• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Mountain Biking

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well one thing is certain, you don't want to be doing any big drops without a dropper!

IMG_0174.JPG

Wait, never mind.....

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Rode 11+ miles both days this weekend. My fitness level decreased a lot thanks to COVID, but it felt good to get back out there in the fall foliage. 4ster joined us both days. Yesterday we had a gang of 7. The new trail at North Fork is awesome and has several drops built into it. I rolled one of them then chickened out on the next, bigger one. The leaves are finally turning. Fall is delayed by the warm temperatures at night.

I PRd a dowhill segment that's about 1 mile long by nearly a minute! I felt like I was not going that fast--this Top Fuel is honestly crazy fast descending I think because it's more maneuverable. I'm debating putting a 130mm fork on it, but first want to fiddle with the tokens in it to see if I can achieve max travel with a bit softer ride.
F40CE268-AFB6-4BBF-838F-F0D5B5DE804D.jpeg
B7305A5F-C553-42FE-9DEA-580551B671B6.jpeg
C7BE4AB2-07F3-4753-A959-592E8C62C035.jpeg
EB73034E-73CB-4F3E-AC88-C4127807C078.jpeg

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Droppers seem to be like choosing ski size and width. It has a lot to do with the kind of trails your ride. A dropper in my neighborhood with lots of roots, rocks and long (and often steep) descents is a godsend. If you ride a mostly smooth trails it may not be so important. I was using a quick release on my seat post before I switched over to a dropper since I don't like endo-ing on the trails I ride.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
@4ster after plenty of thinking and checking (whole 2 days :ogbiggrin:) I went with friends suggestion who said to go either OneUp or PNW Loam, but took 125mm PNW Loam on the end, as I had 15% discount in one of German web stores, and they had only PNW. Will see (hopefully soon) if it was good or bad decision, but from what I saw on web, most of people are quite happy with it, so I think it will be just fine.
I have a PNW Loam and it has been great. Keep it greased and check the air pressure when you install it. From the factory it was a bit slow extending, but with some additional air it is quick. I am running about 200 psi now.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Rode 11+ miles both days this weekend. My fitness level decreased a lot thanks to COVID, but it felt good to get back out there in the fall foliage. 4ster joined us both days. Yesterday we had a gang of 7. The new trail at North Fork is awesome and has several drops built into it.
That was fun! Been a while since I rode with a big group...
North Fork new trail2.jpg
North Fork new trail.jpg

I was using a quick release on my seat post before I switched over to a dropper since I don't like endo-ing on the trails I ride.
I rode with a quick release before I had a dropper & since most of my rides were up, up, up & then down, down, down I didn't really see the need for a dropper cuz I would just lower the seat for the down. Once I got a bike with a dropper it truly was a game changer for me! I will often drop it as I go into a turn & be raising it as I come out & begin to peddle. I don't think jumping could even happen for me without it.

D91E5015-B465-4C27-8E31-89C3480B53A4.gif

Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Rode a ride(little bald mountain) I havent done in close to 10’ish+ years. Starts at about 2800’ climbs up a gravel road for 15 miles to about 6100’, then a 13’ish mile singletrack ‘decent’ that packs another 1200’ of climbing. 5 hours 4500’ 28 miles I was ready for a cold beer!
A93115E5-CABB-4F4F-A091-AB026DE3EB16.jpeg

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
All of you guys that don't like droppers - how do you feel about the new parabolic skis?

ogsmile I was thinking the same thing, modern mtb geo is really a lot like modern more centered position soft snow skis. Just like with skis, pretty much all mountain bikes are moving in this direction and unless you pedal with a relatively low seat to avoid being menaced by it on downhills, that really steep effective STA is going to keep the seat in the way, in a bad way, a lot of the time.

The question, much like skis, is does everybody need lower/slacker for the riding they do, and the answer broadly is “no”. Having said that, for somebody getting into mountain biking today, the risk of regular OTB incidents is drastically lower and the ability to progress rapidly is drastically higher because your bike isn’t trying to kill you and nothing related to the frame is in the way to learning upper/lower body separation.

On a 32mm stem with 800mm handlebars and a 37mm offset fork (27.5 tires), you have to do something very unexpected like dig into a soft shoulder at speed to go OTB, and that probably only occurred because the wheel twisted due to the unexpected soft dirt dig.

You don’t have to learn to be an expert carver, that’s a skill that can be acquired over time if it actually matters to you. Same is true for a MTB unless you are a racer, and because of that, a dropper is 100% the most important piece of equipment on that modern bike outside of the brakes.

It also keeps beginners from believing the seat is a safer place, especially on a full suspension bike. Butt in contact with seat is the source of a lot of bad crashes early on in skill development and the more DH oriented the bike, the greater that issue presents.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
So, I’m just going to leave this here. Does this mean I’ve seen it all while biking? I’ve come around corners to moose and sheep and snakes, but this was a new one! :bike:
I guess I was lucky they were done by the time I got up there this afternoon :rolleyes:

The question, much like skis, is does everybody need lower/slacker for the riding they do, and the answer broadly is “no”. Having said that, for somebody getting into mountain biking today, the risk of regular OTB incidents is drastically lower and the ability to progress rapidly is drastically higher because your bike isn’t trying to kill you and nothing related to the frame is in the way to learning upper/lower body separation.
Made me chuckle :roflmao:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess I was lucky they were done by the time I got up there this afternoon :rolleyes:

Made me chuckle :roflmao:
Why do I always see the crazy stuff while I'm climbing and can't zip on by and pretend I don't see anything?!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Why do I always see the crazy stuff while I'm climbing and can't zip on by and pretend I don't see anything?!
Did you use your Timberbell? That should get them out of the way!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

So you can actually see while climbing?

I'm typically in a bleery, foggy haze.....

I've only run into that once, but it was near Eugene OR, so, hippies! :roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online