• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2022-2023 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
3 days at the Bird over the weekend. skied with a bunch of different freinds. Really fun pushing the slush around and pounding the Mogul fields. Got a couple action shots

IMG_5035.JPEG
IMG_6662.JPG
IMG_E6638.JPG IMG_E6647.JPG
Hoping the snow holds up for Fathers day weekend but not holding my breath.
Time to earn some turns at Alta next .

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When the increase in the AltaBird pass was announced my wife and I didn't spend much time talking about it. I've had Snowbird preferred parking for the past two seasons and had already purchased it for next season at $200 more than the first time I bought it, this is what we have been talking about the past few weeks.
In the past week or so Mrsjmills had started asking daily about my plans for next season and asked if she needed to call the Bird to discuss a parking refund. I declined her offer of help and made the call today. The waitlist to pay to park is long enough they offered a refund and requested that if I choose to cancel, do it prior to October 1.
Buying our passes tonight didn't feel the same as seasons past, my wife asked me three different times how much I spent on skiing today.
The order I have in at Praxis for a custom MVP108 will be the only ski I add for next season.

Seeing the tweet below earlier today, then reading @blackke17 talking about earning turns at Alta, some spring-summer 2019 stoke will be better than my complaining about pass prices.

I think I'll try to get some turns in at Alta in the next few days as well.

IMG_3049.jpg

6/6/2019 booting up above Ballroom.
IMG_9901.jpg

6/11/2019
Walking up Hi-Boy wasn't bad until my legs tapped out and having a 35 lb pack on my back, I was wishing I hadn't stayed in the center of the run. I had some work left to get to my second favorite boot up spot of the month and was rewarded with a better spot to click into my skis. It was a fun ride down.

tempImagekH03XC.png tempImage5Nxv7W.png

6/20/2019
Main Chute was the best skiing of the spring.
F0C54839-8D7F-4CA9-9534-8021B985DE13.JPG

From the Main Chute lap I skied a few more days up to 7/4/2019 and skied at Alta avoiding the July 4 crowds at the Bird.

My last attempted day of the season was on 8/3/2019 with a plan to ski Main Chute. Coverage was lacking with the only snow I saw covering maybe 2/3 of Main Chute. I got a glimpse of it as I was walking downhill

tempImagevb5BUg.png

Video from the lot outside the Albion Grill at 8600'.I was at 10500' and trying to curl up small enough for my pack to protect me. I didn't ski

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
When the increase in the AltaBird pass was announced my wife and I didn't spend much time talking about it. I've had Snowbird preferred parking for the past two seasons and had already purchased it for next season at $200 more than the first time I bought it, this is what we have been talking about the past few weeks.
In the past week or so Mrsjmills had started asking daily about my plans for next season and asked if she needed to call the Bird to discuss a parking refund. I declined her offer of help and made the call today. The waitlist to pay to park is long enough they offered a refund and requested that if I choose to cancel, do it prior to October 1.
Buying our passes tonight didn't feel the same as seasons past, my wife asked me three different times how much I spent on skiing today.
The order I have in at Praxis for a custom MVP108 will be the only ski I add for next season.

Seeing the tweet below earlier today, then reading @blackke17 talking about earning turns at Alta, some spring-summer 2019 stoke will be better than my complaining about pass prices.

I think I'll try to get some turns in at Alta in the next few days as well.

it was tough shelling out $2838 for the ALTABIRD w/ IKON add on!!!

that rain video was insane!

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
@jmills115 as big as the price hikes are unfortunately I don't think we are even close to the limit. I only know one

It's a lot of money. Except if you look at how passes were priced before epic and ikon pass, that's still a fantastic deal even though it probably doesn't feel like it right now.

Given renewal rates unfortunately I don't think they are even that close to hitting the top of the pricing envelope.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
@jmills115 as big as the price hikes are unfortunately I don't think we are even close to the limit. I only know one

It's a lot of money. Except if you look at how passes were priced before epic and ikon pass, that's still a fantastic deal even though it probably doesn't feel like it right now.

Given renewal rates unfortunately I don't think they are even that close to hitting the top of the pricing envelope.
Snowbird zero interest payment plan makes it easier. just like adding a car payment to the budget for 5 months.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

As bad as it was getting blasted by the hail that was hitting me, not making it home on time to take my wife to dinner for her birthday (the day before) hurt a bit more.
I’m thinking I should have gone with the Ikon add on as well.

I might have talked about options other than an AltaBird pass but was never seriously considering not buying what I did.
The discount I was getting to ski AltaBird in the past was nice. I am still able to buy a pass to Alta and Snowbird and don’t have plans to stop.
Even with all the doom and gloom of what might happen in LCC, it is still pretty funking great skiing.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I came across an article in the Salt Lake Tribune by Julie Jag, dated 1 June 2023. It had some really good stats about Utah snow and crowds for the winter of 2022-23. I'll list a few facts from the article here for posterity.

- Ski Utah estimates visitation to the state's resorts during 22-23 season will reach 7.1 million (Snowbird is likely to reopen for a few weekends later in June and July). This is a record and a 22% increase over last year's record! (Visitation is different from visitors. One person like myself going to ski 62 times in Utah boosts visitation, but only counts as one visitor.)
- Nationally, visitation jumped 6.6% in 22-23 for a record of 64.7 million visits.
- The big visitation numbers are attributed to big snowfall numbers, especially in the West and Rocky Mountain regions, which accounted for 40% of the visitation.
- More than half of Utah's 15 resorts claimed their longest season on record, including Brian Head, Solitude (192 days of lift served access), Deer Valley, Brighton, Snowbasin, Nordic Valley, and Woodward Park City.
- Alta saw a record 903" of snow, topping its previous record by more than 150". Alta received 229" of snow in March alone (244% above its average for March). In fact, Alta averaged 5.1" of snowfall each day during its ski season (halting lift operations on April 21).
- Sundance received 10 more feet of snow than it had ever seen.
- Brighton, Solitude, Snowbird, Snowbasin, Nordic Valley, Woodward Park City, Park City Mountain, and Deer Valley also set snowfall records. Most saw record snowpack as well.
- Ski Utah issued 44 powder alerts (at least 12" new snow in a 24 hour span). The average alerts of this type for a season is 19.

Personally, I calculated that during my first 70 days in Utah this winter (from 20 January to the end of March) Snowbird averaged over six inches of snow per day during those 70 days! And that didn't include the Snowmageddon that would occur on April 2-5, 2023, when some resorts received approximately 60" of snow in 60 hours. As of 3 June 2023 Snowbird has recorded 838" of snow, also a seasonal record for the resort.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This weekend is it at Snowbird... https://www.snowbird.com/blog/skiing-in-june/

Shame. What killed them?

Simple thaw: tons of warm weather, rain, wind, etc. They're losing 3-4 inches of snowpack per day so it's not entirely shocking - especially given that the lower mountain doesn't have a contiguous path to the base. And after a while it becomes a money loser for the resort to spin the lifts for a few hundred people.

They'll probably spin Little Cloud for racing teams for an additional week (i.e. no public access) but that's it.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Simple thaw: tons of warm weather, rain, wind, etc. They're losing 3-4 inches of snowpack per day so it's not entirely shocking - especially given that the lower mountain doesn't have a contiguous path to the base. And after a while it becomes a money loser for the resort to spin the lifts for a few hundred people.

They'll probably spin Little Cloud for racing teams for an additional week (i.e. no public access) but that's it.

I thought the relatively cool weather the past week and the near-constant cloud cover would've helped them more than hurt. Oh well.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
hard to complain about this season! i'll take one last hurrah.

the rain has been the main culprit i think - melting the snow and keeping me off the mountain bike but i sure have been loving the cooler temps.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought the relatively cool weather the past week and the near-constant cloud cover would've helped them more than hurt. Oh well.

There has also been a not-insubstantial amount of dust and smoke in the air that has settled on the snowpack. That stuff is like throwing a melting enhancer on things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online