• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Mountain Biking

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wife is out of town this weekend and I went for a bike ride after helping move all of our Ski Patrol equipment into storage for the off season. The trails are so solid with the amount of sun and the beginnings of the freeze thaw cycle. I was following a gravel bike tire tracks for most of my ride, that's how solid the snow is down in the valley!

It was a bit windy too, wind blew my bike over just before I took the picture.

20230401_152319.jpg

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the latest ever "melt offs" for our valley floor, but might be back on dirt in a week, if the NOAA guys have the temp forecast right.

Ready for dirt, for sure!!!

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Tom K. I woke up to 3 inches of new snow that i wasn't expecting. The road service crew did a ton of hardpack removal yesterday, pretty sure nature is getting back at us for that.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
One of the latest ever "melt offs" for our valley floor, but might be back on dirt in a week, if the NOAA guys have the temp forecast right.

Ready for dirt, for sure!!!
We have a long way to go. Which is fine since that lines up with my recovery :D

CB1100EE-70A7-402A-BDD7-8D9338D4B8AF.jpeg

Also: Fezzari Kings Peak ordered with 30 week delivery timeline. That’s end of Oct so…about perfect for next season :wag:

Which assuredly will not be an all time snow year.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Surgeon told me today to get on the bike after the 11 week radiography - bone heal is progressing excellently. No technical stuff, but I can get out on dirt. He said push it hard as you can now, the bone will heal faster.

Aye aye, Captain.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
NBD :) !
Too much snow to ride trails

but I did take it for a ride on the road. This thing is almost as fast as an e-bike!
View attachment 198759
I have had my Spur out for four or five rides this spring and it is a joy to pedal. It is really fun on the trails around my house, which are on the mellow side. I am looking forward to getting into the bigger mountains and burlier trails when they melt out. It should be great on those climbs and make the descents so much more fun. I did my first speed test on the biggest climb near me and what shocked at what I saw. My PR is 6:10 on my old hardtail set when I had very good fitness. I was 6:24 on the Spur at the end of a reasonably intense ride and with almost no cardio fitness built yet. I fully expect to be well under 6:00 with another month of riding. The bigger and more technical climbs should yield even better results. So much fun!

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm currently without a mountain bike.. however, time for a new one. The sub $1k market is surprisingly good...
It's a touch over.. but this is worth the look. 65* head angle, 27.5 wheels, Microshift 1x10, an okay coil fork, cable hydro brakes.. https://www.poseidonbike.com/products/the-norton?variant=43854478573796

Tonights light was so flat.. this was the highlight! If any of you know what it is.. cause I have no clue and neither does most everyone else. There was signs on most of them in the valley.
20230404_194739.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I love my Top Fuel with a 130 mm Fox 34 with the Grip1 damper.

It has lighter compression damping than a Grip2 or Fit4 when they are all in their fully open positions, giving a more plush ride.

I think this might suit your lighter weight very well.

Unrelated: Did I hear you guys might be swinging through Whitefish soon? If so, Mrs. K and I would love to take a few runs.
Tom, can you give me the exact specs of the fork you ordered? I'm pricing them now, but am not super versed on these things and want to know if I am looking up the correct fork.

I finally got out and pedaled paved trails today. Got turned around at mile 2 by the Ogden river, which has flooded the trail. It's going to flood it in a lot more places soon, I'm afraid. Not sure when we'll be riding dirt around here!

Reactions: nay
TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tom, can you give me the exact specs of the fork you ordered? I'm pricing them now, but am not super versed on these things and want to know if I am looking up the correct fork.

Not really. It is not in the Fox catalog. ;)

The closest would be the latest greatest version of the (lowly) 34 Performance Grip, which also is probably the most inexpensive version.

I like the Grip for general, moderate trail use, over the (overdamped) Grip2 and (always kinda sticky feeling) FIT4.

Reactions: nay

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not really. It is not in the Fox catalog. ;)

The closest would be the latest greatest version of the (lowly) 34 Performance Grip, which also is probably the most inexpensive version.

I like the Grip for general, moderate trail use, over the (overdamped) Grip2 and (always kinda sticky feeling) FIT4.

Thanks!! I can't seem to find that fork in 130mm.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any ideas for quick but not perfect sag fix? The deluxe rear shock is still sagging to 40% on the road even though I pumped it up to 190.

I can order the seal kit. Are there any must have specialty tools for this, aside from the pump which I have?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Any ideas for quick but not perfect sag fix? The deluxe rear shock is still sagging to 40% on the road even though I pumped it up to 190.

I can order the seal kit. Are there any must have specialty tools for this, aside from the pump which I have?
Which shock?

Sponsor