• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 "First to Open" in North America thread

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I found some good deals to get me to A Basin 7 Nov through 13 November. I don't know anything about the place, worth it?

I would save the money. Not really worth it to travel here so early in the season just to ski. If you are going to be here anyway maybe. I live in Denver so its easy for me to just drive up ski a few runs and go back down. That is what I usually do until much more terrain opens later in December.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What I heard from them was that Keystone has their system automated, to turn on and off by itself, each snow making station doing this independently of the others, when temp and humidity make snow making favorable, even for a short window. No operators have to be roused, go up there, take readings, find the snow-making window is good or has passed, and then turn it on or not. I could see this at times being a big advantage early on, and cumulatively. (Now if they could just put Keystone on jacks and ratchet it up a thousand feet or so in elevation to where A Basin and Loveland are, that might help too.)

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wolf Creek is looking good for opening today...

1634394069988.png

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Y’all a bit excited about Keystone.

Not excited. Just trying to present the only scenario I see in Keystone opening before ABasin.

I have usually avoided the WROD on whatever pass I have and waited until the opening area has at least two “routes” open.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
What I heard from them was that Keystone has their system automated, to turn on and off by itself, each snow making station doing this independently of the others, when temp and humidity make snow making favorable, even for a short window. No operators have to be roused, go up there, take readings, find the snow-making window is good or has passed, and then turn it on or not. I could see this at times being a big advantage early on, and cumulatively. (Now if they could just put Keystone on jacks and ratchet it up a thousand feet or so in elevation to where A Basin and Loveland are, that might help too.)
It won’t be the first run open each year, but snowmaking in Bergman Bowl will have about the same elevations.

Keystone’s system is state of the art. But it isn’t unique. Mt Snow uses this type of system in VT. Boyne uses it in MI, and I believe Northstar as the tech in Tahoe.

The efficiency, productivity, and quality of the snow are incredible.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, it was sweet while it lasted. 5 runs. Got there at 7:15 or so, was on the 14th chair up. The Summit Daily camera man asked my name after he took a shot, and wrote it down. Less line, a bit, than past years. Lots of familiar faces and folks to talk to in that first line. As usual, Jesus (his actual name) had his skier boom box system up too loud, and his russet wig in fine form. Big smiles. (He was about fourth chair, first row.) Most folks on the first half dozen chairs had camped out overnight in campers.

The real line was for the bloody Mary mugs - first come, first served, only 430 of them to pass out, I was told. (Half price on a bloody Mary with a mug? Something like that.)

First two runs were extra great. I remembered how to ski! The lift opened early, before 8:15, and I stopped just around the time of that photo above. Just about right for first day, for me. I'd risked a pair of SL skis, and wasn't hitting rocks. One small burr per ski, was all the damage.

Guess I'll go tomorrow, God willing.

janeskis

Putting on skis
Skier
Wolf was a lot of fun on Saturday! Coverage was surprisingly good for 14”. There were even some people hitting Alberta face, although I’m certain they hit some rocks on the way down. Very empty- they didn’t even fill one parking lot. We rolled up at about 9:30 and parked in the 4th row of the 4x4 lot.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wolf was a lot of fun on Saturday! Coverage was surprisingly good for 14”. There were even some people hitting Alberta face, although I’m certain they hit some rocks on the way down. Very empty- they didn’t even fill one parking lot. We rolled up at about 9:30 and parked in the 4th row of the 4x4 lot.
Pics?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

It looked empty from the photos. But so many other awesome things to do this time of year that are absolutely in their prime.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Watching the Raiders/Broncos game, they just had a shot of A-Basin.

Reactions: nay

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Really great pictures of Wolf Creek! Thanks!

P.S. Correction: After the first two runs at A Basin today, pebbles on the snow gradually became more extensive.

It turned out that my fingers were cold numb right after skiing when I felt for burrs, and I was pretty much rose-colored glasses about the whole experience - first day, and really fun! When I got home I later found the damage was not disastrous, but the burring was more extensive than I had at first thought. I may shift to rock skis after all next time, if things continue to deteriorate. Sigh.

It's still only edge burr damage, no scrapes or scarring to the base, nothing that ten minutes on the tune table won't cure.

With fewer people on the snow midweek, and some more snow-making, maybe the SL skis again, not sure.

Reactions: nay

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Okay, onto first in the east to open. Apparently Killington was running their guns on upper Skyelark, but probably just a test run. That is not their normal WROD location up on North Ridge, but it is next to Superstar and part of the women's WC venue for training.

James

Out There
Instructor
Does Killington care about first these days with the world cup Superstar glacier construction?

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I haven't really cared if they are first as I couldn't make opening day until this year if the timing is right, but they open the North Ridge before moving on to the glacier. I do think Killington cares. I'm still thinking November 5 judging from the forecast.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I haven't really cared if they are first as I couldn't make opening day until this year if the timing is right, but they open the North Ridge before moving on to the glacier. I do think Killington cares. I'm still thinking November 5 judging from the forecast.

I think it'll be sometime next weekend or Monday. They only need a couple good nights of making snow.

Sponsor

Staff online