• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How are residential property taxes calculated in Utah?
Residential properties that serve as someone’s primary residence receive an exemption of 45% of fair market value. As a result the primary residence is only assessed and taxed based on the remaining 55% of its fair market value.

What is the exemption for second home in Utah?
On the other hand, the taxable value of a second residence or an unoccupied residential property would be equal to 100% of fair market value. Residential properties that serve as someone’s primary residence receive an exemption of 45% of fair market value.

Residential Property - Utah Property Taxes
propertytax.utah.gov/real/locally-assessed/residential/

In Utah an owner of a home that is not claimed as a primary residence pays about 45% more property tax than if the same property was listed as a primary residence. Commercial property owners also typically pay tax on 100% of the tax assessed value.
I'm going to access tax records for some of the homes I know are not occupied full-time to see if that's how they're being assessed. I don't have a lot of faith that that is what is actually occurring. In fact, I KNOW it's not--from personal experience and I'll just leave it at that.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Utah Avalanche Center 14th annual Utah Snow and Avalanche Workshop is virtual this year. It is inexpensive and easy to access. It is an excellent source of information and stoke for the upcoming season. Highly recommended

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
More on Wasatch Peaks…

I am not for or against a project like this but it seems every time a planning commission says something will benefit our tax base it only increases the old-timers property taxes and drives them out.
The approximate finished home cost will be $20 million, including club membership. It will certainly grow the tax base. As far as whether it would affect assessments for existing housing, it would be audacious and unlikely. Not that those forces aren't in place from other sales. The ski base is low altitude but the upper reaches are around 10k. I've been promised a ski tour this winter.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm going to access tax records for some of the homes I know are not occupied full-time to see if that's how they're being assessed. I don't have a lot of faith that that is what is actually occurring. In fact, I KNOW it's not--from personal experience and I'll just leave it at that.
I’m sure you can find plenty of people who are finding ways to avoid it. Creative tax avoidance is not uncommon.

The issue is not whether the residence is being occupied full time, it is whether it is your “primary“ residence. A person should only have 1 primary residence. If you split your time between two residences you can chose one as primary.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Well done on scoring a promise for a ski tour. I suspect access to the mountain will be highly restricted to members and prospective home owners.
They must need some experienced patrollers ogsmile

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
The approximate finished home cost will be $20 million, including club membership. It will certainly grow the tax base. As far as whether it would affect assessments for existing housing, it would be audacious and unlikely. Not that those forces aren't in place from other sales. The ski base is low altitude but the upper reaches are around 10k. I've been promised a ski tour this winter.
Please report after your ski tour. I'm curious to hear what the skiing is like.

While people may not ge happy about this high end community, I do think it certainly wouldn't have an impact on property taxes. The people buying these homes/mansions will be paying property taxes without using up much in the way of city services such as schools, etc.

If you want to talk about frustration on property taxes, Heber City has been undergoing huge growth and until very recently had to actually keep raising property taxes to support the growth because they needed to build new schools and other infrastructure to support it. Talk about frustrating. The growth there and resulting higher tax base wasn't even paying for itself because the needed cost of infrastructure was outpacing it until recently.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They must need some experienced patrollers ogsmile
Or instructors. That's some pretty incredible terrain up there.

That mountain is the view from my neighborhood (and Snowbasin.) I'm not thrilled about the lights up there at night now, and there aren't that many...yet. Morgan County has a dark sky ordnance and I don't think anyone follows it.

As for taxes--if someone has a residence in two states, who would even know? Sorry, I'm a little jaded about the fact that numerous homes around me have sold for stupidly inflated prices to people who don't even live in them, while I can't afford to buy one at all. Many have sold to people who are building at WPR and will live in them during winter only.

4ster

Instructor
As for taxes--if someone has a residence in two states, who would even know?
You talkin' to me? ;)
I have homes in 2 states & Utah has been my primary for 20 years. I have only had my out of state residence for a few years & I still spend the majority of my time in Utah. I pay the Primary tax rate on my Utah home but I pay 100% on a lot I also own in Utah. When I bought my first condo in Utah it was my first time owning & I was not aware of the tax laws. For a number of years I was paying the Non-Primary (NP) 100% rate on what was my primary & only residence. When I realized the error I went to the commission where according to their attorney they were only required to refund me 1 year of overpayment. Even though they admitted that I was in the right, they basically said “FU we don’t have to legally pay you, so we are not”. That still irks me 15 years later :nono:! I don’t mind paying my fair share but I really HATE being ripped off!

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You talkin' to me? ;)
I have homes in 2 states & Utah has been my primary for 20 years. I have only had my out of state residence for a few years & I still spend the majority of my time in Utah. I pay the Primary tax rate on my Utah home but I pay 100% on a lot I also own in Utah. When I bought my first condo in Utah it was my first time owning & I was not aware of the tax laws. For a number of years I was paying the Non-Primary (NP) 100% rate on what was my primary & only residence. When I realized the error I went to the commission where according to their attorney they were only required to refund me 1 year of overpayment. Even though they admitted that I was in the right, they basically said “FU we don’t have to legally pay you, so we are not”. That still irks me 15 years later :nono:! I don’t mind paying my fair share but I really HATE being ripped off!
Yeah that’s how they do it, sorry to say. Idaho does the same thing.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Sorry, I'm a little jaded about the fact that numerous homes around me have sold for stupidly inflated prices to people who don't even live in them, while I can't afford to buy one at all.

But you get to live and bike and ski in Utah while those 2nd homeowners are slogging it out in NYC or Washington DC grinding it out, potentially in a high pressure cooker job. I've done both Amy, and you can probably guess which one is way better.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
But you get to live and bike and ski in Utah while those 2nd homeowners are slogging it out in NYC or Washington DC grinding it out, potentially in a high pressure cooker job. I've done both Amy, and you can probably guess which one is way better.
I spent 20 years living where the Air Force told my family we'd go. I know all too well what it's like to live in places that are not as desirable (at least for the lifestyle I prefer.) Not being able to afford a home here now is really unsettling.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I spent 20 years living where the Air Force told my family we'd go. I know all too well what it's like to live in places that are not as desirable (at least for the lifestyle I prefer.) Not being able to afford a home here now is really unsettling.
Air Force bases are usually in pretty decent places. Marine Corps bases much less so.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Air Force bases are usually in pretty decent places. Marine Corps bases much less so.
I'd argue that. Holloman vs. Camp Pendleton would be an example. Minot, Scott, I could name several AFB I would not want to be stationed at and I certainly did not love living in Dayton. There are crappy bases for all the services. Either way, none of the bases we were sent to were places I would choose to live (which was part of the fun of it, I suppose.) Tried for Hill every single move, denied every single time. Fairchild would have been great, but was never an option.

TS
P-Ute

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier

4ster

Instructor
Getting back to skiing now.

Ran across a website I was not familiar with this morning,
Utah Lost Ski Area Project. Utah Lost Ski Area Project (wordpress.com)

Some interesting information and vintage pictures.
I never knew that Deer Valley predates Park City by more then 25 years. Deer Valley – Utah Lost Ski Area Project (wordpress.com)
That's pretty cool! I new about Ecker jump hill from some of the old timers I met when I first worked at Snowbasin who actually jumped there. I did not know about the Huntsville rope tow.

I have also heard about a ski lift on Durst Mt. which may be what the site calls "Brushy Canyon", at least Durst is above & east of Mountain Green? Another one I have heard tales of was on the hill to the right just as you pass through Wolf Creek GC on the way to Powder Mountain. I didn't find any reference on the site though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online