• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 New England Gathering Trip Report

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The snow at the end of the day got better and better as the temperature dropped. On the hard, dry traverses (vs the ones with puddles) a thin coating of silky smooth snow was sweet! (There wasn't really enough to tell the difference on real trails yet, but it was coming down hard and I think tomorrow is going to be great.)

I did make a run over to Bear just to see what it was like, and the bottom approaching the lift was glue. Stick to the higher elevations. Much nicer.

James

Out There
Instructor
Geez, all day and more photos of food than skiing.
Got there at 3, one gondi run and two Superstar runs w/mdf.
The snow on Superstar was actually pretty nice. Hard to see though.
579D83B5-424B-4CC4-B09A-CDDF5064175C.jpeg
@mdf last one standing at 4. Still snowing.

22400393-9D8D-4F6F-B52A-AB7B74EE1865.jpeg
Skiing the wales on Superstar. The snow was buttery smooth, almost like untouched corn. Just difficult to see where it went.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Geez, all day and more photos of food than skiing
Slow food, fast skiing. Food holds still better than Bears / Pugs.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
We’ve made it into Vermont! Google maps led us on the most backwoods route through ny state, I swear we’ve been on over a dozen dark county roads and connections with no other cars in site. I’m always amazed and confused by the many routes to get to VT…comforting to be back on a “main” road with lights and other cars! just under 40 mins to go!

I’ll add to the non-skiing pictures:

Cool diner we stopped at for dinner:
3D773FA6-A18D-420D-B03F-EA9588EDA2BE.jpeg
The diner setting and interior and was very David Lynch/Twin Peaks. I was compelled to get a slice of pie, but apple, not cherry.

Peter enjoying the ambiance and a cup of coffee: F4AB88D0-8FC7-4840-B58D-66D041BA03AB.jpeg

Food:
4E7E3764-5EFD-4D81-8377-E7203FBAC2E4.jpeg

Regarding tomorrow - what time and where is the meet up? …sorry, I’m sure this is posted up somewhere…

if we don’t make it in time, I’ll keep my eyes peeled… we will need a refresher course on the blue runs for sure.

NEG! NEG! NEG!

James

Out There
Instructor
SuperStar lift base. 9am.
That’s a lotta pasta. Took the Taconic?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
We’ve made it into Vermont! Google maps led us on the most backwoods route through ny state, I swear we’ve been on over a dozen dark county roads and connections with no other cars in site. I’m always amazed and confused by the many routes to get to VT…comforting to be back on a “main” road with lights and other cars! just under 40 mins to go!

Hah! Chicken pesto to burnt toast you were never more than 2 miles away from (a) Route 9.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
SuperStar lift base. 9am.
That’s a lotta pasta. Took the Taconic?
Yep, Taconic all the way…I guess google thought all the main roads would be even more trafficky than it was to get out of the city. 2 hours to clear Brooklyn to the Bronx! I guess that’s pretty normal….we always have a few moments of questioning trips to vt when this happens. But we’re here now!
There was a lady selling churros on the highway next to yankee stadium. It was so trafficky, she could easily just walk to cars and trucks that wanted some!
01FD315E-D68D-4901-B7AC-A6157E5EA370.jpeg EC8750D1-82C1-4AC5-B18C-DE414341C5BA.jpeg B7153CFA-895C-40EA-BD59-1D439667D8DF.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
The Taconic is like a treadmill. It was even worse a few years ago with no exit numbers.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
we’ll, we’re late. Just leaving snowshed lodge. Is there a straggler meet up? If not, lunch spot?

I’m in my usual yellow helmet, blue jacket, orange pants. Peter is black and khaki. Heading to the superstar region….

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Well, I'm missing out on all the fun on this bluebird Saturday at Killington. Two things happened. I sprained my wrist in a little fall onto a pole grip on Thursday in the sticky glop at Sugarbush with @Tony S. and LakesPapa from EpicSki. To top that injury off, after getting back from the hospital where I had the xrays done (no broken bones showing), I immediately came down with either 1) food poisoning, 2) stomach virus, or 3) Covid variant attacking the gut. Two days of intestinal yuk.

Oh well.... I'm sitting this one out, cautiously. I hate being cautious. I'm stabilizing the wrist to avoid further damage, and doing my civic duty for NEGatheringers who shouldn't be exposed to my infection.

It's beautiful out my window so I'm assuming it's great skiing up on the slopes. Grab some extra fun for me.

tempImageaPzGOs.png

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I'm missing out on all the fun on this bluebird Saturday at Killington. Two things happened. I sprained my wrist in a little fall onto a pole grip on Thursday in the sticky glop at Sugarbush with @Tony S. and LakesPapa from EpicSki. To top that injury off, after getting back from the hospital where I had the xrays done (no broken bones showing), I immediately came down with either 1) food poisoning, 2) stomach virus, or 3) Covid variant attacking the gut. Two days of intestinal yuk.

Oh well.... I'm sitting this one out, cautiously. I hate being cautious. I'm stabilizing the wrist to avoid further damage, and doing my civic duty for NEGatheringers who shouldn't be exposed to my infection.

It's beautiful out my window so I'm assuming it's great skiing up on the slopes. Grab some extra fun for me.

View attachment 165295
Heal fast @LiquidFeet !

Sponsor

Staff online