• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m remembering a day when we did that. It was snowing there was untracked and partially tracked everywhere and few other skiers around. There were no masks, no IKON and no reservations. We lapped some pretty sweet lines. Did that happen or am I dreaming?

Yup, it happened. Good times. Wasn't a dream.

skifishbum

Getting off the lift
Skier

80 percent favor another option or no change. Every reputable poll i have seen shows a significant majority do not want the gondola. I don't know who your source at UDOT is but it is abundantly clear from polling, community activists, etc that the gondola is very unpopular amongst Utahns. Now how about you go ask your source at UDOT where they get their information.
well looks my bro source has spoken and left his number so you can call him with your poll numbers and displeasure
poundkeykilltheredsnake

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sadly there is no ideal solution to either LCC or BCC access that doesn't involve a lot of compromise.

Simply allowing single/low occupancy vehicles unfettered access is not sustainable. But "because freedom" (sic) is The Utah Way® and thus any thought of limiting private vehicle access is immediately off the table. Sure, there can be tollbooths and a fee system, but that'll be another "because freedom" victim, at least in the short term.

Increasing bus service (especially with an all-electric fleet) would be great in concert with severely restricting (or altogether eliminating) private vehicle access. The big challenges here are funding (UTA doesn't get nearly enough money to make this work and the resort owners aren't keen to pony up funds to subsidize this kind of operation) and the "because freedom" canard mentioned above.

Widening roads never actually leads to traffic relief (read up on the concept of induced demand if you doubt this), and in this case it would likely be an environmental catastrophe to the Wasatch watershed. Combined with the cost (for which the estimates floated by UDOT are likely half of what they'd eventually be) and it's a nonstarter.

The gondola is a compromise, pure and simple. Gondola and funicular systems work really well in Europe as ways to connect mountain towns and resorts, but most work in concert with restricted private vehicle access (e.g. Saas Fee and Zermatt). I realize that this gondola project will be used along with increased UTA service, possible resort-funded bus service, and the possibility of access fees for private vehicles.

Is it perfect? No. But it's better than the status quo.

And UDOT is now in the initial phases of figuring out a BCC solution.

One thing that was suggested many years ago (and then scrapped) was a subway system connecting Park City, Brighton, and Alta, using many of the existing mining tunnel networks as a base for routing. This system makes a lot of sense in terms of environmental impact, aesthetics, and the like, but it would be very pricey to build (e.g. eminent domain to acquire tunnel infra, boring tunnels wide enough to handle modern subway stock, and waterproofing the tunnels). That said, I do wish UDOT would consider this option moving forward. Park City as an inter-canyon transit hub makes a lot of sense given the existing infrastructure there now (that will need improvement anyway due to PCMR and DV's capacity issues and the ever-growing Park City/Snyderville/Hideout/Kamas area).

Just my $0.02 - YMMV.

well looks my bro source has spoken and left his number so you can call him with your poll numbers and displeasure
poundkeykilltheredsnake

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
poundkeykilltheredsnake
Believe me plenty will be voicing displeasure during the comment period. Most Utahns did not want either final option presented by UDOT. The fight is far from over. First, the gondola is a ways off, secondly they don't have the funding yet, and thirdly there are some politicians and mayors vocally opposing. And lawsuits over the decision will be coming. This is going to be a drawn out fight.

Edit: here is a blurb from a Salt Lake Tribune article today.

The Salt Lake County Council is considering its options to prevent the gondola based on its authority over roads involved in the process, as the majority of councilmembers disagree with UDOT’s plan, Wilson said.
They also plan to meet with legislators, although Wilson doesn’t believe the plan has enough support to be funded since there are more critical needs elsewhere.
“I want to emphasize that this problem is maybe 15 days a year, perhaps 20. With a 365 day calendar that we can love and enjoy the canyon, this level of cost is excessive,” Wilson said. “This isn’t just about the emotion some of us have around this issue. This is about bottom line cost, and it’s also about investing in something that will work.”

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Believe me plenty will be voicing displeasure during the comment period. Most Utahns did not want either final option presented by UDOT. The fight is far from over. First, the gondola is a ways off, secondly they don't have the funding yet, and thirdly there are some politicians and mayors vocally opposing. And lawsuits over the decision will be coming. This is going to be a drawn out fight.

Meanwhile the watershed will be pummeled, skier traffic will continue to snarl the road and pollute the air, and things will get exponentially worse.

Sad days for the Wasatch.

Reactions: tch

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Meanwhile the watershed will be pummeled, skier traffic will continue to snarl the road and pollute the air, and things will get exponentially worse.

Sad days for the Wasatch.
And climate change will continue to do its thing. I'm hoping bus service will be dramatically improve. It is sad to see what is happening to Salt Lake City and the Wasatch all around.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
SNOW in the forecast for next Monday/Tuesday! Probably nothing more than mood flakes but some models have shown a route for 6"+.

More importantly .5"-2" of rain across the entire state over the next week or so.

I just hope it stays dry this Saturday! The 5 Canyons Bike Challenge would be a real bear in the wet.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just hope it stays dry this Saturday! The 5 Canyons Bike Challenge would be a real bear in the wet.
Today presented participants with fairly close to ideal riding conditions: lots of clouds early on with variable amounts the remainder of the day, temperatures topping out in the mid 70s at the east bench elevation after an overnight low in the mid-to-high 50s, a few light sprinkles that amounted to virtually nothing, and light to non-existent winds. Not a participant, although have ridden all sections of the route a countless number of times - just not all in one go! During today's ride saw many participants and one of the event's sag wagons.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are up in Park City for the next few days.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
So why is one of the owners ,Elliot Bisnow, of PowMow selling his home at Powder?

I think this was one of, if not the first place built on that ridge.
I'm not sure but there have been rumors that the whole Summit thing has been re-structured. I believe he also owns/owned a house a few doors down from me in the Ogden Valley. There were always lots of cars there & people coming & going all the time. As far as I can tell no one has been there since last summer :huh:.

KansasTraverse

Booting up
Skier
I think this was one of, if not the first place built on that ridge.
I'm not sure but there have been rumors that the whole Summit thing has been re-structured. I believe he also owns/owned a house a few doors down from me in the Ogden Valley. There were always lots of cars there & people coming & going all the time. As far as I can tell no one has been there since last summer :huh:.
Thank you. Anything is possible during these times.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A cool $2million for 1 bed/1 bath.

Seems like they're not reading the room of the current real estate market with that price.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey Utahns....my bff and I are planning a trip to Alta next March, and we are curious whether there is a local store that sells discounted vouchers/lift tickets. Does anyone know? Once upon a time (and maybe still now) Sports Basement in SF used to sell discounted vouchers for some of the local Tahoe resorts. Anyway, neither of us got any of the multi-resort passes, and after doing some math, a late purchase of MC (or, upgrade on our local passes for Sugar Bowl) doesn't really pay out, either. I've scoured the Alta website for their pass products, so I have a good handle of the potential options there.

Thanks for any advice!! Feel free to PM me if you don't want to divulge your secrets. :)

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Hey Utahns....my bff and I are planning a trip to Alta next March, and we are curious whether there is a local store that sells discounted vouchers/lift tickets. Does anyone know? Once upon a time (and maybe still now) Sports Basement in SF used to sell discounted vouchers for some of the local Tahoe resorts. Anyway, neither of us got any of the multi-resort passes, and after doing some math, a late purchase of MC (or, upgrade on our local passes for Sugar Bowl) doesn't really pay out, either. I've scoured the Alta website for their pass products, so I have a good handle of the potential options there.

Thanks for any advice!! Feel free to PM me if you don't want to divulge your secrets. :)
I believe the Lifthouse at the bottom of the canyon still sells some discounted tickets. The savings aren't huge unfortunately but I guess it's something. Depending on how many days you are skiing in Utah you may have to suck it up and get Mountain Collective or Ikon pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online