• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 New England Gathering PSA & Prologue

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You just gotta move north...down to $6.99 a pound right now.

NYC area are running the same price. We also like variety in our meals.
Neither one of us is on a diet. Unless it's the see food diet. Three pounds of lobster and a stick of butter will take few days to burn off.

What I really missed are steamers. it's about $10/lb in NYC. Ouch.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn't get the Ikon base add-on to my Killington pass this year, so likely only in for Saddleback.

What was the Sugarloaf day ticket price for non-Ikon folks?

If you’ve been to Sugarloaf and don’t want to pay for a full price day ticket (or even an Ikon Buddy pass), I understand that. But if you haven’t been and you’ve now driven all the way to the Arctic Circle, it’s probably worth checking out.

I've appended the CURRENT numbers from the Sugarloaf website. They are, obviously, subject to change.

I agree strongly with SKI-3PO's comment. I understand that from the perspective of skiers whose world view is informed by living in the greater DC / PA / NJ / NY / CT megalopolis, a winter trip to Maine is a rare undertaking. If you're going to spend the time and money to come all the way up here, buy lodging, etc., saving $30 or $40 dollars on a lift ticket strikes me as a "penny wise, pound foolish" sort of thing. ESPECIALLY if you haven't been to these ski areas and therefore don't know what you are missing. If you talk to experienced northeast skiers who have been to all the major mountains in the region, you wil be hard pressed to find many who would not rank Sugarloaf in the top 5 alongside Stowe, Killington, Sugarbush, Jay, etc.

1661439338261.png

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd take steamers over lobster any day...not sure what they're going for up this way

::thinking about dinner tonight::
Last I looked here in town, $20 / 5lb from the local guy.

James

Out There
Instructor
Wait, is it actually in Maine or is this still conjecture? I see the Maine effect has people dropping out already.

People would commit to Utah a year ahead if they could. NE? Two weeks is pushing it.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Wait, is it actually in Maine or is this still conjecture? I see the Maine effect has people dropping out already.

People would commit to Utah a year ahead if they could. NE? Two weeks is pushing it.
I try not to plan any NE skiing more than a week out. Even at that my plans have been foiled by weather.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Well I dropped out but I could drop back in.

Where should one look for lodging supposing one were considering reconsidering? Nearer Loaf or Rangely?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't been to a gathering, but do you negotiate with the mountain at all? Back when Alpinezone had some leadership that cared about it, they negotiated some really good lodging and ticket rates with Sugarloaf for their "AZ summit". I think I paid $250-300 for a shared condo, 2 days of skiing, a party, and first tracks on Sunday morning.

Maybe @Tony S 's cat-herding skills are superior to mine.
They're not.

Generally, we’re more attendees than organizers. And that kind of organization often requires up front $$$ commitment that makes life difficult even for an organizer. And it doesn’t take long for the enthusiastic organizer to realize we are not well organized.

Quakers have a saying: "It's not that we have no clergy; it's that we have no laity."

Translation: All chiefs, no indians.

@Dadskier, sounds good. Here is the career path for realizing your vision:
  1. Attend at least one gathering to see how things go down in practice. Observe the attitudes and behaviors people exhibit as the date approaches and then as the event happens.
  2. Volunteer to serve as Gathermeister for a subsequent gathering.
  3. Attempt to execute your plan.
May Ullr be with you!

James

Out There
Instructor
I try not to plan any NE skiing more than a week out. Even at that my plans have been foiled by weather.
And this is why we count on 6 people maybe showing for NEG. Killington was a major exception. Clearly the answer if we want attendees.
Where should one look for lodging supposing one were considering reconsidering? Nearer Loaf or Rangely?
No idea. A yurt in the middle?
@Tony S would know.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Are you going to join us this year? Are we actually going to coax any Canadians out of Canada?
Well it's on the radar but there are a lot of factors for me. So the best I can say is we'll see. I enjoyed my trip there. No people and ice box cold. Love it.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is what happens when I start a stoke thread. James chimes in and next thing you know we're talking about skin disease.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
ames chimes in and next thing you know we're talking about skin disease.

Just be thankful he is talking about the more cheerful things in life.
It could be worse. Much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online