• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I first heard the term “Thundersnow” while driving to Utah 20+ years ago. It can be great skiing after the lightning holds end & usually leaves a quick layer of delicious graupel.

In the meantime, Snow is just beginning to stick in SLT. No thunder yet!
I remember experiencing it in the early 90's at Seven Springs in Pa. Strange.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Was looking that up and it seems to be an actual but rather rare weather phenomenon. ?Thunderstorm but with snow instead of rain?
Oh yeah. I know it's a thing, but I don't think I've seen Open Snow use it. Or even blizzard. I thought in the past they would just say WINDY or whatever, and let the reader figure out whether it was safe to drive, for instance. Anyway, it is currently very soggy in the Sacramento Valley!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Snowing & Blowing at the Heave. Creamy delight with mostly laps on Ridge run.
203B7654-4A58-4A28-B1E7-AAEC54B56158.jpeg

Agreed we need base. This will help where the wind blows it or the avalanches pile up.

Does anyone remember the big wet slide that came down west face and covered mountain run a few years ago?
I think it kept mountain run open an extra week when they spread the deposition down the trail.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Does anyone remember the big wet slide that came down west face and covered mountain run a few years ago?
I think it kept mountain run open an extra week when they spread the deposition down the trail.

Think I came down Mtn run about 10 mins after it had slid. Was interesting negotiating while keeping a very firm look uphill to see if anything else was moving.

Don4Fun

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We don't need pow, we need base!
As of 2:45pm, Mt. Rose reported 12-14 " new snow.
I think there is some moisture in this snow so far, at least at my house (5300 ft.) it seems that way and going to be dryer at nighttime.
Good for base building and the next storm Saturday/Sunday will help also. But that is just my opinion.

Last edited:

Don4Fun

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any Sugar Bowl mid-week skiers here besides me?
I'll check it out tomorrow.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
CDEC Caples Lake gauges near Kirkwood at 4:30pm are already showing 14 inches of snow so far with much more of the main first precipitation band yet to move through. NWS Reno already moving up totals with main storm pushing through sooner in a more complex triple whack scenario. Second phase is the AR from the south that ought do Mammoth and Kirkwood more followed by a rotating cold pool from the north. December now looking white white.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Translation: Current skiing is on Gold Coast & Mountain run. Not likely to add terrain (Shirley Lake etc) till Monday.
( But a beginner lift or 2 could open Fri or Sat in Tram area)

Don't count Resort Chair. Bad connections -if you ski down into Red Dog area you have to ride a bus back to Resort Chair base.
Resort Chair stays this way until they finish the new Red Dog lift.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online