• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
Sunday was surprisingly light on crowds at Snowbasin, it actually felt more crowded on the previous Tuesday we were there for an industry show. We did run into @AmyPJ but we were skiing with Henri Rivers, Ellen Miller, Mark Williams and Lauren Samuels and a few others from the NBS community.
Can't believe I missed y'all. Was there from 9 to 1145 AM.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Surprise few inches overnight. I washed my car yesterday. You’re welcome. I didn’t want to leave.

I have yet to ski powder this year. Except once and it was gone in one run. It’s been a shitter of a season so far. A 40 inch base does not beg me to venture off piste much.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Surprise few inches overnight. I washed my car yesterday. You’re welcome. I didn’t want to leave.

I have yet to ski powder this year. Except once and it was gone in one run. It’s been a shitter of a season so far. A 40 inch base does not beg me to venture off piste much.
Well I got 5 days of skiing in so far this year- that's my record for the last few years. But the good thing is that it's all in West Virginia and Virginia- you wanna talk about powder days- boy have we got that market cornered.... :doh:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I washed my car yesterday. You’re welcome. I didn’t want to leave.
I washed my car yesterday too & you’re also welcome ;).

I skied PM today just cuz the low angle seems to ski better when it’s only a couple inches. It was pretty cold with an East wind chill but soooo good! Skied from 9-3 & still finding freshies…

Last run
0D7A24E4-4FC8-483A-BC76-6A0089C71563.jpeg

Earlier
B3B469B4-47AA-4C4D-856E-57C729C5DA25.jpeg

Looking back from Paradise (can you see the tracks :) )
ADC40694-7B2D-47B8-8861-3FFC52906A8C.jpeg

A 40 inch base does not beg me to venture off piste much.
I have been skiing all month mostly off piste & have yet to more than graze a rock. I agree that 40” is way below prime for Snowbasin but the way the wind has plastered the snow in, coverage is really good below the ridges.
I did blow an edge out skiing Kirkwood Christmas week after it had just snowed 200” :rolleyes:

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks to both @AmyPJ and @4ster

I skied Snowbasin this morning from 9:00-10:40 (too bad about work obligations) and it skied really nicely also. Six rides up John Paul and each were really enjoyable. I didn't hit anything aside from a tiny branch (and haven't for weeks). The Jungle, Hollywood and Men's Downhill all skied better and deeper than the 2" reported--at least on the upper 2/3rds of the mountain. The wind had redeposited more snow on some aspects. Staying centered on the skis and using a light touch seemed to be the ticket to enjoyment today. I avoided anything groomed until down near the bottom of Porky, Crowds were very light on JP. Maybe most of the early risers headed over to Strawberry?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Good day at Solitude too, 25 Jan 2022. I was there from 9am to 215pm. Not too crowded. Nice 2-3 new inches to play with. I just arrived last week for a long stay in Utah and I'm going to do a mini trip report in a separate post to document for others my first attempt to visit Solitude. It was a relatively normal/quiet weekday and it was a big success. Small crowds, free parking on Big Cottonwood Rd that was close enough not too excessively tire a geezer. soli boarder 25 jan 2022.jpg

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I'll be in Park City, skiing Deer Valley next week.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good shop for tuning skis there? Needs to be overnight service... preferably close to Deer Valley. On mountain would be best (either at Silver lake/Mariposa area or Snow Park). Planning on 1/3 for my Fischer 86 GT. They have the 'factory tune' and have been skied 6 days. To my eye the base looked flat and they skied fine in soft snow. Could do with a bit more grip for really firm. Would like to get them to 'better than factory tune.'

Edit: Looks like Jans would be good option?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
If I'm in Park City, I use these guys. Nice, small shop. Good group of techs. Generally able to help on the spot.

Otherwise if not in Park City, I use LiftHouse or Powderhouse. The lifthouse guys know nuanced stuff. For example, my Rossi Black Op 98s are best tuned with a detune at 2inches bottom and top and they knew that without telling them. Refreshing.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I see another snow forecast has fizzled out.
Yes. When do we start getting concerned (once again) about our water supply?
Despite the low snowpack, the snow is holding up really well. Yesterday on Strawberry side was just fantastic. The cooler temps both day and night are helping.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. When do we start getting concerned (once again) about our water supply?

I saw the official Ski Utah Instagram account make light of this month by playing off the #DryJanuary hashtag. Seems fitting.

Your comment about how the snowpack is decent right now is definitely on the mark. The snowpack has consolidated to a firm and workable base, unlike last season. Sure, it's not the dreamy, seemingly bottomless base of Utah legend but it works. I've skied Snowbasin and Park City over the past few weeks - places not known for getting super deep bases due to their comparatively low elevation and their locations on the Wasatch Back - and haven't really found many rocks or bare patches. When I was at Park City on Sunday I was skiing primarily all-natural snow runs off of Pioneer and Jupiter and didn't even come close to hitting rocks (or stumps in the trees) - really great! Didn't hit any rocks at Snowbasin, either, though I didn't stray as far off the beaten path there as I did at PC.

That said: this snowpack can't stay in total stasis forever. The high pressure that is parked off the California coast needs to move in order to open up the floodgates for significant precipitation. I don't see that happening for another week, at least.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Damn you! I am coming to the Cottonwoods Presidents’ Day, now I know who to blame if it doesn’t snow then entire 9 dayes!
Can't you counter this hex by acquiring some Volkl Deacons in the mid 70's under foot and only bring those skis with you? The universe should accept that sacrifice.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't you counter this hex by acquiring some Volkl Deacons in the mid 70's under foot and only bring those skis with you? The universe should accept that sacrifice.
ok, I’ll bring my Firebird Race Ti (full camber, 70mm), that should do it haha!
Actually, if it wasn’t for the weight limit by the airline, I would bring them, they would be super fun hitting big Wester groomer laps. They like speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January