• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 New England Gathering Trip Report

James

Out There
Instructor
Another great day at Killington. More variable climate, from cold dry snow to heavy wet slushy corn in the tropics of Bear Mountain.

084610E3-3C7B-4E6E-BC68-7AE01FAE5AA7.jpeg
A little fresh snow on the way up.

98BD40DB-18DC-4336-A4FA-B05B1FB76054.jpeg
Up Superstar. Probably a level 3 group up on the headwall. Some fresh snow on the ground.

FD5BCB92-EA40-404F-ADDF-6426D1D90096.jpeg
Great view back of Superstar after side stepping up the large mound. Top of Bear Mt in background.

B0F73CBD-0DBB-45EF-9716-41DDEB5AAE49.jpeg
Downdraft. Lotta ice between clumps

@mdf on Cascade-
8AF03DE1-D003-4B9B-9E00-CB30B8399131.jpeg

97CD3809-2447-47CF-8F07-A10CEC48FB7B.jpeg

A6AF87D6-131D-49FB-9A7B-65D0A2F34235.jpeg
Cascade was again great. By end of day the cold dry powder near the top was starting to turn.

B9F4236B-9741-46ED-88DE-E95FD1A6A94F.jpeg
On Launch Pad towards Ovation and Superstar. Old Superstar required walking down the bottom.

EC51FB99-80F1-4B02-B13E-C20B8D37A00B.jpeg
Headwall traverse after the lift stopped for the day.

Last edited:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks to everyone that made for a great Gathering and to you that made the trip to our little mountain. It was good to meet some new Talkers and to catch up with folks that I met at the Taos Gathering. The mountain delivered some improved conditions after a sketchy start, but I'm continuing to learn that New England skiing and Killington in particular needs to tried and visited before bailing on a ski day.

The intermediate skiers did not materialize for me to lead so I chased the "exceptional" Talkers around the mountain unless they decided to stand around and discuss our next run ad infinitum (too much to choose from). In that case, I just stated where I was headed based on the most prevalent location I heard. Sometimes the group split up, but we always seemed to find each other again.

Jane is the photographer in our family and caught one of a fellow we had been seeing the last few days before the Gathering. This sighting was at the Bear Mountain Mogul Challenge on Saturday. I think he might be taller than me or is it the headdress?

View attachment 165440
That looks like Rodger, the bird man. He skis in road kill ski atire. I know him from Jiminy peak.

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
And a few shots from me also. Great weekend - really enjoyed seeing old friends again and meeting a lot of fun new folks. Thanks to Kevin for organizing and to our guides - we were a big group, so pressure was on to make a good call!
IMG-0397.jpg
Awesome views on Saturday

IMG-0400.jpg
@James making the huge bumps on Outer Limits look easy (they weren't)

IMG-0414.jpg
@zircon ripping it up on Highline

IMG-0420.jpg
Ditto for @Pumba

IMG-0421.jpg
Happy multicolored skiers

IMG-0423.jpg
Our digs for the weekend. Heartily recommend the CJSC lodge, and the friendly greeting from @Michael V and the members there. Thanks to @Phelmut for being our host!

PS - I have video, but need to figure out how to post it to Youtube. That's tomorrow's project...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That looks like Rodger, the bird man. He skis in road kill ski atire. I know him from Jiminy peak.
Now we understand the vertigo.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think I'll do a trip report for this one given this thread is a good report... but here's a bunch of pictures...

Friday

@KevinF and @Scruffy heading into the gloom
NE Gathering 040322 001 ACR Conv.jpg

@Johnny V. , @Tony S, @KevinF, and @Scruffy with some typical late season NE snow surfaces after buckets of rain the day before
NE Gathering 040322 004 ACR Conv.jpg

@mister moose, @PinnacleJim, @KevinF, @Marker, @Scruffy
NE Gathering 040322 014 ACR Conv.jpg

This was an open run all weekend (Wildfire)
NE Gathering 040322 016 ACR Conv.jpg

@mister moose, @KevinF, @Tony S, some guy in red, @Johnny V., Mrs. Johnny V., @PinnacleJim, @Marker
NE Gathering 040322 018 ACR Conv.jpg

@mister moose and @Marker looking down lower East Fall
NE Gathering 040322 032 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Lunch at the Peak Lodge
NE Gathering 040322 035 ACR Conv.jpg

View down Superstar later in the day with some wet snow falling
NE Gathering 040322 044 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Me and @Marker getting a bit wet in the falling snow
NE Gathering 040322 048 ACR Conv.jpg

Saturday

Beautiful morning on Saturday... view from around the bottom of Superstar
NE Gathering 040322 052 ACR Conv.jpg

Shot of how tall the glacier is right now on Superstar
NE Gathering 040322 053 ACR Conv.jpg

It was really windy Saturday morning, necessitating covering up from stinging blowing snow and wind
NE Gathering 040322 054 ACR Conv.jpg

View from the top of Superstar
NE Gathering 040322 058 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

@Scruffy on Superstar
NE Gathering 040322 062 ACR Conv.jpg

@SKI-3PO on Superstar
NE Gathering 040322 064 ACR Conv.jpg

@Phelmut off the Snowden bubble somewhere
NE Gathering 040322 073 ACR Conv.jpg

@TheArchitect at the top of a few bumps off Bunny Buster...
NE Gathering 040322 079 ACR Conv.jpg

... and in the bumps with @Phelmut up the hill to the left
NE Gathering 040322 083 ACR Conv.jpg

Interesting views from the top of other ski mountains... I think this is Stratton and Mount Snow
NE Gathering 040322 086 ACR Conv.jpg

View from the top
NE Gathering 040322 089 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

View from the top
NE Gathering 040322 094 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

We went over to Bear briefly where there was a good turnout for the mogul competition
NE Gathering 040322 097 ACR Conv.jpg

I skied these all weekend... worked well in the very mixed conditions
NE Gathering 040322 099 ACR Conv.jpg

Saturday tailgate early
NE Gathering 040322 104 ACR Conv.jpg

Dinner Saturday night at The Garlic..
20220402_204629.jpg

Sunday

The sun trying to come out on Sunday
NE Gathering 040322 106 ACR Conv.jpg

Mrs. @Marker, @Johnny V., and @Tony S at the top of Superstar
NE Gathering 040322 108 ACR Conv.jpg

@James coming out of some bumps
NE Gathering 040322 109 ACR Conv.jpg

Panic Button/Needles Eye... I think there are a bunch of SkiTalkers in there somewhere
NE Gathering 040322 115 ACR Conv.jpg

@Tony S, @James, and others coming down Highline
NE Gathering 040322 120 ACR Conv.jpg

EDIT... NOT @James
NE Gathering 040322 121 ACR Conv.jpg

@ScottB, @Dean and others
NE Gathering 040322 122 ACR Conv.jpg

Thanks especially to @KevinF and @Guy in Shorts for the organizing and hospitality. And thanks to everyone I got to ski with and hang out with... it was a great weekend!

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
This was an open run all weekend (Wildfire)
99F7586B-F996-4305-B35D-0E48940D3089.jpeg
It was better today, we skied it. One L3 group did it in the am with hard snow.
Lower Skyeburst was again highly challenging section of deep fine grain slush. (Kind of a nightmare) As was the trip to the bottom.

@James
NE Gathering 040322 121 ACR Conv.jpg
That’s not me even though the goggles are up.

Last edited:

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@DebbieSue how was your first SkiTalk experience?
Fun, fun, fun, see #70 above. Wasn't sure if I could keep up with the big boys. There was frequent gathering along the run and at the top of lifts, which surprised me, but I guess that's because folks were there for socializing as much as getting in laps or vertical. Outer Limits in the sunshine was an absolute highlight!! I would never have attempted it without the camaraderie of the SkiTalkers, not to mention that @James announced to the group that I said I wanted to do it on the lift . . . I did not!!! . . . what I said with some hesitation (@zircon and I think @mdf were witnesses) was "It IS a nice day, the bumps don't look SO bad, and we're here." I was very glad to enjoy the run with the encouragement of new friends; the mogul challenge party scene added to the excitement.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Fun, fun, fun, see #70 above. Wasn't sure if I could keep up with the big boys. There was frequent gathering along the run and at the top of lifts, which surprised me, but I guess that's because folks were there for socializing as much as getting in laps or vertical. Outer Limits in the sunshine was an absolute highlight!! I would never have attempted it without the camaraderie of the SkiTalkers, not to mention that @James announced to the group that I said I wanted to do it on the lift . . . I did not!!! . . . what I said with some hesitation (@zircon and I think @mdf were witnesses) was "It IS a nice day, the bumps don't look SO bad, and we're here." I was very glad to enjoy the run with the encouragement of new friends; the mogul challenge party scene added to the excitement.

That counts as a "yeah, I'm in, let's go" in this crowd.

Congrats on trying Outer Limits. It's an intimidating ride up the lift as you look at the run.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
So glad I decided to come along to the gathering this year! Couldn't have imagined a friendlier more welcoming crowd to drop in on. Thanks to @Guy in Shorts for hosting and the invaluable insider info, and @KevinF for organizing, and to all the new friends I got to ski with letting me hang out with you and waiting patiently while I cranked out 15,000 teeny tiny turns.

My weekend got off to a slightly inauspicious start as I got 45 minutes from home, late on a Friday night, and realized my ski pants were hanging on my laundry rack :doh:. Not quite brave enough to turn up to my first gathering in jeans, so I turned around and made the trek back home. Finally got to bed around 12:20am with snow coming down hard from all directions. Luckily, I was staying at one of those typically New England motels that time forgot and the owner very helpfully checked me in over the phone, gave me a room number, left the key inside so I could drive up and pass out, and waved me off with a cheery grin in the morning. Turns out his kindness was the real omen of things to come.

Saturday
Got up bright and early to brilliant sunshine and about 3" of fresh snow. Ended up booting up in Snowshed awkwardly next to a large Skitalk group debating whether to walk over and go "I recognize your faces from the internet." Decided against it. Took a warmup run off Snowshed, which remains some of the best beginner terrain in the east, and then off to Superstar, where I continued to hover awkwardly until @Tony S (I think) introduced himself. Took a first run with Mr. and Mrs. @Marker who is even nicer (and taller! Or maybe I'm just shorter) in person before somehow losing them and catching the back of the big crowd. Linked up with @DebbieSue, another new gatherer, acquired @James as an eminently qualified babysitter for the morning, and off we went. Deferred to the expertise of @Guy in Shorts (also incredibly nice, encouraging and supportive guide, generous with his local knowledge, etc.), who turned out to be Guy in Pants, and headed for the top for a few laps in some soft bumpy stuff before stopping for lunch at the Peak Lodge and heading over to Bear to check out the party. I may be the only one who thought the conditions on Wildfire were not bad at all. As is the way of our people, we then had to ski Outer Limits just to say we did, then died overheating in the coastal Florida climate at the base.

Back to winter with an ill-advised lap of middle Ovation, which had beautiful inviting easy bumps until you got to the exit which was... mud and vegetation. May or may not have straddled a bush and gotten stuck. Skied in the late afternoon in a splinter group with @KevinF and @Pumba my FX85 buddy until... "I think that was Tony" "Looks like he went to the bubble" so we hauled ass to the top of Snowdon to just barely catch a glimpse of an orange helmet flying off into the distance. "I think he went that way" and off we went at top speed. Ah. My nemesis from weeks past. Great Bear. Always looks great from the lift, never that nice close up. I at least arrived in time to watch the others pick their way down, and followed the route that minimized free stone grinds. Poor Kevin was not so lucky. Sorry! Finished the day lapping Highline, which, as promised by Guy In Shorts, was gorgeous bumped up edgeable spring snow, with a dwindling crowd. Hung out at the tailgate party until it started winding down, then went back to the motel and collapsed in a heap.

Sunday
Sunday morning turned out a bit colder, a bit cloudier, a bit firmer. Conditions ranged from New England hardback to ankle deep death cookies. Met and immediately dragged @mister moose into the worst of it, and then couldn't remember what he looked like to see if he got out okay! We all beat a hasty retreat from Bear Mountain and grabbed a few runs on Needles. Everyone headed in for an early lunch break while @Guy in Shorts led a couple of us (Kevin and someone else I think?) back to Highline where I had a blast pretending to be Mikaela on the smooth predictable surface. Somewhere along the way it was decided that we would next head to Snowdon, without ever checking whether the bubble was running. Spoiler: it was not. Rather than hike back up to K-1 the whole crowd let gravity take us down to Ramshead where we did not realize our dreams of shredding some sick park laps or whatever the kids are calling it these days.

Made the arduous trek across the miles back to civilization (where I finally found Marker again!) and got a front row seat to @ScottB's lift mishap. If you decide to sue, I'll testify you were pushed. After settling the snow conditions debate, we were back to Needle's Eye where everyone stopped for coffee(???) at the jerk chicken (??????) place. Got in an extra lap with I want to say... @Needham and @Dean. They were good sports waiting for me to make a thousand bouncy turns on bumps both real and imagined. Making mountains out of molehills? Moguls out push piles? Had a momentary lapse of judgment where we put two of the smallest guys on one side of a chair and the biggest guys on the other. If we tipped the chair over I'd plead the fifth but it turns out that lifts are stabler than past experiences would have us believe. Closed out the weekend skiing Superstar with the last stragglers until the lifts stopped spinning. @mdf definitely could have got in one last run if it wasn't for me.

Additionally rode lifts, had fun conversations, and skied extensively with @Phelmut, Mr. and Mrs. @Johnny V., @SKI-3PO and many others whose handles I'm forgetting. SkiTalkers really are at a higher level! Just managed to hang on through a combination of sheer will and a mild case of youthful athleticism and loved every minute of it. Will definitely be back next year!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Kudos to <correction> Forerunner on the access road for having replacement straps for my poles!
20220405_113501.jpg

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Well…there’s a bit more to it. There was this whole story about skiing Taos this season, skiing bumps, and planning to go back next year. There’s pretty much one thing people at Taos know about Killington, and that’s Outerlimits. There was then a lengthy discourse on going back to Taos without having skied Outerlimits.

That part of the story I can’t remember, but I think the Grumps were involved. I was distracted trying to get a package of beef jerky out of my jacket pocket with it’s diabolical Houdini pocket location. You have to have rubber arms to open it or dislocate your shoulder trying. Anyway, by the time I gave up trying, I was being offered lunch if I could convince the group to go down Outerlimits. That wasn’t difficult, nothing was said about how.

In the end I traded the lunch for answers to eye questions. For lunch, I got the pocket open, had beef jerky, cheese, coffee, and a cookie. Nearly made the ‘c’ list.

The accuracy of that story is still under investigation.
After settling the snow conditions debate, we were back to Needle's Eye where everyone stopped for coffee(???) at the jerk chicken (??????) place.
(Btw, you are not an intermediate.)

The snow debate will resurface.
Coffee at the Jerk Chicken place. We decided it was preferable to the nearby Bratwurst place for a couple of reasons.

-The Bratwurst place required going uphill some 20 yards. It’s much easier to ski down 3/4 of a mile than to walk up 60ft.

-No one was sure about the Bratwurst place. The chicken place is also closer to being vegetarian. Never heard of mock bratwurst.

—The chicken place was at the bottom of the run. Everything drains down there, so it’s harder for people to get lost in a dead end. Making people go up 60 ft, with the chance to not go up, get distracted, decide it’s not worth it, or ask “who goes to a bratwurst place for coffee??” Chances of everyone arriving is 30%.

- You hedge your bets and mix the coffee with hot cocoa. That way at least it’ll be hot, unless two systems fail, which is very possible.

- They had beer.

- @Guy in Shorts could take his boots off outside. I think this was the third time he did that. (Note for xmas present: collapsible slippers) The altitude of the Bratwurst place makes it too cold. Do we really want to cram 10 people inside a bratwurst shack? No.

-If people want to lap they can. At the dead end, there’s no where for us to go. Up top, we could end up anywhere.

See, there’s much more to these decisions than it looks like.

Now in retrospect, having to walk 15 ft over hay and mud to get in changes the situation, but probably not enough.

That’s not nearly as egregious as the top lodge though, where there’s no short ski path to ski down there from the gondola exit. Are we at a hiking resort??

Instead, you’re forced to walk down those endless metal steps that go up and then down carrying your skis. Turn the skis the wrong way and the tails get stuck in the metal grating. At best it’s like climbing around some oil facility in Alaska. When it’s cold and the wind is blowing snow horizontally, now you’re Edmund Hillary on Everest with some balky oxygen unit clinging to a moth eaten rope and any second you could topple.
If you decide to use the ramps, there’s so many switchbacks you’ll pass out from vertigo.

Much easier to have a groomer width trail to ski down. Put skis on, ski down, take them off. That’s what we do when skiing.

James

Out There
Instructor
How were we involved? We were 2K miles away.
If I had a dollar for every story you were involved in at the NEG, I could’ve bought a lunch entree, a coffee, and dessert at the Peak Lodge.

Btw, they’re making steady progress destroying the old bottom one. I think they’re doing it slowly so people get used to it, then they’ll get annoyed and tell them to hurry up. I’m already over it after 4 days and want it gone.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Btw, they’re making steady progress destroying the old bottom one. I think they’re doing it slowly so people get used to it, then they’ll get annoyed and tell them to hurry up. I’m already over it after 4 days and want it gone.
For those in the know: When the old lodge is gone will it be easier to get from the bottom of Superstar to the gondola base by leaving a less uphill path? Yes, skating is great practice and good for the soul and glutes, but can get tedious at times when the snow is slow and slushy.....................just a minor complaint. :)

Sponsor

Staff online