• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2022-2023 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well how funny is this. Looks like my work will be flying me out to SLC the week of Feb 6th for customer meetings. I'll have a free rental car and flights paid for. Would just need to pay my own hotel for a night and for my ski pass.. Likely would just drive up to Solitude for a day.

Purchase online even a day before, Solitude or Brighton < $100. Great value!

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Whenever I go I always spend a day at Solitude. It is such a great mountain. But you really can’t go wrong in SLC.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another early pow day. The snow at DV was about as wind-affected as it could be but still be awesome.

I should mention, the trail White Owl where the World Cup aerials are held, had a complete fracture running across at mid trail with extensive angular fracturing beneath it. I would think they’ll need to set a charge to release the affected snow. So in case you doubt the AV risk right now, it’s extraordinary that there would be movement at that location.

Last edited:

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think we'll have 2 days to ski. Do we do a day at Solitude and then a day at Alta? We enjoy steep groomers, bowls, exploring and don't really enjoy moguls much

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
For steep groomers, I think Alta, Snowbird, and Snowbasin are the best. But it's tough to go wrong in that area.

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think we'll have 2 days to ski. Do we do a day at Solitude and then a day at Alta? We enjoy steep groomers, bowls, exploring and don't really enjoy moguls much

Snowbird for sure, go ski Mineral Basin one of my favorite places to ski... bird2.jpeg

After that I would ski Alta, lots to explore there.

Reisen

Booting up
Skier
We’re coming up on the 27th, and skiing through the 2nd. Family of 5, and will have a 12 y/o and 8 y/o in Alta’s ski school. 12 y/o will ski almost anything on the mountain, but 8 y/o is an intermediate.

Anyone have any thoughts on Sunnyside, access to intermediate terrain, and Alta lift lines that week? I’m following the progress, but do people think the new lift will by then?
We are staying in the city, will have a rental car, and have Ikon passes. We could shift some days to Snowbasin or DV, or could just ski Snowbird more, but we all love Alta.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Lift lines and crowds in general will be as bad as they get that week. Even the backcountry will be crowded.

Alta is not committing on Sunnyside opening date. Last I heard they were hoping for late December. The cable was on though when I looked Friday.

Don’t forget Big Cottonwood Canyon. Brighton & Solitude are both pretty fun.

Deer Valley and Snowbasin have excellent intermediate terrain and are worth a visit if you haven’t been.

Each resort has its own vibe, different views and terrain. Why not move around and expand your experience? Six resorts in six days.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
We’re coming up on the 27th, and skiing through the 2nd. Family of 5, and will have a 12 y/o and 8 y/o in Alta’s ski school. 12 y/o will ski almost anything on the mountain, but 8 y/o is an intermediate.

Anyone have any thoughts on Sunnyside, access to intermediate terrain, and Alta lift lines that week? I’m following the progress, but do people think the new lift will by then?
We are staying in the city, will have a rental car, and have Ikon passes. We could shift some days to Snowbasin or DV, or could just ski Snowbird more, but we all love Alta.

Check your pm's.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Long time listener, first time caller. Heading solo out to Alta/Snowbird this week, staying at The Cliff Lodge. Will be skiing Thursday and Friday (12/8-9), either location on either day. Have only been there once, and it was 14 years ago, so if anyone will be there and wants to make a few runs and offer some sage wisdom, I'd be most appreciative. Also, any pointers would certainly be welcome. Thanks!

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Long time listener, first time caller. Heading solo out to Alta/Snowbird this week, staying at The Cliff Lodge. Will be skiing Thursday and Friday (12/8-9), either location on either day. Have only been there once, and it was 14 years ago, so if anyone will be there and wants to make a few runs and offer some sage wisdom, I'd be most appreciative. Also, any pointers would certainly be welcome. Thanks!

Have fun and explore! This is probably pertinent to your trip... the main connection between the resorts via Mineral Basin is not open yet. So take a shuttle from the Cliff to Alta one morning and ski back to Snowbird via Blackjack traverse or the Keyhole, both are off of the Wildcat chair. Both are for advanced skiers! The Keyhole is steep and relatively rocky (nothing else says "welcome to Snowbird" like Keyhole ;) ). Blackjack "traverse" is a well-marked path degrading into a non-marked path once it leaves the Alta boundary but there should be tracks. It is extremely narrow in places with tight brush. See if there's a return shuttle! Bus is not running yet, that's usually the go-to to ski between resorts before Mineral Basin opens up.

My other "advice" is that I hope you are not looking to cruise intermediate groomers. You will finish both resorts, in a single day, before 2pm, if that is the case!

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the information! This is an early season trip for me, playing hooky from work while I break off the rust, starting what is already planned as a big year with lots of trips on the books. It's also a bit of a recon mission as I'll be heading back out there in January with my wife and son for 4 days of skiing. My boy will be with the Alta Mountain Explorers while my wife (former junior and HS racer) and I see how much trouble we can get in.

I am looking to ski anything and everything that has snow on it! If I find myself on an Intermediate groomer, I probably took a wrong turn (or my legs have given up). I had definitely planned on starting at Alta one of the days. Any thought on which is better between Thurs and Fri?

I appreciate the insight into how to cross back over. That will definitely come in handy. Any idea when Mineral Basin will open. I guess I had not anticipated it still being closed with all the snow that is falling. Thanks again!

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snowbird for sure, go ski Mineral Basin one of my favorite places to ski... View attachment 184903

After that I would ski Alta, lots to explore there.

Would you recommend Snowbird over Alta then? Or maybe a day at each and skip BCC all together? If possible I'd like to do one day in LCC and one day in BCC just to experience them both.

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Would you recommend Snowbird over Alta then? Or maybe a day at each and skip BCC all together? If possible I'd like to do one day in LCC and one day in BCC just to experience them both.

I do prefer Snowbird slightly, with Mineral Basin kind of being the tiebreaker. I would reccommend doing both and skipping BCC, nothing against Solitude and Brighton but Alta and Snowbird are that good.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With the extreme wind loading and weak layer it’s not surprising we’ve now had at least three in bounds slides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online