• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another morning session at Mt. Rose: 9:30am to Noon. We missed the bibs that the first 300 got for the opening of Lakeview Express. Partly cloudy with some occasional gusts at the summit. Snow still skiing nicely on KC.

With both Northwest & Lakeview running, no lift lines anywhere. Straight to chair every time. However since both funnel into the catwalk above KC bowl, that area was always a zoo. The new green run - Lakeside - from the top of Lakeview to Around the World was not yet open. Once that's opened up, there should be less merging in to the cat track.

Lakeview Express:
View attachment 184044

The SkiTalk selfie with @Tricia @Philpug at the summit and then a couple of laps together, including the inviting Aidia's that turned out to be smooth and shark infested. :roflmao:Had to do it once though. :ogbiggrin:

View attachment 184045
Love those ”reborn” CB jackets - if only they took the color pallete and updated the jacket to be technical hard shells with helmet compatible hoods - it would get me to ditch my FlyLow Shell

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any body test Sugar Bowl yet?
I was there yesterday from 9 to 3. Firm and fast in the morning; I skied my SL skis, but my ski buddies were on various forms of wider touring/tele skis. There was cloud cover until around 10:30, at which point the best snow on the mountain seemed to be the groomed off Jerome Hill. It was a little shrubby in spots. Only Jerome Hill, Lincoln, and Christmas Tree (and Nob Hill) were spinning. The true off piste never softened up, or I missed the window. Top of Lake View started off groomed but then got bony/sharky. The bumps on the other blue run off Lincoln were skiing surprisingly well in the afternoon. Lower elevation terrain got mashed potatoey. No crowds.

ETA: if you are using last year's season pass media, head to the window first to double check that your renewal is properly associated with your pass; otherwise you'll wind up at the lift line with the awkward sad buzzing sound when you try to enter the gate. :)

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
I was at Northstar today on snow from 10:30 am to 1pm. I turned into Northstar Drive at 9:30am and was happy that Village Lot still had parking. Finally on snow after the shuttle, walk, and gondola to find petty much no waits worth mentioning in any chair line.

Comstock 6-pack:
PXL_20221127_182542721.jpg

However, the advertised "open" terrain is very misleading. If you take the new 6-pack to Mt. Pluto summit, you have East Ridge or West Ridge to choose. West Ridge -> Luggi's is the only groomer path back to the chair. All the rest of the upper mountain runs are ungroomed and with lots of shrubs/trees sticking out.

Examples of "open" ungroomed runs...

Upper Grouse Alley:
PXL_20221127_191716153.jpg

Delight:
PXL_20221127_183849068.jpg

Hey, there's Diamond Peak (viewed from the top of West Ridge):
PXL_20221127_191851487.jpg

West Ridge groomer was nice.... as long as you waited for an opening in the crowd:

Last edited:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Last season, they announced they would eventually become a private mountain, open to local and development residents only.
They said the traffic on 89 was stopping people from coming to ski Homewood. This is going to make it that much less visited.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Last season, they announced they would eventually become a private mountain, open to local and development residents only.
They said the traffic on 89 was stopping people from coming to ski Homewood. This is going to make it that much less visited.

Yeah Homewood used to be a cool little place for a day or two with a pretty low day rate if you showed a pass from elsewhere IIRC. Marginal revenue and all that. Not any more....

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah Homewood used to be a cool little place for a day or two with a pretty low day rate if you showed a pass from elsewhere IIRC. Marginal revenue and all that. Not any more....
Seems like they have few survival options, and this sounds like the best of the few. There's no way they could continue as before; probably a foreshadowing of similar low elevation resorts. Stay alive as long s you can, however you can. I can't begrudge them their choices.

LouD-Truckee

no drivel here....⛷️⛷️⛷️
Skier
Unless I'm missing something.... these are current day rates @HW..... Screenshot_20221127-190246.png Screenshot_20221127-190246.png Screenshot_20221127-190356.png Screenshot_20221127-190407.png

Don4Fun

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, they changed some names. Lone Tree actually makes sense since there's a single tree at the top of the run formerly known as Lower Lakeview. Not sure where Bunker comes from.
Check this story out, it might be the answer.

TS
MarkG

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
what homewood needs is a gondola connecting it to alpine meadows. Put it on the ikon pass.

no?

or maybe a water park?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
what homewood needs is a gondola connecting it to alpine meadows. Put it on the ikon pass.
That's almost 7 miles as the crow flies.... pretty sure that would be the longest ski lift of any type in the world. They should DEFINITELY do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online