• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Mountain Biking

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
A 2019 Rockshox Deluxe Debinaire.

I've looked at the sag doc for that shock and they recommend 30% sag and starting point for air pressure is rider weight including gear. It can vary based on suspension geo and rider position too. So if you're in the ballpark of 180 lbs you're probably just low on the pressure side. There's not much else to do. You can tune the curve but the sag won't be affected really.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This makes. I will pump it up more until the sag is around 25% and then start dialing it in.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I blew the dust off our bikes and took them to Tucson. We rode around on the pavement at my Mom's retirement community. It was good for @AKMINK to spin the wheels a bit since she hasn't ridden since her ACL surgery last April. Not sure if that's mtb or road but there is a bar...
20230405_124513.jpg

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Thanks!! I can't seem to find that fork in 130mm.
It’s only offered in 140mm in the current model version with the Grip damper according to Fox.

However, that model is usually an OEM spec. I see the current model (2022/23) in 130mm on Pinkbike. That one is good given the steerer tube is uncut and the price is reasonable.

BF1A19B5-53E5-4518-91CE-70EDFB2A7D91.jpeg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
First ride outside since my femur separation event. Feel pretty good, core strength is still recovering so my hands hurt on largely smooth gravel trail…or those are just soft now, too. Bike felt good as a mullet (increasing front to 29, not taking back down to 27.5), the Spesh Ground Control front is fast rolling. Rear to follow soon.

Pace, miles, wind and sun :wag:.

2FF2AA42-997C-4BF5-9640-75212E8544FF.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s only offered in 140mm in the current model version with the Grip damper according to Fox.

However, that model is usually an OEM spec. I see the current model (2022/23) in 130mm on Pinkbike. That one is good given the steerer tube is uncut and the price is reasonable.

View attachment 200258
My fear is I'll buy the wrong fork and it won't work, then I'm stuck with two.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
My fear is I'll buy the wrong fork and it won't work, then I'm stuck with two.
My thought is if I buy something reasonably priced my exposure is about $100 to turn around and sell it more reasonably priced.

i *think* down traveling the fork on my bike and going to a 29” front wheel is going to be perfect for what and how I ride. It’s 3 years of frame geo advancement and a generation of fork development tied to what a 140mm bike should handle.

These bikes usually spec to lightest possible weight and therefore short travel rear linkages. There’s an argument to lighten up the front end without an automatic giveaway on precious rear travel.

That could be a mess or it could be a rocket. Or it could be some of both. Impossible to know unless you try, which is why I like takeoff low use shocks and forks because that seller took the initial depreciation hit.

I adhere to what @Tom K. is saying with the Grip1 - simple with fewer adjustments is often the “max min” setup, meaning max performance for your $$$.

I have a Grip2 again, but I like the Fox34 a lot better than the Fox36 and there is more to a fork than the damper.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks!! I can't seem to find that fork in 130mm.

I see that. You'd just have to get a 130 air shaft installed. I think they go for about $60 and very easy to install.

Can often be found cheaper.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First, an observation: It always astounds me how quickly my interest plummets in all the skiing threads once our lifts stop spinning. :huh:

Second -- DARK SIDE WARNING -- I picked up a Fuel EX-e yesterday. I was planning something like this next year, for my 65th year on the planet, but everything fell into place, so I said "sure".

No significant dirt available yet here at home, but on Saturday, we're off to Bentonville for two weeks, so stay tuned..........

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
NBD :) !
Too much snow to ride trails

Very jealous, I was pretty sure I was going to add one of those to my stable this spring, but I dont think its going to happen… where do you ride? I’ll be interested to hear how you like it, most everyone seems to love’em!

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
No significant dirt available yet here at home, but on Saturday, we're off to Bentonville for two weeks, so stay tuned....

You been out to Beaver Lakes at all? Im going to take the gravel bike out there to ride the roads and dip into any singletrack that looks dry(if any).

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Very jealous, I was pretty sure I was going to add one of those to my stable this spring, but I dont think its going to happen… where do you ride? I’ll be interested to hear how you like it, most everyone seems to love’em!
I mostly ride in Northern Utah & the Tahoe area of the Sierra with occasional trips elsewhere. My previous bike was an Ibis RipMo which I sold last night!
Last June I got a Trek Rail E-bike which is also a big suspension bike which seemed to make the RipMo kind of redundant. My niece & her cousin (my nephew) both have Spurs & when my nephew was visiting last summer I had the chance to get on his & it just felt right. I figure any big technical rides l do will be on the Rail so the Spur makes sense for a lot of my shorter, close to home less techy rides or when I want to ride on trails where e-bike’s are forbidden.
94BBF268-5326-49F9-AED4-423DA0F8EB6C.jpeg

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You been out to Beaver Lakes at all? Im going to take the gravel bike out there to ride the roads and dip into any singletrack that looks dry(if any).

Not since last week, when it was neither fat- or regular-ready.

The dreaded middle earth!

I'd love a report if you get a chance to shoot me a text.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I mostly ride in Northern Utah & the Tahoe area of the Sierra with occasional trips elsewhere. My previous bike was an Ibis RipMo which I sold last night!
Last June I got a Trek Rail E-bike which is also a big suspension bike which seemed to make the RipMo kind of redundant. My niece & her cousin (my nephew) both have Spurs & when my nephew was visiting last summer I had the chance to get on his & it just felt right. I figure any big technical rides l do will be on the Rail so the Spur makes sense for a lot of my shorter, close to home less techy rides or when I want to ride on trails where e-bike’s are forbidden.
View attachment 200317
A Spur for lunch laps and an enduro class e-bike are the ultimate 2023 quiver.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
A Spur for lunch laps and an enduro class e-bike are the ultimate 2023 quiver.
I appreciate your vote of confidence! Time will tell if I have made the right choice :bikewheelie:

:)

Reactions: nay

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I see that. You'd just have to get a 130 air shaft installed. I think they go for about $60 and very easy to install.

Can often be found cheaper.
I definitely want to add more travel and plushness.
Or I'll just copy cat you and buy an EX-e! (On my bucket list. We'll see if I get tired of climbing this year--it gets harder every year.)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My early season little jaunts are mostly under water this year! The Weber River has wiped out sections of trail and I don’t think it’s going to get better.
One thing about riding around Ogden is you’re pretty much guaranteed to get an F-35 show.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Tom K. Fuel EXe is a real good deal right now.. Trek sale is why Ive got a Fuel EX 9.8 GX AXS on the way to replace my 2021 9.8xt. It was definitely tempting when I was standing at the register to just get the EXe. But at 36 years old.. I just couldn't when the legs are still strong.

Last nights ride was a good explore! We finally got lucky with traffic and conditions to make the creek rideable and we almost made it to next bridge. Overflow started getting deeeeep.
20230411_200039.jpg

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am not sure what you weigh, but my SIDluxe shock is pumped to 220 psi or so to get to 25% sag. It may just be an issue of more air.
Unless my scale is wayyy off I weigh around 183 plus a water bottle, clothes, phone and keys.

I did the full air purge and pumped it to 210 according to the instructions. The sag is still about the same but the dampening is much more progressive, for the better. Way more lively, a little rowdy on the roots. I think I can dial it in from here so long as it isn’t leaking air.

it rolled over this Little Rock nicely without overcompression.

860141E8-E55C-441D-A70B-BBECDE6BF368.jpeg
0730A708-0400-4E81-9D01-1621D8F49130.jpeg

Reactions: nay

Sponsor