• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022-2023 "First to Open" in North America thread

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
2011.jpg

2012.jpg

2013.jpg

2014.jpg

2015.png

2016.jpg

2017.JPG

2018.jpg

2019.jpg

(no pic due to late covid opening)

2021.jpeg

2022.jpeg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Yep always the same. Havent had a great season since 2010-2011 (no pic?). That season A-Basin had a 100 in base in January I think. 100% open in December.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mammoth got a dusting but also cold enough temps to start blowing snow.

Unfortunately I don't see any natural snow in the near future.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
18 inches reported at both Solitude and Alta, with another 10-20 on the way in the next 36-48 hours.

The hardcores were earning their turns at Alta today. Looked... bony.

As we all know: Utah needs a lot more snow to spin lifts. Brighton may make a run for it as they usually do, but only if the 10-day forecast is showing consistently sub-freezing overnights. We shall see.

Booked for Summit County, CO, for early season race team camp in mid-November. One of those days is just free skiing for me. I'll need to decide where to go, having both Epic and Ikon as pass options (the race camp will be at Keystone and Breckenridge given my team trains at a VR property).

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Speaking of revenue-hungry greedy ski areas, :ogbiggrin: it looks like Copper is ready for race training up top. E-lift is spinning, and some lift ops are up there with shovels. I think Copper will (unofficially, per thread rules) beat A-basin with skiers on the hill tomorrow.

View attachment 180998

To correlate, my greedy-capitalist self checked my condo, and it's rented starting tonight with a ten-night stay. The racers are showing up. If anyone is thinking of real estate, I'm pretty sure Copper is the only ski area where you can get consistent revenue in Oct, Nov, and early Dec. :snow::snow::snow:

Copper Mountain has ski racers training starting today but is not open to the public until Nov 14th.

View attachment 181059

Copper has built up base for training for a very long time, PSIA or ski racing. Not sure how that is revenue-hungry as much as supporting those who want/need to get on snow.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Copper has built up base for training for a very long time, PSIA or ski racing. Not sure how that is revenue-hungry as much as supporting those who want/need to get on snow.
Copper could have opened to the public yesterday but opened for training camps and won't open to the public until November 14th.

They have built a great business around early season training that generates a sh*t-ton more revenue than if they were open to the public.

I"m all for it. As I mentioned, I benefit financially, and it's fantastic for the resort. But it does significantly degrade the experience for the average skier. With all the racers and limited terrain open to the public, it's the last place I'd suggest for a Thanksgiving family ski trip. But once racers are gone around mid-December, we all benefit from Copper's massive investment in snowmaking.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Honestly, indoor at a NJ mall for two hrs is about as good as that. Probably safer.

As somebody who partakes regularly in the so called WROD, maybe skip opening day, but it’s always great skiing. Every bit as fun as milking the last drop at end of season.

Loveland is a lot better because the green pitch holds up better, Loveland isn’t on Ikon, and the run is longer. But really what’s possibly wrong with your skis on snow, 15K of vert, and a beer?

A-Basin just re-offered me early season renewal price, and it’s so tempting. But honestly, if it wasn’t for the internet I can just forget about it until the snow really falls.

I also have tomorrow afternoon completely open.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
So who gets the Ring? A Basin or the 3 midwest hills (now closed I believe.) Vail gets Keystone cranked up next and Loveland

Anyway's on to the season. Looking at that collection of opening day shots, it appeared that there have been some other years with pretty minimal snow around too. Just my opinion but a 3rd year la nina fading late Feb, March and April - I think the back side of snow season will be much better then early part. Remember "Winter Forecasts" usually only cover December, January and February.

Meanwhile here in the east we are basking in the warmth so while we had some fun in this thread with the skiing in the Mall, I think I just might head down there Saturday morning for a couple off hours of "training"

James

Out There
Instructor
There should be two categories. Opening and staying open.

James

Out There
Instructor
Sounds good.
Even for first, there should be a minimum. Like 2 days open.

Sponsor