• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2021-2022 Steamboat Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
yeah, Rabbit Ears is far more dangerous than people understand, Glad you made it up safe and sound. The powder has been pretty fantastic. the "Surprise" 8" storm was awesome treating us with a lot of really light and deep wind load and today the leftovers, especially off of Storm Peak were light and soft. Ripped a few fast groomers today and some really great soft powdery bumps too!

Eagle93

Putting on skis
Skier
Posted a trip report for anyone browsing this thread that may be interested.

kentuckyskier

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
How have lift lines been in Steamboat this year? I've been reading about some issues in Park City and some resorts in Colorado.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
How have lift lines been in Steamboat this year? I've been reading about some issues in Park City and some resorts in Colorado.

pretty typical. Sunshine area is always the most crowded, at peak, 15-20 minutes or so. At the base, if its a powder day, Thursday-Monday, it can be a long wait but use the Christy chair to Thunderhead. Most tourists don't come out until 10-10:30 on non-powder days.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a really nice day at Steamboat today 1/18/2022. Fair skies, low crowds, and good skiing!
L-R: @Ron , @aveski , moi
ron avram jim.jpg

I didn't have my photography A-game today, but Ron sure had his mountain guide A-game and gave a great morning tour of Steamboat. He was skiing beautifully!
ron steamboat.jpg

I didn't realize @aveski had a visit coinciding with mine until this morning. It was great to see him! Last time we skied together was mid-March 2020 just before the world shut down.
avram steamboat.jpg

Buddy's Run, I think.
avram ron .jpg

Nice Ski Talk sticker placement (upper left). We didn't put it there, but got a kick out of spotting it.
ski talk sticker at steamboat.jpg

I had an outdoor picnic at this scenic lunch spot. Not a breath of wind, blue skies, and about 25-30 degs. If you can't have fresh snow, this was the next best thing.
lunch spot.jpg

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
that was so much fun, I think we will do it again tomorrow! great day of skiing, thanks!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I had another good day of skiing at Steamboat with @Ron and @aveski on 1/19/22.
View attachment 155921
It was a day of mixed visibility, but Ron kept us in the clear. Trail surfaces were excellent and there seemed to be an inch or two of new snow on the highest parts of the mtn. We saw occasional light snowfall during the morning.
View attachment 155922

This is Ron getting his carve on. Very few people on the slopes today. No lift lines to speak of.
View attachment 155923
Lots of elbow room for @aveski
View attachment 155924

Not my best action shot of Ron, but this guy's ski gear and apparel is impeccable. When he talks hard and soft goods on Ski Talk you should listen up because he knows his stuff.
View attachment 155925
The obligatory Steamboat Gondola shot:
View attachment 155927

Ron also recommended I try Hypnotic Chicken, a fast food restaurant in the town of Steamboat Springs. Good stuff - I can attest.
View attachment 155926
And they had Baltimore Blonde!

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had another good day of skiing at Steamboat with @Ron and @aveski on 1/19/22.
View attachment 155921
It was a day of mixed visibility, but Ron kept us in the clear. Trail surfaces were excellent and there seemed to be an inch or two of new snow on the highest parts of the mtn. We saw occasional light snowfall during the morning.
View attachment 155922

This is Ron getting his carve on. Very few people on the slopes today. No lift lines to speak of.
View attachment 155923
Lots of elbow room for @aveski
View attachment 155924

Not my best action shot of Ron, but this guy's ski gear and apparel is impeccable. When he talks hard and soft goods on Ski Talk you should listen up because he knows his stuff.
View attachment 155925
The obligatory Steamboat Gondola shot:
View attachment 155927

Ron also recommended I try Hypnotic Chicken, a fast food restaurant in the town of Steamboat Springs. Good stuff - I can attest.
View attachment 155926
Get those nasty pickles off my french fries.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
their pickles pair so well with the chicken tenders. :). Their chicken is addictive.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Closed out a fine three day visit to Steamboat on 1/20/22. It was a baby powder day with about 3-4" new snow on the upper mountain (more expected today). I was joined by @aveski and @Ron again.

Talk about an ego boost - go ski Steamboat on a baby powder day!
ave ego boost.jpg

Ave took this one of me. Midweek in January after MLK day is the bomb at Steamboat, very light trail traffic.
jim ski.jpg

Ron surveying his private glades in Wally World
ron wally world.jpg

They get some tree wells at Steamboat that you have to watch out for, but snowpack is not deep enough to be much of a hazard - yet.
tree wells.jpg

Every once in a while I get a good shot. This one of @aveski came straight out of the camera/phone unretouched except for a little color boost.
ave pow.jpg

I drove 330 miles from Steamboat to SLC yesterday evening. This is US 40 about 100 miles west of Steamboat, where the roadkill outnumbers the motor vehicles. Nice clear roads for my drive, very important.
us 40 west of steamboat.jpg

Thanks again @Ron for your hospitality. It's people like you that make Steamboat one of the most welcoming ski resorts in the USA.

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Thanks Jim. Had a great time. But, you should have stayed one more day. :). 8+ in the trees between yesterday and today. very few people in the trees today. Made for continuous tree laps. A little crunchy underneath still but very skiable.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Jim. Had a great time. But, you should have stayed one more day. :). 8+ in the trees between yesterday and today. very few people in the trees today. Made for continuous tree laps. A little crunchy underneath still but very skiable.
To the local belong the spoils.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Marcia and I finally made it to Steamboat after an unexpected overnight stay in Kansas due a closed Interstate 70. We skied today with @Ron who gave us an excellent tour while cruising the groomers. It was a cold day, but it was a dry Rocky Mountain type of cold, not a raw, moist chill you to the bone New England type of cold. We might not get the opportunity to try the world famous RonCon coffee, but that just gives us a reason to visit again in the future.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I feel I have let you down by not having a nice 6" dump of snow last night. :).

edited to clarify snow and not something else.

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
if really wanting to imply the other, well, there's an emoji .. .:poo:

maybe there needs to be a snow emoji!?

hoping a buddy does decide to trip out to the boat next month or early March for a bit ...

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid