• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2022-2023 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Shouldn't "afternoon meeting" be in quotes when you're talking about skiing like that? :D
No IKON, so no Eldora for me this year. I've got Copper and A-basin passes, which does mean I have six days at Taos, Mr. Gathermeister, sir. ;)

My meeting was today, anyway. I got out of Boulder just as it started dumping.

PXL_20221117_213132540.jpg

PXL_20221117_213151792.jpg

Pro-tip for CU parents: teach your kid how to switch the Jeep to four-wheel drive before it snows. This poor girl was on the phone, I'm betting with her Dad, as she was stuck on the Broadway hill going up to campus. :(

PXL_20221117_213431938.jpg

Tire brag: I was in 2WD with my studded Hakkas and never slipped.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The storm delivered as forecast at WP and Eldora.

1668790589254.png

I was wrong. Eldora opened a week early last Friday. Good for Eldora!

It looks like onthesnow.com doesn't have "acres open" like in previous years. Acres better represents the terrain available than lifts and trails. Has anyone acres in a snow report this season?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The storm delivered as forecast at WP and Eldora.

View attachment 183372

I was wrong. Eldora opened a week early last Friday. Good for Eldora!

It looks like onthesnow.com doesn't have "acres open" like in previous years. Acres better represents the terrain available than lifts and trails. Has anyone acres in a snow report this season?
Ski central reports acres if you click on the full reports:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Thanks! That confirms Epic is kicking the crap out of IKON in early season acres open. Unfortunately, you can't put it into a list to easily post.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Thanks! That confirms Epic is kicking the crap out of IKON in early season acres open. Unfortunately, you can't put it into a list to easily post.
Yeah... Copper doesn't have acres listed, but Steamboat is closed, and Winter Park only has 60 acres open. The Breck, Keystone, Vail grouping has a lot more. And BC opens soon.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Copper is listing 6% open, so doing the math, that's 146 of 2433 skiable acres, somehow beating the other IKON resorts in spite of training taking up most of the terrain. A-basin has 68 acres open, Winter Park 60, and Eldora 55. :(

For Epic, Vail has 238, Breck 186, and Keystone 149. Vail's snowmaking upgrades seem to be making a huge difference compared to a few years back. :thumb:

Loveland is doing great with 121 acres.

Props to Wolf Creek's 1440 acres open. :ogbiggrin:

Edit: that's what's being reported, and there, of course, could be data issues.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Forecast for the next 1-2 weeks looks hella dry. So no chance of a 2010-2011 season repeat. We live in another era of climate now it seems. No going back. :(

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To me, it's about more than the numbers. You have to have skied it, and know what it means that way, to you and your skiing:
Copper's "acres" are full of racers doing laps when they aren't with coaches -
couple of hundred of them on any given day, at least, in rotation from all over, until early December.
Only way Copper keeps up is if there were "acres" open to "common folk" that are now reserved for racers/coaches and "racers/coaches only" laps.

Vail's runs are shorter, but so many more of them, and less crowded, I'd bet, for now, except dunno on weekends.

Breck versus Keystone? Depends on the skier and preferences.
That's also experience, but a bit subjective: do you like a few runs short and steep above the trees? These are often good.
Or lots of almost flat terrain pretending to be ski runs? Much of the area exposed to wind and at times featureless?
With a longer, bus/gondola approach, and pay lot? (whether paying now or not?) (Breck at the moment.)

Or do you like, for now, fewer runs but with twice the vertical, and more "in between" terrain? And protected by trees, with better visibility?
And a drop dead easy approach to the actual mountain? (Keystone, at the moment.)

In some ways, these two areas must be a bit of a toss up.

(P.S. Keystone has opened more - space and runs almost doubled - since Wednesday.) :)

Demo Day tomorrow. :golfclap:

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Vail's snowmaking upgrades seem to be making a huge difference compared to a few years back. :thumb:
The snowmaking helps but don't buy into the marketing too much... Zot, cappuccino, Christmas, power line, whistle pig, over easy and Slifer are all open despite having ZERO snowmaking coverage. The primary factors in opening terrain in Colorado are weather and desire (will to staff, willing to open with low base, etc.) Lets hope the good weather continues.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The snowmaking helps but don't buy into the marketing too much... Zot, cappuccino, Christmas, power line, whistle pig, over easy and Slifer are all open despite having ZERO snowmaking coverage. The primary factors in opening terrain in Colorado are weather and desire (will to staff, willing to open with low base, etc.) Lets hope the good weather continues.
Thanks for the insight. Adding to your list, summer grooming of the slope to remove rocks and stumps makes a huge difference, and the front side of Vail is pretty smooth.

Copper's "acres" are full of racers doing laps when they aren't with coaches -
couple of hundred of them on any given day, at least, in rotation from all over, until early December.
Only way Copper keeps up is if there were "acres" open to "common folk" that are now reserved for racers/coaches and "racers/coaches only" laps.
My sentiments as well. Thanks for all the on-snow reports and comparisons. They are super helpful.

As for Copper, I always wait until either 1) they have bump run open where I can safely avoid racers, or 2) mid-Dec when the racers are gone, and all that great terrain on the east side opens to the public.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My options are not looking great if I wanted to ski today (Saturday).

1668883076733.jpeg abasincam1001m.jpeg

A-basin looks better than Copper, but they only have BMX open. No new Lenawee yet, and still no chairs on it:

download (2).jpeg

Great to see all the snow up there. :D

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
At A-Basin, per Al's blog, they have got the leader/sand lines up on the towers and will be pulling the cable onto Lewanee Express this week. They then will still have to do the splice, install the chairs/carriers, perform load test, and do any other punch-list/settings/bug-fix stuff. Realstically another 2-3 weeks out before they can get that lift open. At least they are preparing the upper mountain terrain and snowpack regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online