• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Mountain Biking

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
More snow, more fun today!

IMG_2467.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

Enjoying the extra float of the new D5s vs. my old D4s in new snow.

But when it's packed out, they are a bit less zippy.

As almost always, no free lunch!

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm almost feeling like we need a pin pedal insulated shoe thread.

Huge fan of the Bontrager Old Man Winter boots, but they are no longer offered.

I replace the goofy, Sorel-like, removable inner boot with a thick oversock, and I'm good without any other heat down to zero (though I only ride an hour or so at that temp). Bonus is that they are surprisingly light.

Plenty of others out there, but that's my only firsthand experience.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
45nrth boots and any composite pedal with metal pins that fits your foot. I currently am using the composites from PNW. Raceface chesters were too small, OneUp composite just didn't feel right, and the PNW is better fit than the others so far.

Reactions: nay
TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
45nrth boots and any composite pedal with metal pins that fits your foot. I currently am using the composites from PNW. Raceface chesters were too small, OneUp composite just didn't feel right, and the PNW is better fit than the others so far.

I missed the meaning of Tuna's "pin pedal" term the first time around. As a die hard SPD user, I've got nothing at all to offer.

And don't ask me about dropper posts. :ogcool:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don't worry, I got you covered for a winter dropper post! There is only one choice. Fox Transfer SL, all mechanical and I've never had an issue with mine in the deep dark Alaskan winters. For some reason, us flat pedal fat bikers are looked down upon. All the "serious" riders are using SPD's or Eggbeaters. I like my flats, just less things to worry about.

The rally car went into the shop today cause the brakes have been feeling fairly shit. They couldn't find anything mechanically wrong, broken, or really worn.. but did get a couple bubbles out and refreshed all the fluid. Pedal feels quite a bit better now and they only charged me $115 for it all. Okay, it's not really a rally car but it is a Subaru Impreza that I've lifted, added lights, and some little details that really make it rally inspired. Really I just made it fit for driving in Alaskan winters. Anyways..

I rode my bike to and from the shop and decided that winter time drivers really are not looking for a bike even tho I had lights and reflectors. So many encounters that could have been bad if I hadn't been purposely looking out for myself. Negativity aside, it was about -8*f in the morning and about -2*f on my afternoon leg and I mixed in a couple little trails and detours along the way to boost my attitude. Good ride all around. Picture is at about 8:40am and facing south, the sunrise wasn't till 2 hours later.
20231207_083806.jpg

Earlier this week I finally made it to one of the group rides and three of us wandered around the valley. Our ride leader had a vague idea of the route he wanted us to do and we sorta just made it up as we went. None of us really knew if all of the trails we wanted to ride were actually put in or not yet. Definitely ended up on a couple of sections that we had never been on before. First visit to the creepy penguin house this season! The penguin appears to have vacated his tree since I last saw him.. perhaps he'll reappear later in the winter. Trails are surprisingly good with the lacking of snow so far to fill in all the tussocks.
20231205_184829.jpg

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Frame bag yes! I got tired of generic frame bags not fitting well and wanted to simplify the bag. Really only need a main pocket and a small pocket plus I hate velcro. So I made all my bags with internal mounting and shock cord where I didn't have mount points. The current one is the 3rd version for this bike, i didn't get the lining sewn in properly in all spots so I'll have to make version 4 for next season. I've also done frame bags for my wifes fatbike and my gravel bike plus a couple of bar bags. My Mom is a retired Home Economics teacher, I learned to sew pretty early in life. Mostly I patch clothing and make bags for biking.

Poagies are made by a local sewing shop called Dogwood Designs. They are sorta the gold standard locally. I've never needed to attempt to make poagies because these work so well.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't worry, I got you covered for a winter dropper post! There is only one choice. Fox Transfer SL

Good to hear the AK blessing and I agree 100%. Nearly stone axe simple. And I've still got a killer Fox hookup from my racing decades. But for my fat biking, no need or desire to go dropper.

All the "serious" riders are using SPD's or Eggbeaters. I like my flats, just less things to worry about.

It's been so long since I've ridden unclipped, I'm afraid my feet would be misbehaving badly!

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
My Mom is a retired Home Economics teacher, I learned to sew pretty early in life. Mostly I patch clothing and make bags for biking.
I inherited a big sewing machine and I got it tuned up by the local shop, but I have NO idea how to sew. Im picturing the assembly of parts is similar to welding. Ive gone done a rabbits hole trying to learn on YouTube, but I need an actual project or it's too abstract for me to wrap my brain around. I think a stem bag or some kind of basic feed bag maybe my first attempt. Id really like to make a proper frame bag someday.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Heavy fabric projects are a lot easier to learn on. Sheer sh*t, bias-cut sh*t and (supernatural help needed), Lycra, are absolute nightmares.

Know what's actually a lot of fun? Needle felting. It's like fabric Lego.

Last but not least: pattern making skills are awesome and forever.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's a giant 3d puzzle that you have to make inside out! I can visualize it and whatnot in my head but not everyone can do that. My wife has a side business making hats and headbands but she can't wrap her head around how I can make 3d objects turn out right.
This was last year after I had peiced out and partially assembled my half frame bag on my gravel bike. Next thing was to sew everything together, inside out, then flip it to make the bag.
20220821_115435.jpg

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some mellow fun in a skinny two inches of new snow this morning.

ONE TRACK (mine)!

IMG_2479.JPG

NONE TRACKS (not for long)!

IMG_2480.JPG

And Ullr's own front chainguide?!

IMG_2483.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online