• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2022-2023 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Any advice on picking between Alta vs Snowbird? I was leaning Alta but I've had a few people tell me we may want to go to Snowbird instead. We're looking to ski wide open bowls, steep groomers, and avoid moguls for the most part... This is on Thursday the 9th if that matters.
Snowbird has a bigger "gnar" factor and not too much groomed terrain, IME, but they do have Mineral Basin for your wide open bowl skiing. If you don't like moguls you could end up having a bad time. Even the main "beginner" run down to the base gets bumped up at times.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snowbird has a bigger "gnar" factor and not too much groomed terrain, IME, but they do have Mineral Basin for your wide open bowl skiing. If you don't like moguls you could end up having a bad time. Even the main "beginner" run down to the base gets bumped up at times.

hmmm.. Ok that might influence our decision a bit...

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Any advice on picking between Alta vs Snowbird? I was leaning Alta but I've had a few people tell me we may want to go to Snowbird instead. We're looking to ski wide open bowls, steep groomers, and avoid moguls for the most part... This is on Thursday the 9th if that matters.
some big ones setting up offpiste - think volkswagons

hopefully some more storms pop up before you come out

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
If that is what you are looking for I’d say you should pick Snowbird. You can ski both on the same day you know.

Most bowls in Utah are going to be pretty moguled up on Thursday since it will be several days after Sunday’s snow fall.

For steep groomers, The Bird has Regulator Johnson. Short shots like Nina’s or No. 9 (if it is groomed) at Alta. I can’t really think of any other longer steep groomers at either resort but maybe my recollection isn’t on point.

Last edited:

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any advice on picking between Alta vs Snowbird?

Alta and Snowbird are very different but both are the very definition of epic skiing.

Upon reflection of my earlier post one thing I'd change with my suggestion to @Snapcase26 would be to do

Alta-Alta-Snowbird-Snowbird-Deer Valley or Snowbird-Snowbird-Alta-Alta-Deer Valley

I always find it useful to have back to back ski days at big ski areas to get comfortable with the terrain and facilities.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
there's plenty of fun groomers to be had a both resorts - a lot of blues in LCC aren't your average blues

Yeah that's what I've read. I'm pretty sure we're going to go with Snowbird at this point...

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great first day skiing in Utah this season! We went to Brighton and intermittently connected with @Philpug @Tricia @Stephen @Andy Mink. They were 'working' by trying out new equipment for the next season. No new snow today and that might be the reason we had no traffic going up the canyon at 9am and got third row parking.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
A productive day, 5 laps in a favorite zone plus a couple other specials. I don’t think the temps got out of the single digits which makes for sweatless hiking…
BF2A2FDB-F20B-4465-9301-01F2730610C7.jpeg

9D5BC97E-52AA-4085-9009-DEAFA750AB53.jpeg

1D399FDC-0F12-4E85-8C53-DE0D788DD814.jpeg

8D93E7C1-9C00-49D7-BD74-118B95E791C0.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online