• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Mountain Biking

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank goodness nobody blows the larch needles off the trails out here!

Rd 44 End of 2019.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I was surprised to see so much leaf blowing being done in New England. It wasn't a thing 20 years ago. It appears to be de rigueur now.

We don't seem to have enough leaves on the ground to merit it. The photo below shows that even in an aspen zone, there isn't much foliage on the trail.

IMG_20220927_120953572.jpg

@aveski, may have some input on this. I think he rides trails where this is done.

What I wonder is for all the effort put into blowing trails, how long does it last. It's not like the leaves go away, they are just moved a couple of feet out of the way. Wind doesn't refill the trail quickly?

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I went the opposite direction than usual on one of my local trails last weekend and got off trail twice because I couldn't see where it was, probably due to the amount of leaves that had fallen during the week and low wheel count.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I went the opposite direction than usual on one of my local trails last weekend and got off trail twice because I couldn't see where it was, probably due to the amount of leaves that had fallen during the week and low wheel count.
I had a pretty comical ride last weekend on a trail I don't ride very often...it was like driving in fog...as long as you had someone in front of you can see the trail clear as day. Then you get in front and immediately think "what trail?".

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
It's been freakishly warm here in VT so I've been taking advantage as much as I can. This is video from a ride down in Woodstock with a friend. The end is incredibly steep.

Sweet trail!

In CO high alpine we sort of look forward to leaves because it’s the end of dust. The problem is they cover up rock and erosion when you are going mach chicken down sketchy stuff and you pretty much just have to get off the brakes and trust the bike.

We also don’t have enough leaves cover to obscure where the trail is so it’s more of a factor in believing we ever have anything remotely approaching loam.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
What I wonder is for all the effort put into blowing trails, how long does it last. It's not like the leaves go away, they are just moved a couple of feet out of the way. Wind doesn't refill the trail quickly?
They have Rain.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Really good conditions in Hartman Rocks as the end of season draws near - unless you fat bike because they groom a fat bike track with the Nordic stuff once it closes to regular use. We just ski down here at that point, I can ride on the Front Range all year.

A couple inches of snow from days earlier were holding into the north facing lip of many trail edges providing some slow melt moisture to keep things tacky. Some of the lower pitch stuff like Luge becomes a riot in these conditions.

Other fun stuff, too.

BFDEEC06-5230-4D99-8A56-E4525B7F52CD.jpeg
3BC04197-471F-4B2C-8DBF-B90E6E5385EA.jpeg
CFBD5662-0873-48B5-B00A-981912420914.jpeg

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had a pretty comical ride last weekend on a trail I don't ride very often...it was like driving in fog...as long as you had someone in front of you can see the trail clear as day. Then you get in front and immediately think "what trail?".

This ^
Where I ride has a blue section and a blue + with more climbs.
The blue section had been cleared.
I wandered off trail a few times on the other section because the leaves were so thick.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Got another exploring ride in on Wednesday. It started snowing and the forecast is for anywhere between 3-6".. with any luck this will start to really fill in the tussoks and bumps. Also saw some official ice thickness reports that most of the larger lakes our winter trails cross have hit around 6" thick, plenty thick enough for me to finally venture out on them. I'm excited for the weekend even though it might be too soon for any significant packing or trail traffic to take place.

Anyways, I connected a couple small sections of trail together to create some more route options for after work rides. Found a bunch of solar panels!
20221102_184044.jpg

And I experimented with using my Outbound Lighting Trail EVO as a camera light.. worked okay. Mostly I think it had to do with my phone deciding it was going to use night mode and took 4 seconds to take the picture. I really want to find a tripod/stick to attach to my phone for better night pictures.
20221102_192133.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I guess it is still kind of a secret but if you're ever interested I can give you the password ;).
The biking is nothing special but the area is amazing!
I believe there is a new trail system in that area, if it's where I'm thinking it is.

I think the bike rack will be coming off the car today. I'm trying not to get too giddy about the big, early storms coming in (cold ones at that!)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We've gone just a wee bit warm for ideal fat biking conditions, but that is going to change with a bang on Sunday night. Fingers crossed!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

To answer your question, this is 4 days after a volunteer raking crew came through.

IMG_20221105_150936.jpg

Practically speaking, the leaf raking does absolutely nothing to help tire slip or trail visibility, but it *does* keep the larger rocks, the plank mudhole crossings and some pedestrians visible. (There is one pedestrian sitting in the leaves at the bottom there, and another helping him).

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online