hysterical, no one told them Storm peak and 4 Points lifts were not spinning, so they anyone who skied down past BC lift got stuck at Storm peak. 4 points opened a few minutes later. We took BC up and skied down under the lift Thats a great bump run usually with large bumps on a good pitch We were about the 15th person down and some much snow blew in there were no visible bumps. It was crazy good! Headed up 4 points and hit Hurricane which gets overlooked on powder days. Yep, there had been maybe 10 people down it. The Wildcats just ripped it!

But, that was about it for the day! The hoards had hovered up every flake of powder. :). Hearing about the uncertainty of Storm Peak and Sundown , we moved to the lower mountain and lapped Teds, Oops and Vertigo which were cut up but still really good. 5 minute lift lines at Thunderhead.

This storm was not a "Steamboat Surprise". It was forecasted well in advance so the shitshow was expected I guess. Still, I am sure you got some awesome runs!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
This storm was not a "Steamboat Surprise". It was forecasted well in advance so the shitshow was expected I guess. Still, I am sure you got some awesome runs!
it was due to lifts being down and the decision to redirect 1st Tracks and then not opening the access to the upper mountain at 8:30 as usual. But I dont have all the facts, I can only tell you what I saw.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Ron , boot issues solved for the time being with demo gear. My daughter will need new boots long term. They fit fine during pre-trip try on, but too tight for full day of skiing on her calves and Loosening the buckles left them too loose to stay latched.

we’ll definitely hit Ohana’s, we were in that area last night but missed it.
Slope side our kids liked Creekside Teeze, the owner (Bob) is quite talkative about skiing.

Standard stuff but a pretty good selection.

Last edited:

Eagle93

Putting on skis
Skier
The morning yesterday was kind of a zoo. They got Sundown Express opened up around 11:30 and we had some very nice laps in Sunshine trees and finished they day with a run down Shadows… should have done that sooner, it was all packed powder, but the time we got there. Lots of fresh powder in Sunshine, including some waist deep in the trees between Hogh Noon and Rolex. Had to dig the kids out a couple of times, lol!

Heading back up today for our last day in town. We hit the road home at 8am tomorrow morning. Great trip all in all.

Attachments

• CF178B97-A71B-426B-B655-6692F3D8BE4A.jpeg
    CF178B97-A71B-426B-B655-6692F3D8BE4A.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 19
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
ahh,. I'm glad the coverage was good in there, its can be a very dangerous area if the snow isn't deep enough. There's a section in the middle thats drops suddenly as well as a lot of downed trees in there. Im assuming you were in the lower section just to the right where it opens up?

Eagle93

Putting on skis
Skier
@Ron where is the “Olympian Trail”? We’ve been unsuccessful in finding it. Near Flintlock?

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
yes, its really not anything of note, its simply the tree section to the right after you come down the headwall. low angle, open trees.

Eagle93

Putting on skis
Skier
We started from High Noon right near Rendevous and cut in. Very deep, at least 3 feet of mostly light powder.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
that section is called, "the land of little people" because of the tight and steep sections in there. I normally dont go in until there's a lot more snow but obviously, enough snow got blown in. Just be careful! Soooo easy to hit a downed pine in there and break your tib/fibs. that pic you posted def' was not taken in there. :)

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Funny you should say that because we noticed how much more wind issues and heavier snow we have had over the past couple of years. In an article in our local paper, the Mountains' spokesperson claimed that our lift closures were due to our lifts not being designed for heavier snow LOLOLOL.

"Because Steamboat is used to dry powder, the resort’s lifts are not built for ice and wet snow, Duke said. As crews scraped off ice before opening the lifts Thursday, more ice fell, making it nearly impossible to open the lifts on time."

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The morning yesterday was kind of a zoo. They got Sundown Express opened up around 11:30 and we had some very nice laps in Sunshine trees and finished they day with a run down Shadows… should have done that sooner, it was all packed powder, but the time we got there. Lots of fresh powder in Sunshine, including some waist deep in the trees between Hogh Noon and Rolex. Had to dig the kids out a couple of times, lol!

Heading back up today for our last day in town. We hit the road home at 8am tomorrow morning. Great trip all in all.
you flying out to Mn or driving?

Lots of highway closures. I'm in Cheyenne, typically head down via Medicine Bow, Walden, Rabbit Ears but I80 is closed over the pass to Laramie

I 70 has some closures too.

I anticipate i70 will clear up and be open, I80 not till later so I got a flip of coin to wait, tool around local museums and Arboretum and doing Laramie later ... or hit Denver and then i70 later tonight ...

Anyhow, @Eagle93 , if driving check the cotrip.org and wyoroad.info

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
"Buffalo Pass north of Steamboat received 7.6" of snow-water-equivalent from this storm system (1/4-1/7). Conservatively, a 10:1 ratio suggests at least 76 inches of total snowfall. That's over 6 feet."

Steamboat:

The ski area officially picked up 21" in 48-hours but with the strong wind, the resort was reporting drifts of of up to 3 ft yesterday. They had to dig the Champagne Powder stake out yesterday. From Steamboat Resort FB: "To quote one of our tenured lift mechanics "today was one of the top 3 hardest days in 30 years". Our teams were grooming trails last night only for them to be covered right afterward by 2 foot snowdrifts. Upper mountain lifts were extremely challenging and dangerous for our teams to access in white out conditions caused by high winds and drifting snow."

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 2.09.22 PM.png

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
yep. Like I posted above, it was a crazy bizarre day. I have never been in the trees and had such diminished visibility. Couple that, and staff shortages, they did a great job keeping things as well as they did. :thumb:

I did hear that the Sunshine lift's engine blew and they are still trying to find a replacement. According to the patroller, they had no idea when it would be back up running. Friday AM, we were also told by a patroller, that they hadn't got a crew up to Thunderhead early enough to clear it out and prep the area. I feel for these folks. they are doing their best.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yahoo, in the boat officially!

kids and I will give it a try tomorrow, above comments really great. We'll likely do the normal ... easy peasy get ski legs going runs and take it easy, call it early, hot tub, etc ...

Eagle93

Putting on skis
Skier
you flying out to Mn or driving?

Lots of highway closures. I'm in Cheyenne, typically head down via Medicine Bow, Walden, Rabbit Ears but I80 is closed over the pass to Laramie

I 70 has some closures too.

I anticipate i70 will clear up and be open, I80 not till later so I got a flip of coin to wait, tool around local museums and Arboretum and doing Laramie later ... or hit Denver and then i70 later tonight ...

Anyhow, @Eagle93 , if driving check the cotrip.org and wyoroad.info

We drove, left about 8:30am after grabbing coffee and breakfast sandwiches at “Burlap & Berry” which was excellent, btw. Rabbit Ears was terrible from a visibility perspective, but traction was fine. The road from Walden up to Cheyenne was rough as well. Had to slow down and alternate traffic in one spot where 3-4 big tow trucks were trying to extract a semi on his side and stop another time while a vehicle was extracted higher up. Slow going and added about 2 hours to our day, but otherwise we had no issues, thankfully.

Sponsor

Staff online