• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2022-2023 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Can someone advise what the lowest cost option is for my son and I to stay on mountain at Snowbird or Alta? Thanks for your help!
Are you willing to have a shared bunk room? Or looking for your own room between the two of you? Lodging at Alta lodges often include breakfast/dinner, so you need to factor that in too...

The cheapest would be the bunk rooms at Goldminer's Daughter (food included) or Snowpine Lodge (food not included) I think (though I don't know the lodges well - others have bunk rooms too). As for the cheapest regular hotel room... probably those two as well, based on food included or not (though Snowpine is higher end, so maybe more expensive in the end). You might just want to search and price out the various Alta Lodges - or maybe someone here knows them all well.

You can also look for places for rent at the Iron Blosam at Snowbird (VRBO/AirBnB/etc.) - those are owned condos, so rates depend on the market and owner. Sometimes there are deals to be had.

When you're going and availability would be the next consideration. A lot of on-mountain books many months in advance.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Can someone advise what the lowest cost option is for my son and I to stay on mountain at Snowbird or Alta? Thanks for your help!

Iron Blossom or Inn at Snowbird are the cheapest as far as I am aware of. Sometimes you can score a decent deal on a 1 bedroom condo at Hellgate (but that's not slopeside and a PITA for walking. The Peruvian has some small private rooms that have a shared bathroom, that may be worth looking into too but I believe the Snowbird options are generally cheaper.

The bunk beds at the lodges are generally only economical for 1 person.

ss20

Skier
Alta closed today and Snowbird is just Chickadee. Crazy winds that will continue whipping HARD until midnight. Extreme snowfall rates greater than 2" per hour. Weak layer from the dry portion of November.

Nightmare scenario for avalanche danger.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Iron Blossom or Inn at Snowbird are the cheapest as far as I am aware of. Sometimes you can score a decent deal on a 1 bedroom condo at Hellgate (but that's not slopeside and a PITA for walking. The Peruvian has some small private rooms that have a shared bathroom, that may be worth looking into too but I believe the Snowbird options are generally cheaper.

The bunk beds at the lodges are generally only economical for 1 person.

What I have found so far is just insanely expensive. Like $700 a night type deal. Yikes. It's like $3600 for 4 nights with the fees and stuff included. Insane.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
What I have found so far is just insanely expensive. Like $700 a night type deal. Yikes. It's like $3600 for 4 nights with the fees and stuff included. Insane.

This is for a room with ONE BED in it. :roflmao:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is for a room with ONE BED in it. :roflmao:
Assuming you're trying to avoid rental car, look for a motel on the 994 or 972 bus lines. It will be a little bit of a hassle to ride bus, but worth saving $3k+ https://www.rideuta.com/Rider-Info/Ski-Service
Otherwise, rent a car and stay where you want in the valley. If snow screws up LCC, go to BCC with your IKON pass.

ss20

Skier

Yeah that's generally in-line with the high season these days... not sure if you've been up here before but the bed base in LCC/BCC is very small compared to most resorts of similar size so anything close to the slopes is a very high commodity.

Closest you can get that's borderline reasonable in price is some of the Airbnb's at the canyon mouth, but by that point a better buy is one of the decent hotels in the valley.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
You’re getting close to snow cat/ heli money. Maybe look at a different trip.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Crystal Inn in Sandy is on the bus line and it stops at the end of their driveway. Continental breakfast included.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These are the kind of prices that are keeping me from a trip “again”.:(

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The Crystal Inn in Sandy is on the bus line and it stops at the end of their driveway. Continental breakfast included.
Note that ski bus service is much reduced this season due to staffing shortages. It may change, but right now, the only bus to Alta/Snowbird is UTA route 994, and only stops at Sandy Station, park and ride, and the resorts.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Note that ski bus service is much reduced this season due to staffing shortages. It may change, but right now, the only bus to Alta/Snowbird is UTA route 994, and only stops at Sandy Station, park and ride, and the resorts.

The bus still stops at their driveway and it is seven stops to Sandy station. :huh: Beats 3k for 4 days. I stayed at the GMD and it was nice, but I wouldn’t do it again.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The bus still stops at their driveway and it is seven stops to Sandy station. :huh:
Not according to the links I posted. I've never used UTA, so maybe I'm misunderstanding the website... but this season's only Alta/Snowbird route doesn't appear to go or stop anywhere near Crystal Inn.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not according to the links I posted. I've never used UTA, so maybe I'm misunderstanding the website... but this season's only Alta/Snowbird route doesn't appear to go or stop anywhere near Crystal Inn.
The route to and from Sandy ST takes Murray blvd. the local route takes you to and fro the station and you can grab the bus to the resort. I called and they said that they will shuttle to Sandy st as well but if you want to go early, the bus will work. Again they could be pulling my leg.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The route to and from Sandy ST takes Murray blvd. the local route takes you to and fro the station and you can grab the bus to the resort. I called and they said that they will shuttle to Sandy st as well but if you want to go early, the bus will work. Again they could be pulling my leg.
Thanks... so two different buses then. I was thinking that Crystal Inn used to be on a direct/no transfer bus route.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks... so two different buses then. I was thinking that Crystal Inn used to be on a direct/no transfer bus route.
You are correct it was. As you pointed out the personnel challenges seemed to have changed that. But the UTA still services the local routes.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well how funny is this. Looks like my work will be flying me out to SLC the week of Feb 6th for customer meetings. I'll have a free rental car and flights paid for. Would just need to pay my own hotel for a night and for my ski pass.. Likely would just drive up to Solitude for a day.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well how funny is this. Looks like my work will be flying me out to SLC the week of Feb 6th for customer meetings. I'll have a free rental car and flights paid for. Would just need to pay my own hotel for a night and for my ski pass.. Likely would just drive up to Solitude for a day.
Find a Ikon holder to meet up with and you can get a discount off of the walk up rate. FWIW.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Find a Ikon holder to meet up with and you can get a discount off of the walk up rate. FWIW.

Yeah I figured I could get someone from here to ski with me for the day. All I'm going to need to figure out at this point is where to ski. it would be hard not to go to Alta for the day, but perhaps easier to just go to Solitude...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor