• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Road'n'Gravel Biking

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Ride Into the Valley of Underpass

IMG_20230413_131443.jpg
IMG_20230413_131217.jpg

Yes that is part of the new MUP.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^I didn't have my wide lens with me to catch all the lights down in the gorge. The funniest thing - every one of those lights is down there fishing illegally - because access to those rocks is forbidden and Md rockfish season hasn't started.

#Igotlostofficerandjusthappentohavealinetocastforperchandthisbassjumpedouthonest

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Did a little ride out in the Fort Valley and Shenandoah Valley in Virginia on Sunday. Took in the lovely gravel of Fort Valley, Crisman Hollow, Moreland Gap, and Woodstock Tower Road.

First off is Boyer Road in Fort Valley:

52845769256_6c134e904f_b.jpg

Posing the whip at the USFS sign at the base of Crisman Hollow:

52846166510_a78351e69e_b.jpg

Crisman Hollow in its full glory:

52846223458_72b37804c2_b.jpg

After that, Moreland Gap (where the most sinister part of the climb is the paved road before the USFS boundary - not pictured here):

52846166215_da43ffbe89_c.jpg

And then the top of Woodstock Tower Road (that's me as snapped by my friend PB):

52845143777_b9f16de1c9_c.jpg

The route was only about 25% gravel roads so many of us were on road bikes with wider rubber - and that was just fine, and better for those long paved sections, especially the descents.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Maiden ride of a bike that I'm not really sure if it's a gravel bike or a rigid mtb. It's a Poseidon Redwood that I call Chonks and it has a Microshift AdventX 1x10, 2.6 mtb tires, and knockoff carbon Surly Corner bars. I think I need a longer stem for it as it was feeling a bit short with only a 70mm on it.

The ride was a pretty simple 13 mile wander around town after work looking to see how the melting process was getting on. A decent amount of the route was conditions akin to skiing breakable crust.. but with water beneath it. It needs another week or so before a skinnier bike can be out and be enjoyable.
20230425_191757.jpg
20230425_184412.jpg
20230425_194133.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^440 RC 620 FC 60mm BB drop 74HA I call those Beach Racer geo. I confess I really lusted after the namesake of their specific type, the Koga Beachracer, when it came out back in '13-'14. I blame too many Ramses Bekkenk and Tom Dumoulin videos :)

BTW he's running these things... at ~8psi

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If we had beaches here, that would be perfect for this bike! I built it up with the intent of it being a not serious lower cost bike to ride whatever on. Im planning some adventures along the Denali Highway for later in July, specifically trying to ride out to 7 mile lake with a friend. And also going to be spending a few days inside Denali NP and using this bike as the main exploring tool from our parking spot.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maiden voyage of the Celeste (see gear purchase thread… I named it for its color), mostly to better assess fit. Overcast but no rain yet.

Haven’t been on a bike since 2020 I think. Did ~7ish chill miles on a local rail trail, barely perceptible uphill grade (“oh, so that’s why I’ve had to peddle this whole time!”) on the way out. Cruised on the way back.

I think I need to drop the seat post just a notch more. I’m pretty much at full extension at the bottom of the crank. But my torso fits pretty good and I like the relaxed mostly upright position. My torso is long-ish relative to my legs, so it makes sense. My problem IT band was twinging at the end, so I’m hoping that the adjustment will address it!

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When you go
Uh-oh. Is someone building up to a Pernicious Coasting Habit* :roflmao:

*TM Sheldon Brown
LOL yes. However, when you go for six solid months of fat biking on snow when there is no coasting unless the downhill grade exceeds about 7%. Anything less steep and you've gotta pedal to keep forward momentum going. You don't know that you miss the ability to stop pedaling until it's taken from you for six months. All of us start to complain about the lack of coasting when February and March roll around, we're just all done with it.

It's all down to rolling resistance. The best lab conditions with a tubeless fat tire is still something like a 30watt per tire penalty at 8psi. I don't use that particular tire and I run much less psi than that on a soft snow which means my rolling resistance is much higher. Most of my "average power" numbers from riding in the winter is around 100 watts, summer time rides are more like 200 watts. My perceived exertion for each style of ride is similar so I think the fat bike power penalty is around 100 watts of rolling resistance.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It turns out I’m really slow… but eh, I’m just here to ramble, gently condition my heart, and take in the sights.

Awesome. There is no "wrong" way to ride a bicycle!

Sponsor

Staff online